Hi guy's im looking to buy my first tube amp and im stuck between the Peavey classic 30 and the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe The Fender being £200.00 more than the Peavey, my question is does it sound £200.00 better. Im not gigging so the power output is not so important.
Last edited by SHORELINE GOLD at Oct 21, 2008,
what music are you playing?
Gear
Fender MIA Stratocaster (Sunburst)
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
Quote by SHORELINE GOLD
Hi guy's im looking to buy my first tube amp and im stuck between the Peavey classic 30 and the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe The Fender being £200.00 more than the Peavey, my question is does it sound £200.00 better. Im not gigging so the power output is not so important.

If u aint gigging the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe will be too loud to be practical for practise? What about a Blues Junior atleast you might get to crank it a bit... at home my Deluxe doesnt get past 2 on the volume and gigs I rarely got passed 6-7
Quote by johntb
If u aint gigging the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe will be too loud to be practical for practise? What about a Blues Junior atleast you might get to crank it a bit... at home my Deluxe doesnt get past 2 on the volume and gigs I rarely got passed 6-7

johntb - Maybe in the future i might gig if so i can add a cab to the Peavey, and i have heard a lot of people say that the Peavey is loud enough to gig with. i take your point with the fender being to loud for the house to practise
Quote by ClementWave
get the Hot Rod deluxe

But does it sound £200.00 better than the Peavey? that's the price difference
dont get the hot rod deluxe
i have it and i cant wait to get rid of it (im actually thinking of trading it for a classic 30)

it has pretty nice cleans and ive always been happy with them and it takes pedals really well. but the drive channel is so weak that when you push it with an od it only sounds mediocre.

basically if you want a good clean amp and you want to get your toen through pedals get the hrd. if you want to get an amp tha tjust sounds bitchin when you plug straight in get the calssic 30

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Like above poster said. The HRD wins over the peavey if your using a fuzz pedal for your gain.

EDIT: Obviously not just a fuzz pedal, i mean if your using pedal-based gain as opposed to amp gain.
If you can crank the clean channel you do get a nice bluesy break up........ same if you use the OD channel and have the power tubes working (gain low, volume high) it gets a creamy break up specially with a les paul, personally I love the amp I just cant practise with it...

And it takes pedals extremely well my Fulltone '69 screams thru this amp...

"Les Witty - Blues- SRV, Robert Cray, John Mayer, KWS, Joe Bonamassa"

Joe uses a Marshall Silver Jubilee and Cat 5's
John Mayer uses Two Rocks (I think)
SRV was Super Reverbs then Marshalls later on I believe

obviously these amps are expensive but I think from the peeps you mention a Marshall type amp might be the way forward?
Hi guy's thanks to you all for taking the time to reply, having tried the Peavey Classic 30 but not the Fender i would guess that the Fender would not sound £200.00 better than the Peavey, so i'm 99% sure i'll go for the Peavey with a G2D Creamtone pedal.
Go for the Peavey. The classic 30 is a great amp. All you have to do is google the reviews of it. Peavey makes some fine products too. I've been buying their amps for years and own quite a few tube amps from them. You know they are good when knock off companies have to come out with brands copying them!
Not to mention it comes in tweed or black! I think that tweed looks better than the black.
Well if you want the amp that everyone has, then go with the Peavey

If you want a good Fender amp like the Blues model, but with more gain, then go with Hot Rod.

The Peavey is 30W and the Fender is 40, so not too much difference.
Not much difference in weight either, they both weigh a ton.

Both are pretty versatile.
That's a tough call, but I would say Blues Jr initially. You could mic it at a gig, that's what I do. (I only gig rarely and it's small bars when I do.) But it's great for srv/blues/classic rock but you need a good od for any gain beyond usual tube break up. So if onboard gain is important, get the classic 30. All the amps are very good for what you play - you almost can't go wrong.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i had the exact same question and i ended up with a classic 30. IT FREAKIN PWNS!!!! It's got an amazing clean but when you put the boost up all the way, man its awesome. and if the gain isnt enough then just get a fulltone ocd for about $140, you will cover everything the hot rod has and what it wishes it could. GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anywhere else it'd be a toss up, for 200 pounds less you gotta go with the c30. The blues jr wouldn't be bad if you don't need crystal clear cleans at loud volumes.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I actually ended up deciding between these same two amps. I wanted the Hot Rod because I played it and it sounded great (although i couldn't crank it at the shop), but it was too big and loud for just jamming alone or with friends. Then I considered the blues junior for its size but heard it has sub-par tone to the Deluxe.

Then I found the Peavey - It's basically the tone of the Deluxe (with better overdrive) in a smaller, more affordable chassis. I say get the Peavey - that's what I'm doing.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
ive seen tones of used classic 30s for like 350-400$
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!