Hi-
I was originally just looking at Fender Tube amps like the Deville and the Twin Reverb. But, now i have been looking at the marshall solid-states. As far as power, im looking for a 120 watt solid state amp or a comproble tube amp (probably 60 watts or more). I am looking for a powerful combo amp, not interested in a stack. As i understand, Fender and Marshall Amps are the best. As far as price range, im looking for a amp in the $800-$1200 price range. I play mostly blues and country. I also get into a little bit of classic rock. But, mostly im interested in a "clean distortion". And i was told that tube amps are the best to get that sound. However, i also heard tube amps are very high maintainence and when you have to change the tubes, its expensive. So, could i get a nice sound if i bought a really nice marshall solid state amp? Effects pedals i have is a CS-3 Compressor, TS-9 Tubescreamer, BD-2 Bluesdriver, 535 Q Crybaby Wah, and a AD-9 Analog Delay. Which amp would go good with these settings? I am also looking for a amp with a good reverb and possibly tremelo (which they call "vibrato"on Fender Amps). Thanks for any help-
There is no such thing as the "best amps", it's hard to go wrong with a tube amp between 800 and 1200 dollars.
I would have to advise you against an SS marshall, most of the new marshalls are garbage, I'd go as far as to say that an SS marshall is the worst possible choice you could make.
There are plenty of decent SS amps, randall for one makes quality SS amps, but those are more geared towards metal.
Tube amps really aren't that much more maintenance really, and it's only about a hundred bucks or so a year - not really that expensive either.
Fender is a great choice for blues and country.
Clean distortion that you're talking about is referred to as overdrive, and it is considered a more natural distortion.
Anyways, can't go wrong with either of the deville or the twin, I greatly prefer the twin, but I believe it's also about 400 dollars more?
I would also recommend the crate blue voodoo for blues and rock, never heard any country on it though.
Last edited by tona_107 at Oct 21, 2008,
for blues, country, and classic rock a fender super reverb would be great. add a tubescreamer and your the man.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
You're looking at brands here, not amps. All of Marshall's higher end stuff are tube amps, but most is out of your price range if you're buying new.

That being said, tube amps do take a bit more effort to maintain than solid state amps and putting good tubes can get pricey, but tube amps are not really high maintenance and just about anything can be fixed when something goes wrong. Troubleshooting a solid state amp can be particularly tricky.

But look at amps, not brands here, going from a Fender Twin Reverb to a Marshall solid state is a huge gap in terms of quality and performance. They're in completely different leagues.
yeah, i agree with everyone who has posted here so far.

For example, a Peavey Classic 30 or Peavey Delta Blues might work well for you too.

Give us your closest major city so we can check craigslist for ya.

Higher maintenance is relative. You could go 2- 5 years and never need any new tubes. Someone on here recently found an old Laney amp that was 23 years old or something and it still worked fine with stock tubes. To al's point, if you have a problem with a solid state amp, you could pay thru the nose to get it fixed due to complexity.
I just figure Fender and Marshall are the top of the line amps. You always see professional musicians playing through either an marshall or fender. The Fender Twin Reverb maybe too much power for me, but however i might need the power. Normally i practice in my basement, but im probably going to big gigging and need the power to play with a full band in a decent sized place and i don't want to have to deal with stacks. So, i want a good powerful combo.
What you don't see is top musicians playing through Marshall SS.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
For example, a Peavey Classic 30 or Peavey Delta Blues might work well for you too.

I really like the Delta Blues with the 15" speaker. It kinda put the stops on the amp I thought i was going to get. On the fence as to what to do now.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
I think im going to stick with the Fender Amps. Im looking at the Hot Rod Deville both 212 and 410 and the Blues Deville along with the 100 watt Twin Amp, the '65 Twin Reverb, and the '65 Super Reverb. The Super Reverb is more expensive than the Twin Reverb. Why when the Twin Reverb has more power? Does any of the Devilles have the Tremelo feature, which i think fender incorrectly calls "vibrato"? Like i said i have some pedals and i want a versatile amp that works with the pedals. Like i said the Effects pedals i have is a CS-3 Compressor, TS-9 Tubescreamer, BD-2 Bluesdriver, 535 Q Crybaby Wah, and a AD-9 Analog Delay. I actually like the Hot Rod Deville and actually liked the overdrive channel on it when the "more gain" button was off, but I think i can getting a better overdrive from my pedals or crankin it on clean if im in a big place. The reason im leaning toward the Twin Reverb is that the reverb is better, it has tremelo, and is more powerful. I didn't really mess around with the tremelo. But, how good is it? How is it versus a Boss TR-2 Tremelo Pedal? The Tremelo is a big reason im favoring it over the deville.
Let me know what you think after your purchase. Your in the same ballpark i've been looking. To many choices and not enough cash. Isn't that how it usually goes.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

^ That. We see twins, supers and delta blues amps all the time used. A deluxe reverb reissue may work out well for you too. Only 20 watts but plenty gig able. A used Vibrolux would also work very well for what you play.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
asdaven - I'm not sure I understand all of your last post so I'll just say 'go get'em tiger'!

Those amp, (especially the Deville and 100 watt Twin) will be loud as hell. Especially in a basement. They are all great amps though. If the brand is more important then the application then buy a Fender.

BTW:

Tremolo - means the rapid repetition of a single note.
Vibrato - is a change in pitch to a note and is often repeated quickly with guitar (which is why Trem and Tremolo are mistakenly used instead of Bridge and Vibrato).

not sure on your question regarding what amp has what.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Tremolo - means the rapid (or slow) repetition of a single note.
Vibrato - is a change in pitch to a note and is often repeated quickly with guitar (which is why Trem and Tremolo are mistakenly used instead of Bridge and Vibrato).

not sure on your question regarding what amp has what.

^True, but on fender amps "vibrato" is what they call the "tremolo" effect. When I engage the vibrato on my fender, the note doesn't change pitch, it just wavers in volume at the speed I set it at. Your definitions are correct imo. They were smoking something at fender back in the early 60's is all I can imagine.
Whats the difference between the Super Reverb and the Twin Reverb? The Super Reverb is like $100 more than the Twin and is less power than the twin. The Twin Amp, which is 100 watts, and has a 1/4 power switch on it to go to 25 watts, which is nice. But, my main question is which Fender amps that i mentioned have a vibrato channel (tremelo) and which ones don't. Does the Deville have vibrato (tremelo)?
Quote by asdaven
I think im going to stick with the Fender Amps.

by doing this, you are cutting out hundreds of amazing amps, for what?

quality?
sound?
looks?

ALL THREE are incorrect. by only looking at fender you're not getting any more of those three things. just the brand name...

try out a vox ac30, to see the british voicing, and try out some fenders, maybe a mesa boogie (used). try some higher end marshalls(tube only, used of course) and try out a peavey classic 30, it's a great amp.

and Don't think wattage is everything, it means barely anything. there are 50 watt tube amps that are louder than 100 watt tube amps.

EDIT: also, 30-50w is all you'll ever need for gigging. any bigger places youll play you'll have a PA. or a house PA

also, what amp do you currently have? and what don't you like about it
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Oct 21, 2008,
I guess your right. I have a Crate SS right now. Its 65 watts. I think it would be barely enough if you competed with the rest of the band. The thing i like about Fenders is the reverb, it is distinct and i just like the sound of them. But, i should look at other brands also. But, what is the difference between the Super Reverb and Twin Reverb since the Super Reverb is more money than the Twin? Also, how good is the tremelo on the Fender Amps? Is it better than having a tremelo pedal or is the tremelo pedal better? Does the Fender Deville even have tremelo?
Thanks-
Quote by asdaven
I guess your right. I have a Crate SS right now. Its 65 watts. I think it would be barely enough if you competed with the rest of the band. The thing i like about Fenders is the reverb, it is distinct and i just like the sound of them. But, i should look at other brands also. But, what is the difference between the Super Reverb and Twin Reverb since the Super Reverb is more money than the Twin? Also, how good is the tremelo on the Fender Amps? Is it better than having a tremelo pedal or is the tremelo pedal better? Does the Fender Deville even have tremelo?
Thanks-

the super reverb i think is more authentic to it's original counter part. and the amps probably have difference sounds to them and such. one might even have more features... etc

and the tremolo in amp's is mostly better, unless you get a good tremolo unit like a
-catalinbread semaphore tremolo around $190-200
- empress tremolo (by FAR the best tremolo ever made.)$249
even some cheaper tremolos are great, its all about testing it.

The tremolo in amps is almost always TUBE driven, which makes it sound much warmer/"authentic"

and check out the peavey classic 30
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by gregs1020
^True, but on fender amps "vibrato" is what they call the "tremolo" effect. When I engage the vibrato on my fender, the note doesn't change pitch, it just wavers in volume at the speed I set it at. Your definitions are correct imo. They were smoking something at fender back in the early 60's is all I can imagine.

yeah, i wasn't questioning the term THEY use, as it obviously doesn't change the pitch only a fast repetition of same note like a fast delay pedal.

just wanted to clarify for others. Come to think of it, who was it that first started calling bridges that could change the pitch a 'Trem'? ummmm.

asdaven, I would have to go look up each amp on fender.com to find all the differences so maybe do that.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, i wasn't questioning the term THEY use, as it obviously doesn't change the pitch only a fast repetition of same note like a fast delay pedal.

just wanted to clarify for others. Come to think of it, who was it that first started calling bridges that could change the pitch a 'Trem'? ummmm.

asdaven, I would have to go look up each amp on fender.com to find all the differences so maybe do that.

Leo Fender started that misnomer

To TS: Fenders or Peaveys are your best bet,
pretty much any fender thats not a silver/blackface, or a peavey classic 30/delta blues
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
The tremelo pedal i was looking at is the boss TR-2. But, i guess the natural tube driven tremelo is better. I play blues and country. Is tremelo something important that is used in this genre?
It can be?

Some player's use it some don't. I was never personally a big fan of the effect. It's up to you to decide, I personally would not really bank on an amp having built in tremolo as a deciding factor for buying an amp. In fact for some amps, vintage Marshalls in particular, I'm much more keen on non-tremolo and prefer to opt for the extra gain.
My goal is to get authentic sound of blues and country and want to acheive this with the most basic effects as necessary. Wah, Overdrive, Delay, and Compressor is what i have in pedal. I plan to get reverb from the amp. I would like to stay away from Flanger or Chorus and fakey stuff like that. The tremelo sounds like a delay or reverb almost to me. Whats the difference? Im not sure if i need it or not.
the super reverb costs more than the twin because it has 4 speakers, and speakers are expensive.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by asdaven
The tremelo sounds like a delay or reverb almost to me. Whats the difference? Im not sure if i need it or not.

Tremolo is the note you are playing, turned up, turned down, turned up, turned down. The same effect can be made by being adept with your volume knob as long as you hold the note. Delay is the repetition of the note you played. Reverb is like playing your stuff in a tile bathroom or concrete cube or putting your amp in a tin garbage can - it's more of an echo effect.
So you don't live near a major city to search craigslist?
One last question- Whats is an FX loop? Do i need to get an amp that has one of these to use my effects pedals? Also, what is the main difference in sound between a 2x12 amp and a 4x10 amp?
Thanks-