Hey, if your a music teacher it would be a great help if you could answer a few questions for me. Im writing an english essay project on being a music teacher and i need to have an interview as one of the sources.

What is required to be a music teacher legally?

What education?

Where do you teach?

Do you work for yourself or for a school or a business?

What do you teach?

Anything else I should know about it?

Please give me a source so I can cite the interview if you dont mind. Or just tell me if you want to remain anonymous. to anyone who helps.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Last edited by 812many at Oct 21, 2008,
nobody can help me out?
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Someone probably could but most people are doing things between 7:30 AM and 2:00 PM...
Quote by 812many
Hey, if your a music teacher it would be a great help if you could answer a few questions for me. Im writing an english essay project on being a music teacher and i need to have an interview as one of the sources.

What is required to be a music teacher legally? Nothing, I teach piano and didn't do anything except find students and teach.

What education? I have 12 years experience with piano and I'm currently in high school.

Where do you teach? My house

Do you work for yourself or for a school or a business? Myself

What do you teach? Beginner- Intermediate Piano

Anything else I should know about it? I charge $10 for a half hour lesson.

Please give me a source so I can cite the interview if you dont mind. Or just tell me if you want to remain anonymous. to anyone who helps.

Answers above

I wish to remain anonymous
First of all, you need to be a little more precise about what you mean by "music teacher." Souls United has a perfectly valid case for calling himself a music teacher. I do some of that too.... but I am also what most people think of when you use the word "teacher" as opposed to "instructor."

I'll answer the questions from a "school teacher" perspective. The answers will be vastly different.

Quote by 812many

What is required to be a music teacher legally? In Ontario, Canada, you need an Ontario Teacher's Certificate. Other provinces have their own equivalents, as do the various states within the United States, I believe. This is a professional qualification that essentially declares that you are "licenced" by the ministry of education or state department as a qualified teacher. This is really the only real requirement, but in order to get it, you have to meet other criteria... primarily those described below under 'what education?'

What education? The minimum is a three-year bachelor's degree, which will be the minimum requirement to get your second degree, which is a Bachelor of Education. The reality is that a three-year bachelor's degree will not be enough. Admission to Bachelor of Education programs (usually one year, btw) is competitive enough (as is the job market) that you just don't get in with a three year bachelor's degree. You should have a four-year honours degree with at least an 80% average to be considered for entrance to Teachers' College. By the end of it all, you will have two degrees... I have an Honours B. Mus and a B. Ed. (your music degree should, ideally, include courses on music education) If you want to teach high school music (or any other subject), you need two teachable subjects. This means that, along with music, you will need to take undergrad courses that reflect another teachable area. (math, language, history, social sciences, etc.) This is part of your admission criteria to Teachers' College to take your senior-level qualifications.

Where do you teach? An elementary school in a middle-income neighbourhood in a city of 500 000. I have taught in affluent neighbourhoods, and in the inner city also.

Do you work for yourself or for a school or a business? I work for the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board.

What do you teach? I currently teach grade five in a K-8 elementary school. I have taught high school music, high school math, elementary music, and grade five. This is my 12th year teaching.

Anything else I should know about it? Pay and working conditions vary wildly from region to region. Canadian teachers do quite well. In our board, a starting teacher will full qualifications starts around $40K per year, and once you have enough experience under your belt, you work your way up to the top of the pay scale at about $85K. However.... if you decide to go into teaching for the holidays and the money... DON'T DO IT. Unless you really have a 'calling' to be a teacher, IT WILL EAT YOU ALIVE. You will NOT last long enough in the career to justify your investment in it. Be prepared for a 60-hour week to start, though you can whittle that down to an average of closer to 50. You'll deal with student behaviours, a range of parents from awesome to unbelievably insane, a public that sometimes supports you and sometimes resents your position and considers you an over-paid babysitter (my favourite comeback is "if it's such a great and easy life, why don't YOU become a teacher.... THEN watch them back-pedal!!) , and you may or may not have the support of your principal. You have great holidays, but you can't choose when to take them. Be prepared for YOUR holidays to coincide with the most expensive flights, hotels, attraction fees, etc. All that said, if you are 'the right kind of person for the jhob and feel 'called' to do it... it is awesome. I love it.

Sorry.... my source is my life. I live it every day. If you have any more questions, just ask.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
What is required to be a music teacher legally? Dependant on where you practice your teaching you should really have : Public liability insurance, a CRB certificate and some teaching qualification.

What education?Loads.

Where do you teach?School/ college/uni and privately.

Do you work for yourself or for a school or a business?Both

What do you teach?Geetar

Anything else I should know about it? Dunno... what ya wanna know?