hey..

i'm looking at stratocasters..

but i can't decide which one to choose cuz there're like so many..

i play music like john mayer, eric clapton, paramore, good charlotte, metro station, stuff like that..

i'm only looking at strats cuz they're comfortable and versatile..

i use a sucky marshall 15 watt and a squier strat that's ok..
hmm..

what amp?

i want something that gives good crunch like a marshall and also good bluesy tones like those fender amps..

what amp do you recommend?
Yeah, I suggest saving up for an amp first, because your Squier (I have one too) will actually sound good through a good amp (and no one else will know its a crappy guitar), while a GREAT guitar will sound absolutely terrible through a crappy amp.

What's your budget?
i don't gig and all so i don't really need a big amp..

a solid state will do..

maybe a 15 to 25 watts wil do??.. those amps don't cost much..

or should i stick to my marshall and get a Boss FBM-1?
Not much point getting another SS practise amp, try to stretch you budget for a valve amp?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
It sounds to me like he'd benefit more from a more playable guitar than an earshattering valve amp.
I agree get a better amp. Line 6 are pretty good even on a 15 watt.
Quote by OfficialBrad
i don't gig and all so i don't really need a big amp..

a solid state will do..

maybe a 15 to 25 watts wil do??.. those amps don't cost much..

or should i stick to my marshall and get a Boss FBM-1?

What's the point of getting another solid state amp 15-25 watts when that's exactly what you have now? It won't sound that much better unless you buy a tube amp...maybe a Valve Junior? You'll be way happier with a tube amp in the long run then you will with TWO solid states.
Quote by OfficialBrad
whooaa..

a valve for bedroom practice??..

There is a really small all tube amp from Ibanez, at a reasonable price.

Link

I've tried it, it can get loud and its a nice amp too. Can't remember if it can get you the crunch you want tho. But there are always pedals for that kind of stuff
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Quote by X_Op3th_X
There is a really small all tube amp from Ibanez, at a reasonable price.

Link

I've tried it, it can get loud and its a nice amp too. Can't remember if it can get you the crunch you want tho. But there are always pedals for that kind of stuff

I suggest if you don't want an all-tube amp, you should check out some Vox Valvetronixes. They are REALLY good for the price, and they will get you the sounds you want and more. And they're 1000 times better than a Line 6 Spider or MG.
Quote by Vlasco
It sounds to me like he'd benefit more from a more playable guitar than an earshattering valve amp.

There are such things as low-wattage tube amps, you know.

Edit:
Quote by OfficialBrad
hey does anyone know what guitar does john mayer use besdies his signature models??

Fender John Mayer Signature Stratocaster
- Sunburst Prototype (JM0001)
- Shoreline Gold w/Red Racing Stripe Prototype (Custom Shop)
- Charcoal Frost Metallic w/Grey Racing Stripe Prototype (Dennis Galuszka Masterbuilt)

Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature Strat

C.W. Fleming Masterbuilt Fender Strat/Tele hybrid
Quote by GNRjungle87
I suggest if you don't want an all-tube amp, you should check out some Vox Valvetronixes. They are REALLY good for the price, and they will get you the sounds you want and more. And they're 1000 times better than a Line 6 Spider or MG.

I've tried those Valvetronix amps, really nice sounding. And yeah Line 6 Spider's are only good for metal, from my experience.. Won't get you that bluesy crunch you want.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Quote by ibanezshred503
dont buy an amp first. Get a nice guitar, its not like your giging or anything. Get the guitar first because it will be something good to practice with. Good tone normaly comes within 700-2000 dollars anyways lol. Just get the guitar you like your original plan was.

Not true, like I said, there are some good low-wattage tube amps and Vox Valvetronixes are actually really good.

Quote by X_Op3th_X
I've tried those Valvetronix amps, really nice sounding. And yeah Line 6 Spider's are only good for metal, from my experience.. Won't get you that bluesy crunch you want.

Agreed.
thanks for recommendations guys..

but i was just wondering wether fender amps are good for distortion??
Orange Tiny Terror? Rather expensive but its great for what he wants and it can be switched to 7w

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by OfficialBrad
thanks for recommendations guys..

but i was just wondering wether fender amps are good for distortion??

Not really, they're normally better clean amps, the distortion doesn't really get up there...maybe just a slight overdrive when cranked, but other than that, not really. If you really wanted a Fender amp, then you can get pedals for overdrive/distortion. Hope this helps!
good idea..

ok, we're done with the amps..

back with the guitarsss..

which strat to choose from????..
Quote by GNRjungle87
There are such things as low-wattage tube amps, you know.

Well, sure, but it sounds like he wants a new more playable and more fun to play guitar, not a better sounding amp...

American standards are always nice if you have the money.
Last edited by Vlasco at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by OfficialBrad
yeah i was planning on getting that..

any good ones besides that?

I don't recommend the American...just my opinion. I think they are built really badly and overpriced. I would recommend a Deluxe Player's Strat over an American. Or, if it's in your budget, check out some Custom Shop Strats. I played a couple and I LOVED them.