Is this possible? I put in atleast 3 hours/day. Latley my hands have been getting achie, sore and crampie. Also you would think that playing more would make you better but I've gotten sloppier for some reason, and i do practice diligently. I can't actually remeber a day when I DIDN'T play. So, my question is how is it possible to get worse, which i am, if you put this much time into practice?
i would take a break for a day or two, it helps to rest

this happens to me sometimes, i don't really think you're getting sloppier, i think its just a natural part of the learning process, with rest you should be much better in a few days
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Last edited by Nihil at Oct 21, 2008,
firstly you have to be careful about using your wrists too mcuh - could come down with RSI or carpel tunnel or tendonitus. Thats usually only if you have bad positioning + use wrists badly for other stuff too (bad posture when typing for example)
plus make sure when you're practicing its 'perfect practice' - if you play sloppily whilst you practice it'll continue to be sloppy, just slow down to a very slow speed if needed so you are 100% unsloppy and work your way faster.
if ur wrists get tired and tight, ur playing will get noticeably worse...also if ur practicing becasuse your making urself, u may be mentally exhausted and have no inspiration or focus. If you think ur getting worse, take a few days off, go see a concert or watch youtube vids of diff bands, come back and you'll be amazed how much uve actually improved
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Muscles in the hand work just as if you were working out biceps or any other muscle group. Work out too much and you sprain muscles, stretch them in bad ways and then you'll stop benefiting from practise. If your hand is in pain when playing then take a break.
Stona's got the right of it... You'll have to be careful of what you incorporate into your practice when you're doing it. If you're writing bad habits into your technique when practicing slowly, all you'll be able to do is play those bad habits really fast. Been there, done that.

And the cramps and pains may be a sign of poor posture and tension. Take a small break and when you come back, work on eliminating tension when you practice slow, and work your way up without the tension. Again, I've been there too. I was able to catch my tension early enough as to not do any real damage, and I'm sure you will too.
Quote by flame843
My original intent was to put "...but never trust the French," but I didn't for fear of starting a flame war with some French UGER.

Quote by Funkbass796
why worry about that? They'd surrender immediatly.
maybe you think your playing sloppy your just becomeing overcritical
QUOTE=HappyDrugs]Spectator mode.

Quote by Daneeka
Oh God, this is the fastest win i have ever seen.

I think the mods can't bare with your epicness and banned you.

Let's blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
Quality of practice is the most important thing to bare in mind rather than quantity. Half an hour to an hour of effective practice each day is quite sufficient.
Last edited by Eirien at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by Eirien
Quality of practice is the most important thing to bare in mind rather than quality. Half an hour to an hour of effective practice each day is quite sufficient.

I'm sure you meant quality over quantity. Honest mistake, not nitpicking.
Quote by flame843
My original intent was to put "...but never trust the French," but I didn't for fear of starting a flame war with some French UGER.

Quote by Funkbass796
why worry about that? They'd surrender immediatly.
It sounds like you've got some fatigue building up. For starters, a day or two off will work wonders.
Mental fatigue is another factor. After a very long period with no days off, you get a bit sick of it, so again, a couple of days off can help it seem fresh again.
Then as edg refered to, look at your technique. I know for me personally, in the past I would practice 5 hrs in one day, and the next day barely be able to bend my wrist. Not good. These days (and a lot of technique improvement later), I can practice that many hours several days in a row, and there might be a little general fatigue, but otherwise no ill effects.
Also, how much are you varying things as you practice? It's important to stick on one thing long enough to have a chance to really work on it, but if you stay on one thing too long, this can cause stagnation.
Quote by TheWarlock724
I'm sure you meant quality over quantity. Honest mistake, not nitpicking.

Yeah of course, good catch
Quote by se012101
It sounds like you've got some fatigue building up. For starters, a day or two off will work wonders.
Mental fatigue is another factor. After a very long period with no days off, you get a bit sick of it, so again, a couple of days off can help it seem fresh again.
Then as edg refered to, look at your technique. I know for me personally, in the past I would practice 5 hrs in one day, and the next day barely be able to bend my wrist. Not good. These days (and a lot of technique improvement later), I can practice that many hours several days in a row, and there might be a little general fatigue, but otherwise no ill effects.
Also, how much are you varying things as you practice? It's important to stick on one thing long enough to have a chance to really work on it, but if you stay on one thing too long, this can cause stagnation.

Well i don't practice at really fast speed or anything like that. I general just start out slow and warm up with chromatic exercies for 30 minutes, then work on weaknesses for another 30 minutes. other two hours is mosty either songs or techniques or something like that.

And another thing is solos are really hard for me for some reason. I'm not exactly noob because I've got 4 years, but I only really know like 4 or 5 solos and they are simple ones.
I'd say when you get pain because of practicing too much, you should take a break. Pretty obvious. Also, if you practice so much that you lose focus, you'll learn with more errors and basically waste your own time.

Another thing: how easy you will learn differs alot from person to person. I'd say that the most important thing is will for learning the certain thing and dedication to practicing it. Sooner or later it will 'click' and you'll have nailed it
The only way too much practice or playing has ever hurt me is in my creativity, sometimes a few days laying off the guitar is what I need to hit a creative streak again
Yes, its possible to over practice.

If you find that you're not making any progress even though you're spending hours and hours per day, you may want to take a break and try to find a way to make your practice time more effective. It's not a matter of putting more time in, it's a matter of what you do with that time.

also as somebody mentioned, overusing your arms/ wrist/ hands/ fingers....... could possibly lead to an RSI (repetitive strain injury..... carpal tunnel, tendonitis....ect). these can be caused by tension and/or simply overusing. if you're feeling any kind of pain or aches now, take a break, and reassess your practice routine.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 21, 2008,
Its not how much you practice, its what you practice.

And dont get practice confused with playing. Id be willing to bet only a small slice of those 3 hours is actual practice
Id say they are. I think practicing is sitting down with goals in mind mainly, where as playing is more just playing with some CDs and such.

Also, if your only playing 3 hours and your getting cramps, either your technique is wrong, or you have a medical condition
Is it possible, I think hard to say? To make overpractice with guitar, It sounds like what you are practicing is tension. When you're relaxed, you can play a long long time without getting crampie, achie and sore. And the cramps and pains may be a sign of poor posture and tension. Practice make a man perfect but some rest is also compulsory for our lives.
Also, if your only playing 3 hours and your getting cramps, either your technique is wrong, or you have a medical condition

this is correct in my opinion

the only thing that happens to me after 3 hours of practice/playing is the veins in back of my hands and up my arms look like they are about to explode

when i(rarely) hurt my hand or fingertips due to playing i just take a day or two off and everything fine again.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
the only thing that happens to me after 3 hours of practice/playing is the veins in back of my hands and up my arms look like they are about to explode

That only happened to me once. I was freakin out, like "how the hell did this happen?!"

But I guess the only thing that happens now after 3 hours of practice is my hands tingling a little. So yeah, overpractice can happen. Just take frequent breaks and stretch often.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
I know exactly how you feel, I have this problem too. Last night for example, I had to stop playing because my fingers were hurting real bad. got like a 4 hour session in but it sucks.

Sometimes when I take a 2 day break I notice when I pick up my guitar again Im way better then before. That seems to be the advice everyone is giving you on here, you should take it.
I play for 4-5 hour intervals often. I never get sore, but if I burn myself out I get sloppy and start playing like crap. At that point, i set the guitar down and go rest or watch tv. When I come back, the song I was learning seems a lot easier.
In short, hell yes.

You can injure yourself, which could

a) Slow you down
b) shorten your reach
c) stop you from ever playing again.

Be smart and stretch

edit : as always, I spelt something wrong
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.