Hi,

I'm trying to record onto computer. What gives the better sound quality DI or Audio interfaces like Mbox etc?

Or are they in fact the same thing? :S

S
DI has nothing to do with that.

You NEED an audio interface to record on a computer.
i already have a soundcard in my computer, so i was wondering whether a DI box would give me a clearer signal, rather than something like an MBOX.

Does an audio interface convert an unbalanced signal to a balanced one?
Quote by wellies
i already have a soundcard in my computer, so i was wondering whether a DI box would give me a clearer signal, rather than something like an MBOX.

Does an audio interface convert an unbalanced signal to a balanced one?

The MBOX will give a clearer signal. Your computer's soundcard will do what the mbox does but not nearly as well.

And the answer to your second question is no, I think. You might actually end up needing both.

Anyway, try Riffs & Recordings forum for more accurate info
Your internal sound card is probably shit. Don't worry, mine is too. Something like an M-Box is kinda an external version of your soundcard, but with a usb interface. It will allow you to control the level into your computer and put a certain 'colour' on the sound of your guitar. However, if you are thinking of plugging an electric guitar straight into an M-Box, it will still sound shit unless you are going to be using an effects pedal/pod externally or you have amp simulation software in a program like cubase or logic.

Also, an M-Box has multiple inputs/outputs for recording more than one source at the same time, as well as XLR connections with optional phantom power for recording using condensor microphones. There are other alternatives to an M-box too that are slightly cheaper and maybe just as good.
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
This should be in R&R...

Quote by wellies
Hi,

I'm trying to record onto computer. What gives the better sound quality DI or Audio interfaces like Mbox etc?

Or are they in fact the same thing? :S

S

A DI box and interface are somewhat one unit with modern interfaces...they have an instrument input most of the time so you can DI a bass or guitar directly into them.

One thing you really should get is an audio interface if you plan on recording.

See my sig for the UG Recording Videos I made.