ok so i spent a long time writing over the years but just recently (6 months ago) took up guitar. My biggest problem in songwriting is my lyrics tend to have a hip hop feel. Sometimes it seems like i have too much to say and almost like there's no room to fit everything into the chord progessions I'm working with. so I tried mimicking songs. playing a song thats already been sung and writing my lyrics to the beat of the original. But my words never seem to be good when i try to add patience so to speak. plus i suck at playing and singing at the same time...any tips on this would be great....also....

what does in mean in tabs when i see d/f# in chord progressions? like in more than words by extreme it goes something like g cadd9 am7 d/f# what the hell does it mean? I need answers. e'mail me at jay_sin_buk50@yahoo.com or post here. thanks
Quote by jayholes
what does in mean in tabs when i see d/f# in chord progressions? like in more than words by extreme it goes something like g cadd9 am7 d/f# what the hell does it mean? I need answers. e'mail me at jay_sin_buk50@yahoo.com or post here. thanks

The theoretical names of these chords are inverted chords.

A D/F# is just a D chord with an F# note in the bass (the lowest note, usually on the lowest string). It would be a first (?) inversion of D.

Basically, play a D chord and put your thumb on the second fret of the low E string, and mute the A string as well.

To your other query, you can go to the Songwriting and Lyrics forum, they usually have great tips on writing.

My advice: Just keep writing and improving your writing. An axiom I live by is "say as much as you can in as little as you can." So try to eliminate everything unnecessary to your song or story or feelings. Obviously, it's going to be quite hard at first to cut some things, but in time you'll be able to tell what isn't needed in a lyric. And if you have several divergent verses, you can always take one out and write a completely different song on the basis of that verse.

Hope this helped.