I've always sucked at them, and when ever I listen to guitar solo or a lead on a cd or look one up on a tab it never sounds the way it should when I play them. Is there anything i can do to help my disability with this? I've been playing almost 5 years and I can never get the hang of playing a complete guitar solo. All i can really do is improvise pentatonics. Is it better for me to just quite atempting leads/solo type stuff and just be a chord monger?
practice
practice
practice

start with easy solos like:
Livin Lovin Maid - Zeppelin
Time - Floyd
Anything Nirvana

solo's are about feel and emotion - obviously you need a certain level of skill, however it really comes down to getting the feel of the solo instead of worrying about the techincalities

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Bathory fan
All i can really do is improvise pentatonics.

Learn more scales and modes. Also, improve your right hand technique by practicing with a metronome.
Rhythm is a very important part in... anything to do with music.

If alll you were playing were 1/4 notes as a solo when they're meant to be varying time durations on each note, it's going to sound shit and robotic.
Another thing that helps me improve is recording my solos.

I can play it back and listen to what I'm doing right, and more importantly what i am doing wrong.
Quote by professorlamp
Get a guitar teacher

Yes i did take lessons before. Unfortunatly it was the "this is an A chord, this is a C, this is a G chord, now play that while i get a beer" type lessons.
a couple of things...a looper may help. You can lay down a chord progression and improvise over them also I have learned less is more. I have the same trouble as you when it comes to solo's and you don't have to cram a million notes into the first bar. Take a tip from David Gilmour of Floyd. Play a couple of bars and them rest for 1/2 and then get at it again. It will sound better.
Well, you have to learn the solo you are playing very thoroughly until you feel very confident when playing it. To the point where you can control how you play it, not just be able to play it. I'm talking about the level of control where you can experiment a little on the fly while playing it, like thinking "I'll play this bit a bit softer, or mute this a bit, or slide into this note, or just go at the whole thing with reckless abandon". So,practice, practice, and more practice.
I wont know what your doing wrong untill i hear some sound clips, but some general tips are:

Vibrato
Bending (IN TUNE)
Phrasing
Maintaning the rythm of the song
Well developed aural skills are, by far, the most essential aspect of competent soloing or improvisation. If you can't translate what you hear in your head to the instrument, you have little hope of playing anything beyond a cluttered mess. Learn the sound of different intervals, and be able to both sing and identify them. Practice listening to or humming a melody and playing it back on the guitar perfectly.

The next step is knowing what the notes in those intervals are going to sound like in different contexts. You can approach this either with experience or music theory, but the latter will give you the tools you need to approach musical situations you've never encountered before with some degree of confidence (and competence). As you're studying theory (and you should be), every time you come across a new concept you should apply it to your playing in some way, either by seeking out examples an emulating them, or using it in an original composition. Do this with every chord, every scale, every progression, and every other concept you come across. This will give you a pool of knowledge that you can draw upon whenever you want to create a certain effect during both improvisation and composition.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.