Page 1 of 2
so i recently bought a Crate V33-212 combo tube amp, everything works great expect when i turn the volume up on the thing the sound gets really distorted(not the good kind) on the clean channel and the overdrive channel. This is my first tube amp so i have no ideas to what's wrong with it. Do the tubes need to be replaced or something? or is it something else?
How loud are you turning it up?

Because thats what tube amps do when you crank them.

And trust me that is the good kind
amp is at 1 and guitar volume is at around 8-10 when it starts doing it..
Quote by x6ax
so i recently bought a Crate V33-212 combo tube amp, everything works great expect when i turn the volume up on the thing the sound gets really distorted(not the good kind) on the clean channel and the overdrive channel. This is my first tube amp so i have no ideas to what's wrong with it. Do the tubes need to be replaced or something? or is it something else?

I bought the V50 a few months ago, when I turned it on (Vol 1ish) I would get this crackling sound for a bit then it would go away

what I did was let the amp warm up for about 20-30 before I even begin to jam...that helped

I find mine is picky sometimes and really takes a while to heat up but once it does, then she roars like a lion

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES

IT breaks up early
are you absolutely positive you're on the clean channel
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
ya its kind of a crackling sound, and it only really does it on the 4 5 and 6 strings
and yes im on the clean channel it does it on the overdrive channel as well..
Quote by x6ax
ya its kind of a crackling sound, and it only really does it on the 4 5 and 6 strings
and yes im on the clean channel it does it on the overdrive channel as well..

does it go away after a while?
how long do you let your amp warm up in standby?
are you running pedals?
what kind of cables?

sounds different from the issue I had...

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Not to the TS but to the other UG people:
When does an amp normally start to break up when you crank it? Meaning what volume? or does it really depend on the tubes?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
crackling....not amp distortion?
New amp?
Can you record this sound?
What amp did you have before? No problems there?
Can you plug a different guitar into it?
Can you get a different cable?

??

yes its a crackling like the amp is breaking up.
yes its a new amp
no i have no way of recording it
I had a Peice of shit crate SS, no problems with it on that
tried it on my acoustic electric, does the same thing
different cables do the same thing
Quote by x6ax
yes its a crackling like the amp is breaking up.
yes its a new amp
no i have no way of recording it
I had a Peice of shit crate SS, no problems with it on that
tried it on my acoustic electric, does the same thing
different cables do the same thing

ok you are getting the same thing as I was I think....

I find that my Crate Tube (V50) needs a while to warm up, otherwise I get that crackling sound, then as it warms up it goes away

Try letting it warm up in standby over 30 or so, then give 'er, see if that helps

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
ok you are getting the same thing as I was I think....

I find that my Crate Tube (V50) needs a while to warm up, otherwise I get that crackling sound, then as it warms up it goes away

Try letting it warm up in standby over 30 or so, then give 'er, see if that helps

30 minutes or seconds? cause i let it warm up for about 30 seconds before i turn it off standby, and it doesnt go away
Quote by x6ax
30 minutes or seconds? cause i let it warm up for about 30 seconds before i turn it off standby, and it doesnt go away

WHOA WHOA

There's your issue! Tube amps need a while to heat up - Like I mentioned before, when I first got mine I let it warm up for about 10 minutes and I ALWAYS got that crackling sound....you really need to let it sit in standby for 30 minutes (if you are ever at a show you will notice the guitar player always turns the amp to standby long before they hit the stage...this is very important!)

30 seconds to warm up....you will only damage your tubes

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
WHOA WHOA

There's your issue! Tube amps need a while to heat up - Like I mentioned before, when I first got mine I let it warm up for about 10 minutes and I ALWAYS got that crackling sound....you really need to let it sit in standby for 30 minutes (if you are ever at a show you will notice the guitar player always turns the amp to standby long before they hit the stage...this is very important!)

I didn't know that; TS ignore my post

...30 minutes is a really long time though
Quote by Tyler Durden
WHOA WHOA

alright ill let it warm up for 30 minutes and try it, the manual said to let it warm up for 30 seconds at least so....
^so Tyler how does that explain all of the amps out there that don't have a Stand-by?

I hear what you are saying tho. PS, my tubes only crackle for a minute or so AFTER playing, as they cool down.

Oh, and TS - when I said crackling I meant in a bad way - which is what I think you have. Tubes are crackling right? VS. amp distortion with is a natural clipping sound you get when tubes are pushed. Some call that 'dirty' or overdriven. The amp you have is a fairly 'dirty' amp and will overdrive quickly because it was designed that way.

i think you have a different problem though, so if it doesn't go away soon, replace it with another one.
I know 30 sounds like a long time, and each amp is different

some will say 5 minutes is good, some will say it takes up to 45 minutes for a tube amp to really warm up

play around with it, Im just telling you what worked for my Crate cuz it sounds like you have the same issue

try 20-30 to be realistic....but 30 seconds is not long enought to be slamming high voltage through cold tubes

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^so Tyler how does that explain all of the amps out there that don't have a Stand-by?

Solid State not Tube

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
WHOA WHOA

Are you sure?

I have an old Hi Fi tube amp that just has an on switch.

And there are tube amps without a standby.

And I've never had any problem letting my amp warm up for about a minute, or even 30 seconds.
Quote by imgooley
Are you sure?

I have an old Hi Fi tube amp that just has an on switch.

And there are tube amps without a standby.

And I've never had any problem letting my amp warm up for about a minute, or even 30 seconds.

Im basing my posts on my personal experience
Im sure the are old school tubes amps with no standby

This is my personal experience with my Crate Tube amp....and it sounds similar to the issue here. Like I said before, every amp is different you just need to find out the time required for your amp to heat up to a level where it doesn't do that. For mine, as soon as I get home from work I turn mine to stand by and by the time I get changed and settled (20-30) I can turn it on and its ready to go, where as in the past if I turned it to stand by for 5 minutes and went straight to jammin, Id get that crackling sound for a while before it was fully warmed up

I hope that helps x6ax

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
Solid State not Tube

That's not what I'm talking about. Some tube amps don't have Standby and nobody ever had an issue.

Here is me:
Power on (sit 30 sec)(TS - sit 5 min. if you like)
Standby on (stays on)
Play
Standby off and Power off

every amp is different tho, not sure on Crates.
warmed it up for 30 minutes, still doing the same thing.........
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That's not what I'm talking about. Some tube amps don't have Standby and nobody ever had an issue.

Here is me:
Power on (sit 30 sec)(TS - sit 5 min. if you like)
Standby on (stays on)
Play
Standby off and Power off

every amp is different tho, not sure on Crates.

got ya...buy yeah, every amp is different - Iv played a tube amp that I could go from stand by to jammin in 5 minutes, and others that take a long time to warm up - in the end, ideally you need to give your tubes time to warm up before you start pushing power through them as this will prolong the life of your tubes

also, being a new amp they can be picky at first, Im finding as time goes on mine is starting to break in nicely compared to when I first got it.

I guess thats the "price" to pay for having nice tube amp sounds vs. generic SS tones

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
do you think the tubes need to be replaced or something?
Quote by x6ax
warmed it up for 30 minutes, still doing the same thing.........

hummm, well then you might want to consider bringing it back and doing a swap for a new one

just to confirm, you get the crackling on both channels right? I found on mine at first, if I started it up on clean and it started crackling, I would switch immediately to the gain channel on low volume - play for a minute, then go back to clean and it would usually stop

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by x6ax
do you think the tubes need to be replaced or something?

shouldn't be that
did you play it at the store before you bought? If so, Im assuming it didnt do it there?

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
shouldn't be that
did you play it at the store before you bought? If so, Im assuming it didnt do it there?

no i bought it on MusiciansFriend.com.... local guitar shop didnt have any tubes amps in my price range..
Quote by x6ax
no i bought it on MusiciansFriend.com.... local guitar shop didnt have any tubes amps in my price range..

well then, you have 2 options
give it another week or so, use it every day and see if it starts to break in
or
send it back

does the crackling ever go away or is it constant?

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
I know 30 sounds like a long time, and each amp is different

some will say 5 minutes is good, some will say it takes up to 45 minutes for a tube amp to really warm up

play around with it, Im just telling you what worked for my Crate cuz it sounds like you have the same issue

try 20-30 to be realistic....but 30 seconds is not long enought to be slamming high voltage through cold tubes

If you need to warm up your amp for 30 minutes... Then you need a new amp.

I put my amp on standby for a minute or two (But the amp gets quite warm after a minute) and I've never had a problem... I play for hours with no issues. (Crate V33-212)
...Tubes shouldn't need 30 minutes to warm up, and if they do... there is something wrong.

To TS... I'd return the amp for either the same model or something different... but there's something wrong with it and you shouldn't have to be fussy with a new amplifier.
I takes me 30 seconds to warm up my V33H, and I put the clean channel on 5.

It works and sounds fine.

Sorry, but while it won't hurt anything, it's not necessary to heat it up that long.
Quote by Tyler Durden
well then, you have 2 options
give it another week or so, use it every day and see if it starts to break in
or
send it back

does the crackling ever go away or is it constant?

its constant, the louder i turn it up the more constant it becomes, if i remain at about 1 on the amp and 10 on the guitar i can hit the strings softly and it wont happen and if i hit them hard it will start to break up, also seems to not happen on the higher strings when i hit them hard tho... seems as tho the more bassy the note gets the more likley it will happen
in response to roshjosh and googly --> I realise it shouldn't, and that was the case when I first got my amp...I still give it 15 or so, but havent tried turning it on after a few mintues now....maybe Ill try today and see. For mine I think it just took a little bit to "break it in" so to speak? Its my first tube amp so Im just giving my advise based on my own experience with the similar amp....

thanks for your input too, Im gonna see what happens tonight after work with mine after a few minutes of warm up.

cheers

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by x6ax
its constant, the louder i turn it up the more constant it becomes, if i remain at about 1 on the amp and 10 on the guitar i can hit the strings softly and it wont happen and if i hit them hard it will start to break up, also seems to not happen on the higher strings when i hit them hard tho... seems as tho the more bassy the note gets the more likley it will happen

that sounds alot like tube breakup
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Tyler Durden
googly

Gooley.

Not googly.
Quote by imgooley
Gooley.

Not googly.

lol, sorry dude - Im at work so Im switching between this screen and my "work" haha

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144