This thread is to pay tribute to what is, in my opinion, possibly the best band Eric Clapton ever played with/in. Consisting of EC, Bobby Whitlock on keys, Carl Radle on bass, Jim Gordon on drums and Duane Allman guesting on guitar in the studio and some concerts, Derek and the Dominos created some spectacular music. Aside from the excellent album Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, which many cite as some of Clapton's finest moments musically, they were also a great live act. I have a 2-disc vinyl recording of Derek and the Dominos In Concert (which would later be combined with other live tracks to create Live at the Fillmore) which I'm currently listening to and really enjoying. The whole band has a bluesy/funky feel which I'm really into. Honestly, the rhythm section of Carl Radle and Jim Gordon is definitely one of my favorite rhythm sections in classic rock. Bobby Whitlock on keyboards and vocals provided Clapton with a very good songwriting partner and on-stage foil. And of course, Duane Allman pushed Clapton and the rest of the Dominos higher and higher on the studio album. The group (minus Allman, sadly, who was killed in a motorcycle accident on October 29, 1971) unfortunately broke up in the midst of recording their second album, which would have included the track "Got to Get Better in a Little While," one of my absolute favorite tracks of the band. Anyways, please use this thread to discuss a short-lived, but musically excellent period of Eric Clapton's career.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Just put Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs in my car yesterday. Great record and even better driving music. Duane Allman owns that record.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
The 'Layla...' album is possibly my favourite album.

Absolutely love the band, love the songs, the playing, the writing, the passion behind it all. Truly brilliant, shame they were so short-lived, really.
One of my top 10 albums ever. I agree that it was Clapton's finest.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I prefer Cream and Bluesbreakers (in that order) to D&D, but it still outshines most anything else in that period.

But couldn't this be continued in the Eric Clapton thread?
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian
I prefer Cream and Bluesbreakers (in that order) to D&D, but it still outshines most anything else in that period.

Derek & The Dominoes were about way more than just Clapton.
I understand that.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
i love Derek and the Dominos (Layla being my favorite track) but i much prefer cream...maybe just because i am a bassist and Jack Bruce has a killer style.
DATD is a great band. It wasn't a band that dragged on forever-it was just several individuals who managed to create a masterpiece of art, and then stop it there. Now, we have a fine album, with no strings attached. If anyone gets what I mean

But yes, Duane and Clapton are great on this
Quote by therussian

Because it must suck for all of Clapton's bands to just be called "Eric Clapton" all the time. Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos all were bands that included Clapton, but wouldn't have been near the same without the other members.

I mean in all fairness, Jack Bruce had more to do with the Cream sound than Clapton but he got kind of shoved to the side.

Oh dear, I've gone off topic!

I've got a bootleg of one of the 2 Derek and the Dominos shows with Duane. Great, great performance.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Thefallofman
Because it must suck for all of Clapton's bands to just be called "Eric Clapton" all the time. Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos all were bands that included Clapton, but wouldn't have been near the same without the other members.
This.

Quote by Thefallofman
I mean in all fairness, Jack Bruce had more to do with the Cream sound than Clapton but he got kind of shoved to the side.
That's debatable

Quote by Thefallofman
I've got a bootleg of one of the 2 Derek and the Dominos shows with Duane. Great, great performance.
You're welcome And according to the text file on that bootleg, that's the only show with Duane.

Layla and... is most certainly one of the best albums ever.

Thread stays open.

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by BrainDamage
And according to the text file on that bootleg, that's the only show with Duane.

I'm almost positive that he played two shows with them. I think there is only a recording of the one though.
^^That's what I meant. I wasn't sure if he played more then one show with the band, but 1970-12-01 is the only recording.
Quote by Thefallofman
Ok gotcha.

Saw the Allmans a week or so ago and they played Anyday. It's not really one of my favorites from the Layla album, but they did it justice.
Anyday = awesome.

That is all.
Quote by Thefallofman
Agreed. "Anyday", along with "Little Wing", is my favorite song from the album. The Derek Trucks Band and Susan Tedeschi performed an amazing version of the song at the last Crossroads Festival. I highly suggest watching it (regardless of whether you already have or not).

Derek and the Dominos is definitely my favorite band Eric Clapton was involved. It's sad that it was so short-lived.
Last edited by TheHeartbreaker at Jan 28, 2009,
Great band, but I kinda got the feel that Clapton was kinda selfish on the album. I think it needed more Duane, I know that he didn't play on the whole album but on the tracks he did play on I could easily use more of Duane. I'm not taking anything way from Clapton because hes one of my favorite guitarists but I think that maybe also all the drugs that they were doing probably had an effect on Clapton's ego.
Quote by ledhed68
Great band, but I kinda got the feel that Clapton was kinda selfish on the album. I think it needed more Duane, I know that he didn't play on the whole album but on the tracks he did play on I could easily use more of Duane. I'm not taking anything way from Clapton because hes one of my favorite guitarists but I think that maybe also all the drugs that they were doing probably had an effect on Clapton's ego.

I've got a fever, and the only cure is more Duane Allman.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Agreed. "Anyday", along with "Little Wing", is my favorite song from the album. The Derek Trucks Band and Susan Tedeschi performed an amazing version of the song at the last Crossroads Festival. I highly suggest watching it (regardless of whether you already have or not).
Have the DVD and have watched that performance many times, and yeah, it's very good. My only complaint with the DTB is their vocalist; his voice annoys me at times. Tedeschi's got pipes though. Oh, and then there's that Derek guy. He's good too

That whole run from Anyday through Little Wing on Layla... is fantastic. What a classic record.
Quote by Thefallofman
This was on wikipedia and is supposedly how Duane met Eric, "Duane was in the middle of a solo; he opens his eyes and looks down, does a dead stare, and stops playing. Dickey Betts is chugging along, see Duane's stopped playing, and figures he'd better cover, that Duane must've broken a string or something. Then Dickey looks down, sees Eric, and turns his back. That was how they first saw each other."

Is there any truth to this?
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
I have never heard that, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I don't imagine Duane Allman as one to do that, though, considering he was very confident (almost overconfident) in himself. However, since Eric Clapton is Eric Clapton, that is a reasonable reaction.

Quote by BrainDamage
Have the DVD and have watched that performance many times, and yeah, it's very good. My only complaint with the DTB is their vocalist; his voice annoys me at times. Tedeschi's got pipes though. Oh, and then there's that Derek guy. He's good too

Mike Mattison's voice is something of an acquired taste. I personally enjoy it.
Quote by Dchild042
This was on wikipedia and is supposedly how Duane met Eric, "Duane was in the middle of a solo; he opens his eyes and looks down, does a dead stare, and stops playing. Dickey Betts is chugging along, see Duane's stopped playing, and figures he'd better cover, that Duane must've broken a string or something. Then Dickey looks down, sees Eric, and turns his back. That was how they first saw each other."

Is there any truth to this?

I think that was in the Duane Allman biography Skydog. Clapton had heard him playing on Wilson Pickett's version of Hey Jude and wanted to meet Duane. One of the guys at the studio then took Clapton to see the Brothers play.

You can imagine how shocking it would be to see Clapton standing right at the foot of the stage. The Allman Brothers were still coming up at the time, so I'm sure it would be a bit unsettling.
Ive been planning on reading that soon. But holy ****, what are the odds of walking in at the time duane had his eyes closed and he doesnt open them until your sitting in front of him, damn.
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
There could be some exaggeration just to make a better story...

It's still pretty cool though.
Has anyone compared the different releases of Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs? I realized that I don't have a copy of this album on disc, only on my computer in sub-par quality, so I'm gonna try and pick up a hard copy when I go to the Virgin Megastore in NYC on my spring break. The 20th Anniversary Edition is intriguing for the bonus jams and unreleased songs, but from what I'm reading, many prefer the original mix.

I've had the album on nonstop all week. It's without a doubt one of the best ever recorded.
Quote by Thefallofman
^^In terms of the members of the band, sure. I still think Layla is the better album though, and that it features Clapton's best playing.
Quote by Thefallofman
I'm a huge Winwood fan though so Blind Faith is the sh*t to me.
But all the songs from Blind Faith's album are classics, but the only Derek and The Dominoes song anybody knows is Layla honestly...But it is a great album for sure.
But to me Clapton's playing has gotten pretty repetitive over 12 million album of twelve bar blues and bending notes on the 15th fret, its like he's not putting anything into it in the studio.
But live it's quite the opposite.
Pot
Kettle
Black
^^I'm a Winwood fan as well, and I definitely love Blind Faith's only album, but it's not even a close call in my opinion. I'd take the run of Anyday, Key to the Highway, Tell the Truth, Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?, Have You Ever Loved A Woman, and Little Wing over the six on Blind Faith any day of the week.
Quote by Thefallofman
Duane Allman > Steve Winwood
Derek & the Dominoes > Blind Faith

Just my two cents...
Quote by SomeEvilDude
The 'Layla...' album is possibly my favourite album.

Absolutely love the band, love the songs, the playing, the writing, the passion behind it all. Truly brilliant, shame they were so short-lived, really.

I haven't listened to their live album recently. It was re-issued a few years back-does anyone have it and does it hold up?
I was just listening to this last night, I forgot how great of an album it is.

Speaking of Winwood, anyone planning to see Clapton and him this year?
Quote by pak1351

Speaking of Winwood, anyone planning to see Clapton and him this year?

I'll be at the same show as A Rolling Stone.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Anytime you have Duane Allman and Eric Clapton together you know you have magic.