so what gauge strings do the bass forum use? i used to use 100-80-60-40, but after a recent restringing mishap i fell for 80-60-40-40. its surprisingly funky haha. how bout u guys
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I tried 40-100s, but i found them to lack power, I went back to 45-105s and i think I'll stick with them for a awhlie
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
i live by 45 - 105 for my main bass but for my punk band bass i use 50 - 110 because we tune down to D standard
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
45-105 for standard
50-110 for drop C
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
40-105. it's nice.

maybe if/when I get a new bass, I'l string it wierd-ish with 35-90s or something
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
40-105. it's nice.

maybe if/when I get a new bass, I'l string it wierd-ish with 35-90s or something

cool, i find that wierdish gauges turn out cool, like my 80-60-40-40
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I have still yet to find strings that are fitting to how I tune. I tune CGCFG, any suggestions that are affordable?
i have 35-45-65-80-105-130 currently on my 6 string
GEAR

Ibanez sr506
Yamaha RBX170
Squier strat...
Hughes&Kettner Basskick BK300

Quote by ChemicalFire
Where's my lynching bat?
135-105-85-65-45 on my 5 string tuned BEADG. Holds tension brilliantly.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by anarkee
On rounds: 30-50-70-90 or 35-55-75-95

Flatwounds: 40-60-80-100

Oh... I understand, I mean you are only a gir-*B7*

Anyway, I use standard 66's.
I love my thin guages. I can bend the blues with just one finger! Viola!!!

I even liked super light gauges when I played guitar.
Rounds: 45-65-85-105, 40-60-80-100, and 45-65-85-105-130

Flats: 45-65-85-105
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
30-50-65-85 Rotosound Light RS66LA

And if i we're playing my 5's I would have a 105 as a B.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Quote by Asomodai
30-50-65-85 Rotosound Light RS66LA

And if i we're playing my 5's I would have a 105 as a B.

how do you get away with tuning to standard with those?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
45 to 105.
Although, I'm thinking of going for some 110s due to my lust for de-tuning.
Quote by skater dan0
how do you get away with tuning to standard with those?

Really good quality hardware and setup. (IE musicman hardware, Or After market baddass bridges and tuners)
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
45-105.or 45-130
though I've always wanted to see 110-70-50-40
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Just your 105 - 45, though I haven't experimented with any lighter gauge.

EDIT: I've got a question. Would a heavier gauge be better for tapping or lighter gauge? Or does that not matter? Just curious.
Last edited by Table Salt at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by Table Salt
Just your 105 - 45, though I haven't experimented with any lighter gauge.

EDIT: I've got a question. Would a heavier gauge be better for tapping or lighter gauge? Or does that not matter? Just curious.

I'm willing to bet the tone and sound will be different for varying gauges...
Quote by anarkee
I love my thin guages. I can bend the blues with just one finger! Viola!!!

I even liked super light gauges when I played guitar.

If you like light gauges and low tension, why not go short-scale? YES I JUST SAID THAT WHADDAYA GONNA DO ABOUT IT

Anyway, I use the standard Roto RS665LD, 130 105 80 65 45. I desparately want to try SM665, which is 125 100 80 60 40, but can't find the bleeding strings other than those awful RotoBass nickle ones.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 22, 2008,
Fitz

And I still do not like Neil Young.

I'm not a fan of the sonic qualities of short scale basses, though I must admit some of the ArtCore and the Fender Mustang are nice. But just not for me

I'll just stick with my Super Light Elites on my Ibanez thank you all very much.
I use Roto 66's 40-100 but I wanna test out some stadium elites so i can see if they are as good as people are making out.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
I use Roto 66's 40-100 but I wanna test out some stadium elites so i can see if they are as good as people are making out.

x

meh i liked stadiums for a while and i kinda went off them, back onto rotosounds
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
meh i liked stadiums for a while and i kinda went off them, back onto rotosounds

elites are ok. I like the Rotos better too.

then again, the only bass I've played with elites was passive, and I dislike passive basses...
oh I'm sticking with rotos. if I ever move to England, I'll try again. on an active bass.

someone should compile the results of this up. find the average string size of the forum.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
All I've ever used is 105s or 100s, but I've only used 3 sets of strings in my bassist life. To be Honest, I have no Idea what I could do with a lower gauge string.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
45-110TW, good ol' string-thru body.
Shame only Fender do this set, luckily they sound amazing, sustain of a Traben bridge with these strings! It's crazy.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I use .45 .65 .85 .105 .125 on all three of my 5-strings, and the same on the 4-strings (minus the B-string).
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez