ello

new guitar player here, and im looking to get a guitar..

im currently stuck with a friend's, no name, high as crap action, dodgey pick-up of a guitar, and am in the hunt for a cheap-ish, yet quality little number
sorta like the $300-400 range
already have an ok amp

not into the fenders
play mostly classic/hard rock, and a bit of your bluesy sorta stuff, and might start learnin some metal later on

what sorta guitars, specific models please, basically after rich tone, beefy sound, and a bit of sustain..
cheers
Ibanez make some cheap, good quality guitars. Though often associated with metal, I think you'll still be able to confidently use one for the styles you listed.
Epi G-400 ftw! it's what i use. does most things extremely well. though when you go humbucker/SC, you always end up wanting to get a second guitar that offers that other sound you can't get with your main axe.

even mixed pup-styled guitars don't have the same overall sound as a guitar that's solely one pup style- for those who say buying a guitar like a fat strat would solve that prob
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Ibanez quality sucks these days. You can change the action on your guitar pretty easy. Most guitars don't come with the way you want the action stock. Get the epiphone or a schecter. I've owned tons of Ibanez guitars over the years and recently even the better ones suck. They used to be the best guitar to start out with but now Schecters lower price guitars are just far better in the quality of guitar.
Quote by hcsn2008
Ibanez quality sucks these days. You can change the action on your guitar pretty easy. Most guitars don't come with the way you want the action stock. Get the epiphone or a schecter. I've owned tons of Ibanez guitars over the years and recently even the better ones suck. They used to be the best guitar to start out with but now Schecters lower price guitars are just far better in the quality of guitar.

+1
Quote by Horlicks
+1

+2
The G400 is the most mediocre guitar ever. Neck feels cheap, pickups suck. There are so many better guitars for the money
^to eurotrashed,

that may be today's G-400s, but mine from just a few years ago (i think it's either an 04' or 05' model) is rather fantastic for the price. but then again, i set up my intonation and adjusted everything to my tastes over the first couple of years. the pups ARE mediocre, but so are EVERY guitar's pups for under $500. no getting around that w/o compromising other aspects of the guitar, which IMO i'd rather the pups be the mediocre aspect as opposed to the wood or hardware, which isn't always as easily replaced.

get a used G-400, one from at least a few years ago.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
i got my daughter an awesome used lefty standard strat for $180 on ebay.

i got a new blem, scratch & dent strat standard for $100 on ebay.

i got an awesome MINT 2003 standard strat for $220 on ebay. (with live.com 30% paypal rebate)

i see you dont like Fender, so look for an SG or LP you can afford.

ibenez would be a bad choice.

Good Luck!
Last edited by BR0THERALEX at Oct 21, 2008,
I'd like to have me another fender strat. I had one as my first guitar 11 years ago. But I got into playing in metal bands and just never needed another one. Sold it a long time ago. I'd like to have another one to play some blues with and record clean parts. I just can't stand the sound of a strat in metal music. It doesn't feel right either. some people like it though.
Quote by hcsn2008
I'd like to have me another fender strat. I had one as my first guitar 11 years ago. But I got into playing in metal bands and just never needed another one. Sold it a long time ago. I'd like to have another one to play some blues with and record clean parts. I just can't stand the sound of a strat in metal music. It doesn't feel right either. some people like it though.

If you get something like a GNX workstation, you can get any sound you want out of any decent guitar.

so its no longer a sound issue. It comes down to what you like when your playing.
yeah im old school though... plus it just feels different and the looks too. I use tube amps and a guitar. No overdrive pedal anymore. Just a noise gate. So I keep it pretty simple. I love natural organic tones. So many people now mess with it so much that it just doesn't have that tone no more.
I dont know why people hate on Ibanez on these forums. I have an entry level RG and its freakin awesome!! The quality is great and ive had it for a year and no problems whatsoever. Although i agree that it is more for metal and heavier stuff but it handles everything well IMO.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^to eurotrashed,

that may be today's G-400s, but mine from just a few years ago (i think it's either an 04' or 05' model) is rather fantastic for the price. but then again, i set up my intonation and adjusted everything to my tastes over the first couple of years. the pups ARE mediocre, but so are EVERY guitar's pups for under $500. no getting around that w/o compromising other aspects of the guitar, which IMO i'd rather the pups be the mediocre aspect as opposed to the wood or hardware, which isn't always as easily replaced.

get a used G-400, one from at least a few years ago.

The pups that came in my $300 Washburn are better than the pups in my brother's Epi LP Standard, and his guitar cost more. I bought my Washburn over the G400 because the hardware is a lot better, the neck feels a lot better, and it was cheaper and better...
Quote by razerfaze
I dont know why people hate on Ibanez on these forums. I have an entry level RG and its freakin awesome!! The quality is great and ive had it for a year and no problems whatsoever. Although i agree that it is more for metal and heavier stuff but it handles everything well IMO.

Well, you haven't had a lot of experience with guitars then. I've owned tons of them over the years and their quality has went down big time. If you played an ibanez from 10 years ago vs one today you'd see what I mean. Theres even music stores who have quit carrying them and refuse to until they bring their quality back up to par. They aren't the worst company out there but compared to some other companies they just aren't cutting it. If you look at Schecter or ESP's quality on their lower end guitars it's amazing that you can get some of the stuff for the price you can.
What I don't understand is why people are recommending Ibanez's to someone who wants SUSTAIN ..

They're metal guitars. IMO the only one versatile enough to do anything else nicely would be a JS1000 or something.

Get the epiphone les paul or G400 and you'll be set!
The only worth while ibanez to save up for is the prestige series that vai uses.
I'd look into a epiphone lp standard. I hear beefy and I think lp.

sidebar: eurotrashed I'll give you ten bucks for the marshall mg50 if you pay shipping.
Quote by sesstreets
The only worth while ibanez to save up for is the prestige series that vai uses.

Ibanez JEMs are just as 'shit' as the RGs
Nobody likes Ibanez's.
Edwards LP with SD's.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Nobody likes Ibanez's.
Edwards LP with SD's.

Maybe people would like them if they weren't crap and overrated.
Quote by Horlicks
Maybe people would like them if they weren't crap and overrated.

Well I love mine, cough, now that I put the Pearly Gates in thar, cough. The stock pups were very meh admittedly but the guitar is seks.
Edit: removed ginormous pic, it's on my profile...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 22, 2008,
Agile!
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
What kinda music do you want to play?
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100