Hello pit,

Does anyone here have Virgin Media as their broadband provider? My mate uses his laptop as a wireless link and it works at my house but when he goes home and tries it on his connection (with Virgin) it says that the DHCP connection is already in use or something. Has he not done something at home with his connection?

So mighty Pit, solutions are asked for!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
Virgin Media suck

/Thread

and i think you have to set it up with the different modem, because its not got the user or pass for it
does his router need forwarding (port forwarding) some routers needed to be configured for xbox live but were fine for other stuff, google port forwarding xbox live for some tips and see if it works.
Quote by saphrax
That doesn't make sense.

I think he tried to rephrase the question... I KNOW something else is using it because it tells him that. How would I reassign the DHCP??

Alternatively does he need to reset his xbox live account with the new modem??

Cheers
Quote:
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
Quote by Joycey
I think he tried to rephrase the question... I KNOW something else is using it because it tells him that. How would I reassign the DHCP??

Alternatively does he need to reset his xbox live account with the new modem??

Cheers

Nah u dont need a new live account, accounts are made over the internet not through ur modem

try looking into how to get into ur modem on the net like for example

10.0.0.138 is mine

in that place u can tinker with all the settings,
We've tried that but there's nothing obvious that needs changing, he's using a Belkin and they're usually pretty good I think, mine didn't need any tinkering anyhoo. I've forwarded him the port forwarding idea, that sounds like a half decent solution
Quote:

Have you told the 360 to assign itself an IP address via DHCP, or is it using a static IP.

If it's the latter, the subnet mask, the subnet it is on and the deafult gateway need to be checked and edited to match the network.

Edit: And Belkin are usually rubbish!
yeah belkin routers are shite, you'ld have much better luck with a linksys. also check the xbox live site and make sure the router is indeed compatible, there have been a lot of issues with certain routers. but the port forwarding idea should work.
Gear:
Ibanez PC5
Ibanez RG120
Peavey Vypry 15w
How would he go about assigning the xbox an IP address?? We're both a bit noobish (can you tell?) but i think he's got it on static at the moment.
Quote:

Quote by Joycey
How would he go about assigning the xbox an IP address?? We're both a bit noobish (can you tell?) but i think he's got it on static at the moment.

That'll more than likely be the problem.

Go in to the network settings page in the System Settings. Change it to use DHCP, see what happens.
wait im kinda confused just re-read your question. is he using the laptop or the xbox to connect?
Gear:
Ibanez PC5
Ibanez RG120
Peavey Vypry 15w
Ah ha! He shall try that.

Saphrax once again you win!
Quote:

Quote by The Jezereck
wait im kinda confused just re-read your question. is he using the laptop or the xbox to connect?

Xbox 360===> Laptop via with wireless (via bridge network) ===> Wireless router
Quote:

Woo Xbox!
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp