I've got an American Deluxe Strat with a floyd rose original bridge and a Dimarzio Air Zone in the Bridge. I want to get a new pickup that can give me heavy without mudding out. I'd love anything that can do Rammstein Rhythm/Chords, or Children of Bodom Riffs, etc. I don't want something that's stupidly high output that can ONLY be used for metal and that turns the clean channel into crap. Unlike ALOT of people that give advice on pickups I'm open minded, so please share any experiences with all kinds of pickups, what they were in, etc. Right now my amps a Marshall JVM 410 with a 1960BV cab.

A few I've looked at so far, IF YOU HAVE MORE PICKUPS TO TALK ABOUT PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT EM (Too often I post a list and people ONLY talk about what I wrote down)!

Like:
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Dimarzio Evolutions
Dimarzio Super Distortions
EMG-H4s (I might try getting these with the preamp boost like Alexi Laiho)

Dislike:
Seymour Duncan JBs
Ibanez INF Series pickups (I heard they're based on something, whatever that is..ew)
Last edited by Pacarazzi at Oct 21, 2008,
You can try DiMarzio PAF Pros, they have really nice tone, can handle 80's heavy metal, modern day metal, rock, jazz, blues, basically everything you throw at it and has really balanced rhythm/lead tone, the notes sound defined and don't get muddy at high speeds.
the Dimarzio Super Distortion is great, but the cleans may not be exactly what you want.

pups to check out:
Dimarzio Drop Sonic ( this is an incredible pup that will get you a nice beefy rhythm tone, with great cleans)
Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (pretty hot PAF tone. Think Van Halen. Good crunch, cleans also are pretty good)

I would probably stay away from the evolutions and the emg h4.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
I have a set of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot's in my white parts strat. They're great for cleans, and as you slowly ad some gain/distortion they go from clean to blues to classic rock, and finally to like a guns n' roses rhythm hard rock sound. I never knew until a few days ago how well these pickups could take a lot of gain because I thought they were just like all the other single coils I've ever played. I was actually playing some metal on them and it didn't sound half bad lol

They have amazing tone as well, whether you're playing clean or dirty. If I ever get around to making some clips I will shoot some your way. Mind you the Lindy Fralin pups are a bit on the expensive side, but I don't know your budget.
Why don't you use the neck pickup for cleans so you can have decent cleans, not to mention neck cleans sound a lot fuller in my opinion, and the bridge for the dirty work.

Say, you could have a Dimarzio Custom Custom or whatever it is in the bridge, and a Fender 57/62 neck pickup or a single coil for some nice cleans.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Soon as I find a suitable strat I'm going with these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfYlFEClapk
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
So far, the Dimarzio D-Sonic seems like the best suggested pickup. I love the tone on some of the clips, plus the pickup's eq seems perfect for me. I just don't want it if it's too one dimentional and can only do super heavy sounds. Basically, I want something that is AMAZING for metal, but can still manage other things. It doesn't need amazing crystal clear cleans or a perfect classic rock tone, it just can't be a ridiculously gainy/muddy screaming pickup.
i just posted this in my thread where i ask for comprisons of Mesa Boogies and Marshalls, I just thought i'd add it in here so that people could give me an opinion of a pickup. I think i'll just combine the two threads if they don't go too well seperately.

i just want to get what i guess i call "quality" metal tone. When i hear Rammstein, Children of Bodom, or Rob Zombie/White Zombie, I hear i your face riffs that just sound really metallic, and they're not overly distorted or muddy. I want to stay the hell away from what I consider more "crap" metal tone, like slipknot or SOTD. NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG-I still like those bands! I just prefer the metallic, thick, crunchy, and more defined sounds that come from bands like Children of Bodom, Rammstein, White Zombie, and Rob Zombie.
Quote by Pacarazzi
So far, the Dimarzio D-Sonic seems like the best suggested pickup. I love the tone on some of the clips, plus the pickup's eq seems perfect for me. I just don't want it if it's too one dimentional and can only do super heavy sounds. Basically, I want something that is AMAZING for metal, but can still manage other things. It doesn't need amazing crystal clear cleans or a perfect classic rock tone, it just can't be a ridiculously gainy/muddy screaming pickup.

the D-sonic is definitely not one dimensional. Like I said it is a great all around pickup. I have it and I must say it is my favorite pickup. I play everything from country to blues to alternative to metal and it works for everything pretty damn good.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by Pacarazzi

I had the D-Sonic, it sounded... different & unique. Its not exactly weird, just different. If you were in a band with another guitarist, the D-Sonic'll make you stand out. I didn't really like it, its not exactly amazing for metal. It can definitely do metal, John Petrucci (Dream Theatre) uses it, so that's saying something, but it ain't exactly METAL metal. The voicing of the pup is just really different.

If I were you, I'd go and try a D-Sonic equipped guitar through your rig or a similar rig before you make a purchase decision. A one-trick pony it ain't, but think of it as riding a brown pony when everyone else around you are riding white ponies. Its different and it ain't to everyone's taste, but it will make you stand out.

Have you considered the D Activator? Otherwise a SD Custom Custom would sound right for you.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by Pacarazzi
i just posted this in my thread where i ask for comprisons of Mesa Boogies and Marshalls, I just thought i'd add it in here so that people could give me an opinion of a pickup. I think i'll just combine the two threads if they don't go too well seperately.

i just want to get what i guess i call "quality" metal tone. When i hear Rammstein, Children of Bodom, or Rob Zombie/White Zombie, I hear i your face riffs that just sound really metallic, and they're not overly distorted or muddy. I want to stay the hell away from what I consider more "crap" metal tone, like slipknot or SOTD. NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG-I still like those bands! I just prefer the metallic, thick, crunchy, and more defined sounds that come from bands like Children of Bodom, Rammstein, White Zombie, and Rob Zombie.

Erm... turn down your distortion maybe? If I read you correctly, what you'd want more are good settings for your amp rather than to make massive surgical changes to your pickup. The pickup will impact your tone, but your amp and amp settings would be a better place to look first rather than on your guitar body.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
2 things..well maybe 3. I definately want to try something with a D sonic in it.

Also, I love the sound of my amp with several guitars, and now that it's come to fine tuning my sound I really think I might need something more powerful.

Last thing..is a SD custom custom really built for metal? I've had people suggest that to me before when I was looking for pickups, now I'm really interested in it..anybody have clips? I'm really surprised that I suggest EMGs (active AND passive) and higher output Dimarzios, yet people are suggesting the custom custom.
Quote by Pacarazzi
2 things..well maybe 3. I definately want to try something with a D sonic in it.

Also, I love the sound of my amp with several guitars, and now that it's come to fine tuning my sound I really think I might need something more powerful.

Last thing..is a SD custom custom really built for metal? I've had people suggest that to me before when I was looking for pickups, now I'm really interested in it..anybody have clips? I'm really surprised that I suggest EMGs (active AND passive) and higher output Dimarzios, yet people are suggesting the custom custom.

Ok, initially we were under the impression you wanted this....

Quote by Pacarazzi
I just don't want it if it's too one dimentional and can only do super heavy sounds. Basically, I want something that is AMAZING for metal, but can still manage other things. It doesn't need amazing crystal clear cleans or a perfect classic rock tone, it just can't be a ridiculously gainy/muddy screaming pickup.

Subsequently this was posted...

Quote by Pacarazzi
i just want to get what i guess i call "quality" metal tone. When i hear Rammstein, Children of Bodom, or Rob Zombie/White Zombie, I hear i your face riffs that just sound really metallic, and they're not overly distorted or muddy. ...... I just prefer the metallic, thick, crunchy, and more defined sounds that come from bands like Children of Bodom, Rammstein, White Zombie, and Rob Zombie.

To me that sounds like a SD Custom Custom, which has good crunch and is designed for distortion. Now you're suggesting you need

Quote by Pacarazzi
I really think I might need something more powerful.

We can keep suggesting all sorts of pups, but it'd be more efficient if you had a good idea of what you really want. There are tonnes of pickups out there. If you're looking for power, you could try the X2N or the D-Activator X for passive pickups. Those are literally scream out the gates, punch you in the face and kick you in the nads power pickups. The pickup come with a warning that having the pickups too high will result in the magnet's field reduce your level of sustain and affect your overall tone.

If all else fails, just go try as many pickups as you can. In my opinion, you'd want to consider the SD Custom Custom or the DiMarzio D-Activator.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 23, 2008,