Last year I bought a Std strat MIM. It costs around $350. I have noticed since then that Fender has many versions of their successful strat line that cost alot more. Other than being made in America I am assuming that they contain better hardward. What would be some somewhat easy improvements I can make. I am thinking of changing the pick ups. I have never really thought of anything like this before the UG forum has inspired me. Money isn't an issue but would really only want to spend a few hundred at most. Any thoughts out there?
go for the vintage noisless pups.....amazing tone.

switch to american hardware if you can, as in the tuners and trem system. these are actually a big improvement in quality over the mim hardware, and maybe re-solder your electronics(and get higher quality pots/knobs if you want to, thats up to personal taste), and that should be good.
Thanks for the ideas. I did notice that it doesn't stay in tune very well. Will changing the tuning hardware help? This would make my life easier. Also where can you get the parts? Can you buy them from Guitar Center or a parts distributor?
Quote by McG5-0
Thanks for the ideas. I did notice that it doesn't stay in tune very well. Will changing the tuning hardware help? This would make my life easier. Also where can you get the parts? Can you buy them from Guitar Center or a parts distributor?

i believe you can get everything from musiciansfriend.com or perhaps guitar center would have them, but i would shop around first. in theory, higher quality tuners/bridge system does help the instrument stay in tune better.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
go for the vintage noisless pups.....amazing tone.

switch to american hardware if you can, as in the tuners and trem system. these are actually a big improvement in quality over the mim hardware, and maybe re-solder your electronics(and get higher quality pots/knobs if you want to, thats up to personal taste), and that should be good.

do that...
Fender SCN pickups, Callaham MIM trem replacement, and a bone nut will make a huge difference. I have just completed this upgrade today.
The American trem will not be a drop in upgrade. The MIM use trem uses a 2 1/16 mounting spacing, the American Vintage uses 2 7/32 mounting spacing, and the American trem uses a twin post setup.
If the strat is and 07 or newer it will have CTS, which are fine and done need replaced. You could look into an upgraded cap.
Quote by Davers440
Fender SCN pickups, Callaham MIM trem replacement, and a bone nut will make a huge difference. I have just completed this upgrade today.
The American trem will not be a drop in upgrade. The MIM use trem uses a 2 1/16 mounting spacing, the American Vintage uses 2 7/32 mounting spacing, and the American trem uses a twin post setup.
If the strat is and 07 or newer it will have CTS, which are fine and done need replaced. You could look into an upgraded cap.

You don't need the callaham upgrade, it's barely different from the GFS upgrade and a lot more expensive.

/flameshield
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 21, 2008,
Like Davers said SCN pups will do u good! i have a set in my strat... with the right setting i can get any sound from sweet cleans, to *almost* mad leads... i mean they ARE single coils... a nice od pedal will help u out there..... what kind of sound are u looking for? do u use the whammy alot? if not then get the 6-screw american bridge... its pretty good.. the 2 point system would mean filling the 6 holes on ur MIM strat and drilling 2 new ones for the 2 point..... but i prefer the vintage.. try an american strat and c how it feels... maybe one with the pups ur looking for
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
I have 1 USA Strat & 3 MIM strats. This is what I did.

i dont use the whammy bar at all. .....

so i screwed all the bridge screws in.

tightened the neck screws.

screwed the spring claw in till it was 3/8 " away from the body. I have 3 springs installed.

i use graphite lube on all the contact points.

i tightened all the tuners in place

stays in tune all the time

right now im playing around with different pickups, but the original pickups turnout to be just fine.

I have a GNX 3000 FX workstation and it's awesome. I can change my pickup & amp sounds without lifting a screwdriver. you should try one.

if you want to spend some money, get your guitar to a shop and have it re-strung & totally tuned.

plus you can buy pickups on ebay real cheap.

live.com search will get you 30% off with paypal.

good luck