Hey i would like you to recommend me a good book for a guy that doesn't know anything about building guitars like what do i need? and that stuff i want to start slowly i don't have much time now so i want to start just by reading a book maybe buying some materials (tools i think i have what i need from my dad) so can you tell me a good book to start?

Thanks in advance
^ that. book. sucked. period.

it's too vague. you can learn more reading tutorials on stewmac, projectguitar and buildyourguitar.com... that or just ask around here...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
go on stewmac.com and peruse the book section. there's few things about guitars you can't learn about from the wonderful guys at stewmac.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Ive got Melyvn Hiscocks book and Martin Oakhams book. When used both together they are excellent IMO.
Build your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock.
never read it...but heard its like the bible of guitar builders
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
i didn't learn shit from that book. I learned more from this site than the BYOEG. From the reviews I saw i thought it woulda been great and while it had some good tips, it definitely wasn't worth the money spent.

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I disagree, even if you never plan on building a guitar its an interesting read, certainly gives you an insight into how guitars work and that, and if you plan on building a guitar its even better.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i find the dan erlewine guitar player repair guide to be more informative although it won't tell you how to build one from scratch.

the tutorials on PG are awesome, though. The RG build on there with the wenge striped neck was good information...

maybe i'm just looking at it the wrong way... I like complete detail in my reading... the melvin book drops the ball in a lot of areas, though. Example - nut making. The book says to use V or small round needle files but doesn't explain the whole nut making process. There's more to it than just filing slots. There's spacing calculations, dropoff, action measurements, D and G slot tricks for 3+3 headstocks, etc that it doesn't explain. But then again the two dan erlewine articles on nut making contradict themselves sometimes as well... makes you wonder who really writes this stuff

^thats why I like having the two books. If something is missed out of one, it is in the other one.
I have both books, Melvyns and Dans Repair book

Dans is good, the main problem is it lists everything in only Imperial, which bugs me (I know hes American but seriously, get with the times!) and it all seems very biased, and sometimes comes off a little bodged (like, I dropped a guitar I was setting up and I repaired it so the customer would never know, thats not something I want to read lol)

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
yea the ormsby videos are good... but turn the volume down... he uses the same song in most of them and it gets annoying after a while.

oh, absent, coming from the US I prefer inch because it's easier to get cutting and measuring tools in inch around here... but i'm not shy about metric either... I just prefer inch.

the problem i've seen with dan's stuff (and all stewmac stuff for that matter) is that it always tries to sell you the next big tool. i emailed them about their dyes one time and the guy that wrote back tried selling me a book. im like dude... i'd just like to know what 2 colors to mix to get the color i'm looking for... I know how to paint a damn guitar.

dropping a guitar is my biggest fear... my workshop is in the basement and I keep everything upstairs so the humidity doesn't disturb the wood so I'm forever carrying guitars down stairs... it would be a mess if i slipped

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Oct 21, 2008,
Thanks for all the answers

I think i will follow some sites (like PG already went there it's pretty cool) then I think i will buy the book because i need some new reading material around my house and i think it will help i like the idea of having some guides to build guitars from scratch :P. One last question does stewmac ship to europe?
Quote by minibrowny
Build your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock.

This book told me everything I needed to know. The electronics section was especially helpful and the measuremnts and info in there was a great resource while I was designing
Stew Mac ships most places, I hope you have a lax customes man though

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
I found Martin Oakhams book sucked... hard.

Quote by Martin Oakham
Here are the tools you need

Here are 12 pictures of me building a guitar

I'm not going to tell you how to finish or wire the instrument.

**** you and thanks for $20.

I have always recommended Melvyn Hiscock's book... it seemed to be pretty helpful anyway.

It is true that you will learn more from us than you ever can from books. Just like TV teaches me more shit than school....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
we all really need to contribute to that wiki page... i can never remember the URL though LoL i think mint has it on his sig...

get martin koch's book too it's probably better if not as good as hiskocks you should get them both
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
yea the ormsby videos are good... but turn the volume down... he uses the same song in most of them and it gets annoying after a while.

oh, absent, coming from the US I prefer inch because it's easier to get cutting and measuring tools in inch around here... but i'm not shy about metric either... I just prefer inch.

the problem i've seen with dan's stuff (and all stewmac stuff for that matter) is that it always tries to sell you the next big tool. i emailed them about their dyes one time and the guy that wrote back tried selling me a book. im like dude... i'd just like to know what 2 colors to mix to get the color i'm looking for... I know how to paint a damn guitar.

dropping a guitar is my biggest fear... my workshop is in the basement and I keep everything upstairs so the humidity doesn't disturb the wood so I'm forever carrying guitars down stairs... it would be a mess if i slipped

As far as metric I would rather use it for smaller stuff and for measuring necks and bodies inches. It takes a long time to find the center of 1 11/16" vs. 42 mm.
^ true... but only if you have a metric scale to work with... I use dial calipers and do the math in my head... come to think of it i have a 150mm metric ruler i can use... the calipers do me fine though

I love metric because it is all base 10.

10 millimeters to a centimeter

100 centimeters to a meter

1000 meters to a kilometer

and there are micrometers, megameters, hectameters, you got meters coming out the wazoo. (That is where they come from actually, the wazoo.)
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
^ true... but only if you have a metric scale to work with... I use dial calipers and do the math in my head... come to think of it i have a 150mm metric ruler i can use... the calipers do me fine though

I have a couple 6 inch rulers that are in inches and millimeters. I just find it alot easier.
it's all what you're used to, i guess