Alright. So I have an amp dilemma. Yay...
I've been looking at buying, and have been saving up for, a Peavey Vypyr 30w. I've been looking at this mainly because of all the effects and amp models, and I figured I could find what kinda tone suits me best.
My dilemma, though, is this. My mom asked her friend (who's husband plays in a band) if he had any old amps lying around that he would be willing to get rid of. Turns out, he does. He's got a tube amp (Dont know which brand/model yet) around that he would be willing to let go for $200.
So I could go with the Vypyr and try out shitloads of effects and such, or I could go with the tube. Should I wait to find out brand/model on the tube before I make a decision?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
find out what it is first... and do some research... just because its a tube amp doesn't mean it will "pwn" a solid state modeling amp. If you want an amp purely based on effects, and modeling capabilities, a vypr is a good start.... go for the 75 watt if you can
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by Jango22
Alright. So I have an amp dilemma. Yay...
I've been looking at buying, and have been saving up for, a Peavey Vypyr 30w. I've been looking at this mainly because of all the effects and amp models, and I figured I could find what kinda tone suits me best.
My dilemma, though, is this. My mom asked her friend (who's husband plays in a band) if he had any old amps lying around that he would be willing to get rid of. Turns out, he does. He's got a tube amp (Dont know which brand/model yet) around that he would be willing to let go for $200.
So I could go with the Vypyr and try out shitloads of effects and such, or I could go with the tube. Should I wait to find out brand/model on the tube before I make a decision?

In my opinion a tube amp is far better than a solid state, i would try the tube before you decide then go and try the other one, then you will be able to compare the two. A lot depends on the type of tone your after. in fact take your guitar shopping and try all amps in your price range.
Well, my mom's friend's husband emaild me back. I'll c+p the important parts:
The amp is a Crate. It's a class A all tube amp with a Celestion green back 12 inch speaker which is what Marshall uses in there vintage amps.|
It's 20 watts
has a master volume and a gain control. So it will scream { massive overdrive if that's your thing, it was always mine } at very low volumes to very loud. It can also be clean if you wish. All tone controls and Tubes are 2 EL84 power tubes, 2 12AX7 pre amp tubes. It also has a headphone out put though I never used it. That may be handy for that late night practice.
My amp is l little weathered. It was around $450 new.
So, its looking like im going with the tube amp. I'll just have to buy some stomboxes. Could someone ID it for me though? I looked around a bit, but couldnt find it.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
I think I found the model...it looks like a VC2112...I might be wrong, though.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Last edited by Jango22 at Oct 21, 2008,
That amp is awesome. I would love to have one. The price is right at $200. IF you want a straight forward hard rock amp with good cleans, that's it. It is not a metal amp but can get close with the right pedal. If you want a ton of effects, get the Vypyr. If you want an awesome tube amp, get that crate.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Sounds perfect for me, then. If anything, I can always pick up the 15w Vypyr later on if I wanna screw around with effects. Would I be able to play over a drum with the Crate?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Would it play over a drummer?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Then it's happening. Now I cant wait!
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
Then it's happening. Now I cant wait!

Good deal. And it should get over a drummer just fine. The cleans will break up a bit but it depends on your pick attack. Congrats - I want to find one of those.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Whats with it being virtually nonexistant on the internet?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Now it looks like i'll be buying an (apparently vintage) Boss super chorus for 35 bucks. I looked at GC, and found them for 90. Now, i know i'm getting a good deal, but are there older models that could be considered vintage?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300