I keep thinking "I think I'ma go practice a bit" but then I remember what I want to actually play and that ends up in bumming me out so I just sort of waste my time on Guitar Hero instead (stfu, I like playing it)

Like *WARNING: WHINING AHEAD* I'll start to play, but then a few Satch/Vai riffs will follow through my head and I end up just saying "what the hell am I going to do that's going to compare to these douchebags?"....

Essentially, I have no motivation for progressing with my skill.. And I'm thinking about (not immediately) just saying feck it and changing my priorities from music to whatever the hell job I get and go from there.

I don't want to sound like I'm giving up, but what else am I supposed to do? And before you all start typing out a huge amount of hate and GTFO MY FRETBOARD posts, Practising(sp?) doesn't really strike me as a "yeah! lesh do it!" activity but more of a "Do I have to?..."
-
It would be like hearing the bell ring on Friday, you have plans made for the weekend, but your teacher ends up saying "oh by the way, I want you to write a 20,000 word essay on the estimations given to approximate the next stage in evolution for our civilization" instantly, your weekend goes to shet.

</whine and bitch and moan and grunt>
MRavioli: Is Steve Vai still Steve Vai without a massive tremolo backing him up?
Retro Rocker: He could probably think one into existence if he had to.
In the words of the great Dimebag Darrell, "Just don't forget how ****in' great the guitar sounds".
Quote by bokma
My first time hasn't come yet.. but when I does, I'm gonna die of stage fright

Practise sucks, playing rocks.

Get a band and play live, you're motivation will come back.
dude, just take a step back.

just try and remember what makes you want to play guitar in the first place.

set yourself some goals that, even if it's not what you're trying to do in the end (vai, satch, whatever), make some progress (namely something easier than vai/satch but similar kind of style)

or just don't play guitar for a few days.

sometimes if you're fed up with it all, just take a break, then you'll come back and want to play again.

and like the dude above, play in a band.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Geez, you should be playing guitar because you want to! I go into my room glance over at mine and think hell yes! I gotta spare twenty minutes ill play whateva the hell I like!
And its quality as ****! If you can't play <insert name here> then play your own style. People don't wanna hear the next <insert name here> they wanna hear you! Listen to a different genre of music for a day, ask to borrow your mates ipod, get some inspiration elsewhere instead of throwing in the towel and sticking your axe on the nearest bonfire!
You already know the answer wether you think you do or not. If you dont have the motivation to get better and are unhappy at where your at then theres not much you can do in that respect. If however you are happy then pursue your dreams at whatevr level you are at. But from your post it seems you are wanting to give up, which is a shame but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Maybe even try having a break for awhile and seeing if you feel rejuvenated after that. Othe than that I cant offer anymore help since you hafve already said you won't practice.
Andy

ps. Practicing doesn't have to be boring so if you are interested in practicing so long as its not boring then ask on here. Many people will have ideas for you. I certainly wouldnt compare practicing guitar to a 20000 word essay at school. Practicing and seeing progression is FUN
What the **** do you want from us? There's only one place you will find answers to your questions and it aint here.
Si
I'm not going to give a stupid answer because I can kind of relate to that. My motivation comes from trying to play Satch/Vai/Johnson songs exactly as they do. I try to copy their covers because i'm not Satch/Vai/Johnson and my creativity is different from theirs. You may be trying to force yourself to create music that follows their style, but that maybe isn't your style. I copy their covers but when it comes time to make something of my own, I don't compare myself to others. What I mean is I cover Satch/Vai among others, but I make songs like Akira Yamaoka (slower more meloncholy/melodic stuff), because that's what naturally comes out when I play. I suggest you listen to what you play, and try an take that further. No point quitting the whole thing forever, just take a bit of a break with the intention of coming back better and more focused.
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Oct 21, 2008,
So what exactly do you want us to do? Motivate you? Grow a pair and don't be such a whiny bitch. We love playing guitar. We know it's awesome but there are frustrating times. Would you turn up to a hot rod gathering and bitch about global warming? If you can't commit to getting better then just be a pussy and quit.
Inhuman evil take down!
Well, you could have a few solutions. First I'll address
I'll start to play, but then a few Satch/Vai riffs will follow through my head and I end up just saying "what the hell am I going to do that's going to compare to these douchebags?"...

The thing you gotta remember, your trying to compare yourself to two of the best in the world. They have been playing 25+ YEARS..which I'm assuming is longer than you have even been alive. In that much time they have had uncountable hours of practice/live shows/ etc. etc. This is their career. Further, When Vai came to Satch for his first lesson, all he had was a guitar with no strings and a pack of them..he didn't even know how to string it. (Btw, check out the documentary on Satch "The Satch Tapes") This is a more modern example but I just read it, Matt Heafy of Trivuim practiced 8+ hours a day everyday from age 12 to get to where he is now...and I'm sure he can't secretly play like them. What I'm trying to get at is regardless of what you think or how it seems, NO ONE is born knowing how to play, Clapton almost gave up because he found learning guitar so difficult. I myself deal with this, comparing myself to my heroes...you cant compare yourself to anyone, everyone is different and everyone learns at a different pace.

Next is your motivation. The best way I've found (and will be backed up by others) is to just set your guitar down for awhile. Forget about it, don't try to learn any more theory, just enjoy your life. Soon you'll be itching to play again. If you do this and just don't gain any desire to play..maybe guitar isn't your thing. If you look at practice as a chore, you wont progress very quickly. For me personally, I don't really "practice" , because I truly love guitar and don't think of it as such. Another thing is.. branch out your musical interests, listen to a new style.

This sound horribly cliche but most cliches prove true; If you REALLY set your mind to it..and don't give up..no matter what gets in your way..you will progress.

Hopefully this helped and if you need anything else feel free to PM me, I've dealt with this subject personally a lot. Good Luck!

Jesus..a lot has happened in this thread while writing all that, there were no posts when I started .
Quote by 18th_Angel
So what exactly do you want us to do? Motivate you? Grow a pair and don't be such a whiny bitch. We love playing guitar. We know it's awesome but there are frustrating times. Would you turn up to a hot rod gathering and bitch about global warming? If you can't commit to getting better then just be a pussy and quit.

Hai anger *waves*

-

I just now thought of this:

I wonder if it has anything to do with what my brother has?... *thinking out loud* He has problems with depression too... Nothing like "I hate my life!" but that chemical imbalance that you just can't control that happens all on its own; I wonder if I have the same problem and I'm just projecting them onto my playing..

EDIT:

Get a band and play live,

Another problem, everyone around here sucks major ass. Like they think (I'm literally not joking) that playing 4 chords through a 7 minute song of nothing but OHHHRAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I HATE THINGS ROOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR is the best thing they've ever made.
MRavioli: Is Steve Vai still Steve Vai without a massive tremolo backing him up?
Retro Rocker: He could probably think one into existence if he had to.
Last edited by Luthfx at Oct 21, 2008,
And wtf is with all the dick replies? "Uh, Ok" And "Grow a pair" isn't helping anyone.
Don't do it if you don't want to. Also, don't think of it as failing if it's not what you want to do anyway
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Luthfx
I just now thought of this:

I wonder if it has anything to do with what my brother has?... *thinking out loud* He has problems with depression too... Nothing like "I hate my life!" but that chemical imbalance that you just can't control that happens all on its own; I wonder if I have the same problem and I'm just projecting them onto my playing..

If you're serious about this then it will be really hard and you won't want to do it but if you follow my advice you will feel awesome within a few weeks.

Only eat healthy food. Fruit and vegetables. Lo fat proteins. Whole grain cereals. Skim milk. Cut out fat, fried food, fast food, and empty carbs. Breathe clean air, only drink water and do it continuously throughout the day. Spend between 30mins to an hour daily doing some hard physical exercise.

You can control body chemicals through a healthy lifestyle. The hard thing is to have the desire to break the cycle. If you're down you can't be stuffed exercising today you'll do it tomorrow. But you got to force yourself. It sounds like work and it is but you will only get out of life what you put in. You need to find a buddy to work out with. It'll take three to six months to see physical improvements but you should feel good in just a few weeks.

When you get ripped by eating healthy and working out over the winter months you'll be set when summer roles around and all the chicks are checking you out everywhere you go and you feel ****ing awesome with roaring vitality you won't want to ever stop the healthy living lifestyle. You'll want to get out rock climbing and kayaking and doing shit and you'll just feel great.

I've been through depression and it sucks but you can beat it. Find a friend and tell him. Get him to encourage you and work out with you and not to take any excuses or let you off the hook for missing a session.

And good luck.
Si
get in a Jazz or Tech Death band if you want to improve your skills fast, you'll pick up some excellent stuff, moreso from the Jazz than the TD.
Dude, it's a guitar. Don't feel like you owe it anything. If you don't want to play it, then don't play it. Think about how many high school football "stars" there are out there, but how many make it to the NFL?

Music is not for everybody. I for one know it's not for me, simply because I'm not an emotional person. This is why I could always play insane music classically, but never play anything good when I try to improv (which is what really counts... making up you're own shit). I have no soul. Maybe that's why I joined the Army. Anyway, I started playing guitar because I simply have nothing to do and thought it was a good idea at the time. Now I'm $2 grand in debt for my guitar and trying to figure out why I bought the thing, haha.

Just do whatever makes you happy. That's the bottom line.
And ya, play in a band. Music seems to get better when you play with other people. Sitting in your room playing guitar for hours just to "get better" doesn't work. I'm doing that now and I hate it.
You don't sound like you've lost motivation to me at all. Sounds to me like you're getting scared. Not that I'm calling you a coward or anything. What you're feeling is totally normal. You're in the habit of comparing your skills to that of giants like Satch and Vai, and every time you try to duplicate what they do, you fall flat on your a**. You realize you can't compare to your idols, and knowing that makes you feel like sh!t. Now every time you so much as look at your guitar all you can think about is how inadequate you are. This isn't a sign that you lack motivation. Anyone would have trouble practicing if merely looking at their axe caused them misery. Your problem is that you're worried that you're stuck. You're worried that you'll never be able to make the kind of improvements your want to. You're afraid that you'll always be right where you are now, looking up at your heroes and thinking about how far below them you are. You're afraid of wasting hours of your time and a lot of effort and years later being no better than you are now. These are all normal fears, and I'm sure 90% of the people on UG have had them. I know I certainly have.

What you've got to do is find confidence in your ability to improve. If you can convince yourself that your hard work is paying off, that you are in fact getting better, you'll stop being so afraid. I suggest you start keeping track of your progress in some way. Identify some particular skill that you know you need to work on and focus on improving that. Set aside some time everyday to do exercises designed to improve that particular skill. And, write down an assessment of how well the practice went. Keep a notebook of these daily assessments, so you'll have them handy to read over when you want to. This can be really helpful when you're trying to build confidence. Not being very good at a skill even after three weeks of practice can really hurt. Looking back on your daily assessments and being reminded that you were a lot worse at it when you started can really boost the ego.

I'll give you an example of how this has helped me recently. I'm just learning to play keyboards, and I want to play a song that requires sixteenth note triplets played at 120 bpm. I've been practicing at this for at least 40 minutes every day for the past three weeks, and I still can't do it. The best I can do is 100 bpm. It hurts a bit, and I sometimes feel discouraged. But then, I look over my daily assessments, and I remind myself that when I first started this, I could only play sixteenth note triplets at 60 bpm, and I wasn't very consistent even at that tempo. Going from that to being able to play them consistently at 100 bpm isn't bad. I'm making progress. And, I know I'll reach my goal someday.

Another thing that might help you is a change in attitude. A lot of novice musicians feel dissatisfied with their practices. After they get done with one, all they can think about is how much better they wish they were. I'd guess about 95% of them get over this eventually. The other 5% have a chance of actually being good at what they do. Yes, you read that right. Good musicians are never completely satisfied with anything they do. They've just learned not to be discouraged by their mistakes, that's all. I promise you, when Vai gets done with a practice, he's not completely satisfied with his work. He's thinking of all the things he did wrong, taking note of all the little imperfections, and devising ways to improve. It's like the Geddy Lee quote I have in my sig, "Music is all about wanting to be better at it." It's an endless quest.

EDIT: Hot dang, I got long-winded, didn't I. Sorry for that. Hope it helped in some way, though.
"Music is all about wanting to be better at it."

~Geddy Lee

Quote by titsmcgee852
Hahaha. Probably the best post i've seen from an 08'er.

He was talking about me.
Quote by Luthfx
I keep thinking "I think I'ma go practice a bit" but then I remember what I want to actually play and that ends up in bumming me out so I just sort of waste my time on Guitar Hero instead (stfu, I like playing it)

Like *WARNING: WHINING AHEAD* I'll start to play, but then a few Satch/Vai riffs will follow through my head and I end up just saying "what the hell am I going to do that's going to compare to these douchebags?"....

Essentially, I have no motivation for progressing with my skill.. And I'm thinking about (not immediately) just saying feck it and changing my priorities from music to whatever the hell job I get and go from there.

I don't want to sound like I'm giving up, but what else am I supposed to do? And before you all start typing out a huge amount of hate and GTFO MY FRETBOARD posts, Practising(sp?) doesn't really strike me as a "yeah! lesh do it!" activity but more of a "Do I have to?..."
-
It would be like hearing the bell ring on Friday, you have plans made for the weekend, but your teacher ends up saying "oh by the way, I want you to write a 20,000 word essay on the estimations given to approximate the next stage in evolution for our civilization" instantly, your weekend goes to shet.

</whine and bitch and moan and grunt>

You should quit you called Vai and Satch douche bags...

The only way to get better is want to get better so stop bitching and want to get better or quit
Quote by Myung'sMusicman

The only way to get better is want to get better so stop bitching and want to get better or quit

^^^ signed.

When I started playing guitar it was in the early 90s. I didn't have online tabs and websites like these where you can get answers to your guitar problems. If you wanted to learn anything, you had to go to the library or look through all the guitar mags.

Very frustrating.
Quote by 20Tigers
If you're serious about this then it will be really hard and you won't want to do it but if you follow my advice you will feel awesome within a few weeks.

Only eat healthy food. Fruit and vegetables. Lo fat proteins. Whole grain cereals. Skim milk. Cut out fat, fried food, fast food, and empty carbs. Breathe clean air, only drink water and do it continuously throughout the day. Spend between 30mins to an hour daily doing some hard physical exercise.

You can control body chemicals through a healthy lifestyle. The hard thing is to have the desire to break the cycle. If you're down you can't be stuffed exercising today you'll do it tomorrow. But you got to force yourself. It sounds like work and it is but you will only get out of life what you put in. You need to find a buddy to work out with. It'll take three to six months to see physical improvements but you should feel good in just a few weeks.

When you get ripped by eating healthy and working out over the winter months you'll be set when summer roles around and all the chicks are checking you out everywhere you go and you feel ****ing awesome with roaring vitality you won't want to ever stop the healthy living lifestyle. You'll want to get out rock climbing and kayaking and doing shit and you'll just feel great.

I've been through depression and it sucks but you can beat it. Find a friend and tell him. Get him to encourage you and work out with you and not to take any excuses or let you off the hook for missing a session.

And good luck.

this and then sex.
Quote by Isidora
Great post...

+10000 to the whole point about keeping a practice log. It is very motivating to look at something you've just done and at first feel frustrated that it still isn't quite right. Then look back through the practice log, and only 8 days ago, you have an entry for the same lick/exercise, where you are totally struggling with it. And you say "holy sh*t! I went from that to this in 8 days". Goodbye frustration, hello motivation.

If you're not quite ready to quit, the only thing I'd add is to not forget the little things that make this so much fun. Like remember when you were just starting out and learned to chug out some power chords (if that is your style of music), and said "this is BAD ASS!". Well, try it now. It is still bad ass. Sure we all want to be able to play more complicated sh*t than that, and anyone who is serious will spend time working on that, but you can't forget and stop enjoying the simple bad-assedness of this instrument.
Quote by Isidora
You don't sound like you've lost motivation to me at all. Sounds to me like you're getting scared. Not that I'm calling you a coward or anything. What you're feeling is totally normal. You're in the habit of comparing your skills to that of giants like Satch and Vai, and every time you try to duplicate what they do, you fall flat on your a**. You realize you can't compare to your idols, and knowing that makes you feel like sh!t. Now every time you so much as look at your guitar all you can think about is how inadequate you are. This isn't a sign that you lack motivation. Anyone would have trouble practicing if merely looking at their axe caused them misery. Your problem is that you're worried that you're stuck. You're worried that you'll never be able to make the kind of improvements your want to. You're afraid that you'll always be right where you are now, looking up at your heroes and thinking about how far below them you are. You're afraid of wasting hours of your time and a lot of effort and years later being no better than you are now. These are all normal fears, and I'm sure 90% of the people on UG have had them. I know I certainly have.

What you've got to do is find confidence in your ability to improve. If you can convince yourself that your hard work is paying off, that you are in fact getting better, you'll stop being so afraid. I suggest you start keeping track of your progress in some way. Identify some particular skill that you know you need to work on and focus on improving that. Set aside some time everyday to do exercises designed to improve that particular skill. And, write down an assessment of how well the practice went. Keep a notebook of these daily assessments, so you'll have them handy to read over when you want to. This can be really helpful when you're trying to build confidence. Not being very good at a skill even after three weeks of practice can really hurt. Looking back on your daily assessments and being reminded that you were a lot worse at it when you started can really boost the ego.

I'll give you an example of how this has helped me recently. I'm just learning to play keyboards, and I want to play a song that requires sixteenth note triplets played at 120 bpm. I've been practicing at this for at least 40 minutes every day for the past three weeks, and I still can't do it. The best I can do is 100 bpm. It hurts a bit, and I sometimes feel discouraged. But then, I look over my daily assessments, and I remind myself that when I first started this, I could only play sixteenth note triplets at 60 bpm, and I wasn't very consistent even at that tempo. Going from that to being able to play them consistently at 100 bpm isn't bad. I'm making progress. And, I know I'll reach my goal someday.

Another thing that might help you is a change in attitude. A lot of novice musicians feel dissatisfied with their practices. After they get done with one, all they can think about is how much better they wish they were. I'd guess about 95% of them get over this eventually. The other 5% have a chance of actually being good at what they do. Yes, you read that right. Good musicians are never completely satisfied with anything they do. They've just learned not to be discouraged by their mistakes, that's all. I promise you, when Vai gets done with a practice, he's not completely satisfied with his work. He's thinking of all the things he did wrong, taking note of all the little imperfections, and devising ways to improve. It's like the Geddy Lee quote I have in my sig, "Music is all about wanting to be better at it." It's an endless quest.

EDIT: Hot dang, I got long-winded, didn't I. Sorry for that. Hope it helped in some way, though.

deserves to be quoted
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
I am 40, and just started playing again since I quit when I was in my 20's.

I regret all the lost years of growth, and where I could be compared to where I am.

I think you will too.
you can be a player like Satch or Vai and go to SCHOOL for guitar and be known only to guitar geeks, or you can make music for the sake of making music like i duno Joe Perry or Jimmy Page, players who got better gradually and with creativity. Believe me, you'll LOVE the guitar once you realize that it's a tool for expression, not one for copying your idols.
If you want to quit because someone is better then you, then you should, because "better" is opinion, so your always gonna be worse in someones eyes.

If you enjoy playing and not practicing, then play and don't practise, happiness always comes first.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
If you've EVER enjoyed playing your guitar, then DON'T give up!
I've only just picked up the guitar again after a gap of ten years (!) as I've remembered how much FUN it used to be.

I stopped playing as I had a very serious accident on my left hand, and so turned to programming music on the computer instead, but have now decided to finally dust off the old Strat (still needs a bit if work) and start playing again. It's hard work at the moment, but I'm having fun.

I can currently play bluesy solos, and am practising scales constantly; but I'm afraid that almost all chords are absolutely out of the question for me.

I now know I'll never be able to play most of the stuff I used to be able to play (Vai, Satriani, Metallica), but who knows - I might just find ways around my difficulties, and forge my own unique sound.

Isn't that a more worthwhile goal in music?
Ok Mr."Thinking about quitting it all"... WTF are your intentions with this thread? Do you want us to convince you not to quit? If playing guitar is really a chore for you, just save the world the burden of hearing you play and quit.
He's just venting some frustration, which is totally understandable. Rather than criticize him and tell him to stop bitching, don't post at all.

Guitar isn't a status symbol and popularity contest, where those who don't play are doing the world a favor. People can do whatever the hell they want with their life.
Quote by gardon
Guitar isn't a status symbol and popularity contest

What?
Next thing you'll be telling me there's no Santa
Si
to be short. if you don't enjoy it, if you view it as a chore, rather than a hobby, don't.

but don't hate music alltogether, i had a friend who felt the same way, and took up drums, says it's more active, and loves it.

so try drums, or keyboard, or something that's not guitar-ish, and see if it's fun.
Quote by unininium
Practise sucks, playing rocks.

Get a band and play live, you're motivation will come back.

my playing is actually pretty good, but uhh how do I get a band. I have no friends who play bass or sing and I have no clue where to find any, all I want to do is make a band but I just have no idea where to find people that want to make a band.
Quote by farcry
my playing is actually pretty good, but uhh how do I get a band. I have no friends who play bass or sing and I have no clue where to find any, all I want to do is make a band but I just have no idea where to find people that want to make a band.

Sell yourself, look in your school (if you're in high school, idk) or maybe an ad in the papers.

I believe I should get myself a band now...

But yeah, TS, all the points have been made already. Just think about it this way: if Joe Satriani or Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert could do it, so can you! I always think about it that way.

Especially playing Malmsteen-fast
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by Element30000
Well, you could have a few solutions. First I'll address

The thing you gotta remember, your trying to compare yourself to two of the best in the world. They have been playing 25+ YEARS..which I'm assuming is longer than you have even been alive. In that much time they have had uncountable hours of practice/live shows/ etc. etc. This is their career. Further, When Vai came to Satch for his first lesson, all he had was a guitar with no strings and a pack of them..he didn't even know how to string it. (Btw, check out the documentary on Satch "The Satch Tapes") This is a more modern example but I just read it, Matt Heafy of Trivuim practiced 8+ hours a day everyday from age 12 to get to where he is now...and I'm sure he can't secretly play like them. What I'm trying to get at is regardless of what you think or how it seems, NO ONE is born knowing how to play, Clapton almost gave up because he found learning guitar so difficult. I myself deal with this, comparing myself to my heroes...you cant compare yourself to anyone, everyone is different and everyone learns at a different pace.

Next is your motivation. The best way I've found (and will be backed up by others) is to just set your guitar down for awhile. Forget about it, don't try to learn any more theory, just enjoy your life. Soon you'll be itching to play again. If you do this and just don't gain any desire to play..maybe guitar isn't your thing. If you look at practice as a chore, you wont progress very quickly. For me personally, I don't really "practice" , because I truly love guitar and don't think of it as such. Another thing is.. branch out your musical interests, listen to a new style.

This sound horribly cliche but most cliches prove true; If you REALLY set your mind to it..and don't give up..no matter what gets in your way..you will progress.

Hopefully this helped and if you need anything else feel free to PM me, I've dealt with this subject personally a lot. Good Luck!

Jesus..a lot has happened in this thread while writing all that, there were no posts when I started .

I agree with this. Meet people who play. Enjoy playing, it's why you should be playing in the first place.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I complete and utterly agree with what Element30000, real artist just have a motivation or sorta fire that burns them. When I started guitar I was seriously shi*, everyone except for anther person and me ended up quitting. At a point I wanted to quit too. (Primary School)

In High school I started out shi* like everyone else in my group then after 3 weeks the three years of primary school lessons kicked in and I started learning whole songs from 1 hour to a week, when people saw that they thought they were shi* and wanted to quit + I told them I didn't practice (In reality I did).

In the end all of the people in my first group quit and one moved to another state (that person didn't move states because of me). Now the people in my group are nearly all equal in skill (five years later).

Unless you only practice guitar you will not be able to catch up to the skill level of Vai or Satch.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Oct 23, 2008,
People get discouraged when they don't see improvement. Try some excersises that show quick results, practice slow and use perfect technique and you will see results. Video yourself and watch it back to get some motivation, it usually sounds more impressive when you watch yourself than it does when you are playing.