right im finding this part of my playing unbelievably difficult and im not sure wether its me being lazy or just crap. i cannot stay in time with drums because its completely alien for me and also ive been trying for bout 3 weeks with a metranome and its really dosent work for what should i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ty in advanced!
first, try putting your guitar on clean. this is often a big problem with people.
also, slow down the metronome until its impossible to **** up. try hitting one not per beat, on the beat. once you've gotten that right, try 2. after that, 4, then 6, 8, 10, and so on. once you think youve got a good handle on that, speed up the metronome a little bit.
dont try any odd numbers other than 1, and maybe three, for a while. trust me, its more difficult.
once you get a good handle on all of this, start over, but this time, doing scales with it. start like this

c
d
e
f
g
a
b
c
then go back down.
after that, try this
c c
d d
one scale note per beat, but 2 of each, then 4, than 6, 8, and so on, and keep doing this like the single note excercise.
also, play with just you and a drummer ocasionally, playing strcitly rhythm, or maybe a drum machine, if you cant find a good drummer. i cant stress enough how important it is for the drummer to be able to keep a simple rhythm, and stay in time.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Is this a part of a song? Try slowing it down and playing along, increase the speed once you got it right.
Quote by kumamilesbear
first, try putting your guitar on clean. this is often a big problem with people.
also, slow down the metronome until its impossible to **** up. try hitting one not per beat, on the beat. once you've gotten that right, try 2. after that, 4, then 6, 8, 10, and so on. once you think youve got a good handle on that, speed up the metronome a little bit.
dont try any odd numbers other than 1, and maybe three, for a while. trust me, its more difficult.
once you get a good handle on all of this, start over, but this time, doing scales with it. start like this

c
d
e
f
g
a
b
c
then go back down.
after that, try this
c c
d d
one scale note per beat, but 2 of each, then 4, than 6, 8, and so on, and keep doing this like the single note excercise.
also, play with just you and a drummer ocasionally, playing strcitly rhythm, or maybe a drum machine, if you cant find a good drummer. i cant stress enough how important it is for the drummer to be able to keep a simple rhythm, and stay in time.

right basically my mates want me to join there metal band cos im good on guitar been playing nearl 3 years but my timing is below average and using a metranome is horribly hard (btw i havnt got a proper metranome using that one on the internet) i jusy need to know what do u play along with when playing with a drummer!!!!!!!!!!!!
I found timing difficult at first too. My solution was to buy a couple of rhythm training books directed at drummers, one basic, the other more advanced syncopation. Then I used my metronome, slowly at first, to play chord progressions with the rhythm patterns in the books. The metronome and drum machine are your friends. I use less metronome now, and more drum machine when I practice.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
I found timing difficult at first too. My solution was to buy a couple of rhythm training books directed at drummers, one basic, the other more advanced syncopation. Then I used my metronome, slowly at first, to play chord progressions with the rhythm patterns in the books. The metronome and drum machine are your friends. I use less metronome now, and more drum machine when I practice.

yeah but when playing along to drums what do u listen out for?
I haven't been in a band (yet) but I'd say for the accented drum beats that highlight your guitar. Depends on the song really and the structure but consider the drummer the one that keeps the time for you, and you go along with him.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
yeah i nkow but i cant keep in time with him that the issue here i need tips of what to look out for?
good on guitar and bad timing do not go hand in hand.

but that being said just like everyone else said play along to a metronome or play along with songs you know
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
it is difficult playing along with a metronome. play with recordings instead, listen to how the guitarist(s) relate to the drummer.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
listen for the snare, kick, and hi-hat/cymbals. those are probably the most important parts of the drumset to listen for.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses