i've got an ibanez ergodyne 5 string, and i wanna know about how much it would cost to get a pup selector put in it, and whether or not it would hurt my tone in any way other than having the effect of soloing one pup, and how much routing it would involve.
thanks in advance
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
it wouldn't cost much to do it yourself

I'm not familiar with your bass' control cavity, but it probably has enough room for a switch with no routing. Most factory instruments don't really have all the electronics crammed in, so it should just be a matter of drilling a hole where you want the switch.
It wouldn't do anything to the tone. You would need to cut out a slot in the wood between the cavity and the top if you want to use the Tele-style switch, and I'm not sure what's involved in a Gibson style switch.

However, I don't really see the point as bassists generally don't need to switch pickups in the middle of a song as a guitarist might. Maybe you do, I don't know.
i'll go in order
james:
i have no idea about the control scmematics of my bass, and thats my main problem. i could search, but i cant even find my bass in shops (physical or online) anymore. but its a possibility

arbitror:
i sometimes need to in the middle of songs for tonal differences, but its usually between songs that i do so. however, i do a lot of other stuff between songs (banter, talking to drummer/guitarist/singer, adjusting pedalboard/amp settings, tuning) that its kind of a hassle to switch the pickups the conventional way (turn one off, the other on, via volume pots)

to both:
thanks for the help
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Is that bass got an active preamp in it. If so i dont think its worth it and will be more difficult but if it isnt thats fine. I presume a 3 way switch as in, all bridge neck. All youll have to do is put it before the pots. There's probably a wiring diagram on the internet somewhere.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by kumamilesbear
i'll go in order
james:
i have no idea about the control scmematics of my bass, and thats my main problem. i could search, but i cant even find my bass in shops (physical or online) anymore. but its a possibility

to both:
thanks for the help

If you just give me a description of the controls and a gutshot of inside the cavity, I should be able to tell you what wires to attach where on the switch...
Even if it's active..
i'm pretty sure this is it. i have the 405 model, and this is for the 500 model, but it looks pretty much the same.
cant upload diagram (file too big)
just go to bass, 2004, 500
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2