Hello everyone. What do you all consider to be the best under $200 guitar for hard rock to metal? Thanks.
im gonna go ahead and say the Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 is probably the best\

maybe not for metal but rock is extremely good on it and I can play lots of metal songs

I recommend it because it is extremely good quality and nothing on it is broken and i have dropped it 77 times(yes i counted)
Quote by AA00P
Forget genres, the real conflict is in the subgenres.

"LOLZ UR MOOSICZ NOT BROOTALZ ENOUGH ITS SYMPHONIC MELODIC ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL NOT SYMPHONIC MELODIC ATMOSPHERIC BLACKENED DEATH METAL CHUG-CORE LOLZ!!!"
^Do not listen to this. I've played the LP Special II, it's decent for starting out, but once you get serious about playing, it's not going to feel or sound very good.

Anyway, my best recommendation would be an Ibanez GRX20 , or, if you want the Les Paul shape, an ESP LTD EC-50.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 21, 2008,
Yeah the Epi Les Paul will be a good starting point. I'd also like to suggest the Yamaha Pacifica 112, it maybe a little over $200 thou. But check on eBay and you should get a Pacifica for less than 200.
BTW: the Pacifica has been regarded as the best beginner guitar for sometime. Stunning finish and quality and very easy to play.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
i would suggest getting whatever guitar is decent quality and stays in tune.. and play metal on it.. even if its an epiphone with p90s. i wouldn't worry about its ability to play metal..

cause you're not gonna get all 3 in one package under 200$ :P
dont get a name brand guitar for under $200 unless you can find a real one used. dont settle for epiphones or those subpar starter guitars from the name companies. there are plenty of no name companies that will make much better guitars for that price.
i'm using the ibanez rg120 cost me 199 it definitely has a nice metal tone to it
Gear:
Ibanez PC5
Ibanez RG120
Peavey Vypry 15w
The under $200 guitar should always be used.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by necrosis1193
^Do not listen to this. I've played the LP Special II, it's decent for starting out, but once you get serious about playing, it's not going to feel or sound very good.

Anyway, my best recommendation would be an Ibanez GRX20 , or, if you want the Les Paul shape, an ESP LTD EC-50.

ESP LTD EC50 is a mad good guitar. A buddy of mine has one and it's 10x better than my Special 2
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
id suggest an Agile 2000. i know its kind of cliche on here to recommend an agile but, for 200 bucks, if you want to get a quality guitar for hard rock/metal, unless you get a ridiculous deal on a used instrument... idk what else compares quality wise to the agile.
A used RG2EX1?
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems the LTD are popular as well as the lower priced RG's. I'll check them out as well as used. Thanks again.
Quote by HolmesMonaco
dont get a name brand guitar for under $200 unless you can find a real one used. dont settle for epiphones or those subpar starter guitars from the name companies. there are plenty of no name companies that will make much better guitars for that price.

I disagree, I think the jackson JS series is very good. But you're right, you can probably do the research and get a better guitar for that price. The thing is, if you're looking at a guitar <$200, you're probably not a the level where you're going to spend hours researching.
Quote by tigerking615
I disagree, I think the jackson JS series is very good. But you're right, you can probably do the research and get a better guitar for that price. The thing is, if you're looking at a guitar <$200, you're probably not a the level where you're going to spend hours researching.

Actually, level-wise yes (been playing for 15 years) . . . budget-wise is what is killing me. I expect to change the pups, tuners, pots, etc. piece by piece as long as I can get a good chunk of wood and a neck that won't turn into my next hunting tool. I'm glad you brought up the Jackson's JS series because it seems that they are about the only one's that offer alder bodies in this price range. All the other's seem to be basswood or agathis.

If I'm going to get an Ibanez RG, I might as well get a Cort X series (same guitar, factory and all) and save even more $$$.
I strongly recommend the Cort X-2, even though it might be hard to find. I got it for around $200, and it plays wonderfully. It's an extremely solid guitar, the fasest neck ever (on par with Ibanez Wizards), and it sounds pretty decent despite the cheap pickups. It stays in tune pretty decently, much better than any other guitar I've played in the $200 range.

And definitely stay AWAY from the Epi Les Paul Special II. It's just terrible.
Well, I ended up getting a Yamaha RGX 320 FZ I found at a local music shop for $200. He was asking a little more but he was able to come down a bit. I have to say that the RGX 320 FZ is alot of guitar for $200 - mahogany body with mahogany set neck, dual humbucking with nice tuners and string thru body. I'm very pleased.