Right I've read the below threads and understand I've got to bite the bullet and learn these pesky scales. Can anyone suggest where I should start? I've googled scales and its all a bit overwhelming.

Does anyone have any sites or anything that can help me learn nice and straightforwardly (if thats a word)

Cheers amigoes
There's no real point in learning loads of scales, half of them aren't useful except in a specific context (In other words if you someday want to be an amazing composer, learn every scale there has ever been and make your own), but for now I would suggest maybe 3 scales to mess around with. I started by learning the Major scale, then Major and Minor pentatonic, then Natural Minor scale. Until your proficient in those don't worry about any other scales. There's plenty of info on UG, and google a specific scale name from above and you'll find something.
Don't go learning a load of random patterns, that's just going to confuse you. Best thing to do is start at the beginning and learn what a scale actually is. Start learning the notes on the fretboard and have a look at the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the Columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok ok

right heres my problem - I'm happy with the fact you can learn a scale
pentatonic for example and the root note is the key you play it in, and you can move it up and down the fret baord to play it in different keys.
but when looking at the major scale, theres 7 different modes - are all these in C for example if a start in C ionion position? but I have to remember where the different modes start if starting with C?

and where would these modes come in to play - if some dude was playing C F G with chords - could I turn up and pump out my c major ionion scale? and therefore Aeolian as long as the pattern originated in C?

help me before someone gets hurt!!
Get the hang of walking properly before you try to run. Don't worry about modes yet...you're trying to learn everyting at once and it's not going to work!

Just concentrate on learning and understanding the major scale. Spend more time studying the relationship between the chord progression and scale, when you've got a feel for the major scale move on to the natural minor scalem then study pentatonics...modes can wait for a while.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

advice taken on board hombre - you type in stuff to google and you get hammered with all sorts, its hard to know whats important at what stage and what isnt.

so i'll master
chord prog theory
the major scale
then minor
then pentatonic

modes can go whistle
That's the only problem with the internet...pretty much EVERYTHING is out there!

Did you have a look at the Crusade articles yet, they give you a pretty coherent framework to build your learning around.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

yeah they are pretty good actually - I just found myself skipping to the end though!

i'll take it slow like a first date
sounds good feltzer, you have your head screwed on right anyway and can take advice onboard .

Good luck with the learning