Just started Uni and Ive been told I'm not allowed to use my amp anymore so Ive figured why don't I use my PC speakers, they are 70Watt's but of course not amplified.

Firslty, how can I connect my guitar/effects pedal to my speakers? Can I go direct into a Line In port (but have extremely low volume) or do I need a piece of hardware to boost the volume?

And, if I was going to record some music, would you advise me running it through the speakers and using the process answered above, using a microphone for recording sound or simply connect the guitar/effects pedal into the back of the pc (although wouldnt think mean low volume problems again)?

I posted a thread like this in the Musician's Talk forum and got responses signalling to download Audacity for recording (which I have done) but now I need to know about my volume problems when recording and playing when not recording.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me!
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
download virtuamp(search for it on ug) for playing while not recoding and also get a quarter inch to 8mm mono plug adapter (radioshack) and plug it into the line in/microphone input on you cpu thats what i do it works geat with no volume problems
]
Quote by Build An Army
Just started Uni and Ive been told I'm not allowed to use my amp anymore so Ive figured why don't I use my PC speakers, they are 70Watt's but of course not amplified.

...umm, 700W is amplified...if they were not amped they would not make any sound.....

If you want to use your computer as an amp and FX unit I highly suggest getting an interface. The PreSonus Inspire, Mackie Onyx Satellite, (not for Vista), EMU 0202 USB, and EMU 0404 USB are all very nice units.

GuitarRig and other programs are available to buy and they sound fair...nothing close enough to a real amp but close enough to mess around with.

As for recording you can use Audacity or buy Reaper.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 21, 2008,
I use my PC as an amp quite often. GTR Solo is a GREAT piece of software for guitar on a PC. Like moody said. Invest in an interface.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Ok cheers guy il probably go out to a music store close by and see what I can pick up for an interface and for software, Ive downloaded Audacity and il try out virtuamp in a minute
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
If you're going to be doing any recording, I'd also recommend that you pick up a set of studio monitors instead of using those computer speakers. Comp speakers really emphasize the lows and pretty much kill a lot of mid frequencies. This can really mess with your tracks as you try to eq them, as the mix will more than likely sound like crap on someone else's setup.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Amplitube 2 and a decent set of headhones is what I have at the moment, planning on getting an interface to improve the quality a bit soon. Amplitube is great, I was actually stunned by how good it sounds, I would recommend it strongly.