Can you monitor through a software program (such as cubase) with a firewire interface with no latency?

If so which one is a good one and good price.
best bet would be to get some form of Line6 tone port. One of the PODs...X2/XT or X3, that plugs directly into the USB on your computer. Record that into something like Audacity (free download) and your good to go.
The Line6 stuff isnt majorly expensive....range between £90-£150 ish
something like that
Yeah I have the Alesis Firewire 16 and it there is no latency whatsoever when I've used it.

How many inputs would you need ?
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
i would advise against the tone port. pods do sound good though. the m-audio black box really has caught my eye recently.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Line6 stuff does cover the cheaper range of audio interfaces but in this line of products you get what you pay for. Mackie, M-audio and Alesis cover a good range of stuff, and with the right drivers for the products latency isn't an issue (talking a few milliseconds). I'm big on supporting mboxs as well, due to getting pro tools LE with them, and as such entering into industry standard level kit.

But, supporting previous posts, how many inputs would you want? and any particular features you deem necessary?

Edit: Thank you, thomann...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=firewire_audio_interfaces&oa=pra

Scrolling down this list the first to seriously catch my eye was the m-audio one
Last edited by richwatkinson at Oct 21, 2008,
I run an Inspire 1394 firewire interface with Cubase Sx and I have no latency problems, my computer is a dinosaur but it works fine.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
I am looking for at least 2 mic inputs and a guitar input. I have been considering TC electronics Konnect 8 and Roland edirol fa-66 both are around the same price and both have good pre-amps although the edirol only has 2 simultaneous inputs instead of the 4 that the konnect has. I would like to utilize the effects that the software provides and possibly put them through a loop pedal I have. I would like to put a feedback eliminator with a powered speaker to perfect the system. Well that is my plan at the moment but I am technically challenged so any feedback on which is the best stuff to get would be highly appreciated.

besides that I am concerned with the reliability of the firewire (ecpesially if I am playing with it live) and the software program I am using........so far I have had some issues with cubase se 3 . The biggest is that it doesn't convert to any other files (mp3, wave, ect.)

Thanks for your responses.
sorry to hijack the thread...

but do any of you have recordings of you or a band with the Presonus?

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
Quote by bojangleman
sorry to hijack the thread...

but do any of you have recordings of you or a band with the Presonus?

Alex

I put up a rough cover song in my profile with no post recording effects.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
The Toneports don't sound all that great and are not the best for the price range IMO

Presonus has the Inspire 1394 which is a firewire interface. Very little latency, (not noticeable) and a great starting interface at a nice price. You can find them for $150 on sale at times but if you have Windows XP you should look into the Mackie Onyx Satellite firewire interface. It has better preamps than the PreSonus and has more connections.

Quote by Lizard83
I am looking for at least 2 mic inputs and a guitar input. I have been considering TC electronics Konnect 8 and Roland edirol fa-66 both are around the same price and both have good pre-amps although the edirol only has 2 simultaneous inputs instead of the 4 that the konnect has. I would like to utilize the effects that the software provides and possibly put them through a loop pedal I have. I would like to put a feedback eliminator with a powered speaker to perfect the system. Well that is my plan at the moment but I am technically challenged so any feedback on which is the best stuff to get would be highly appreciated.

besides that I am concerned with the reliability of the firewire (ecpesially if I am playing with it live) and the software program I am using........so far I have had some issues with cubase se 3 . The biggest is that it doesn't convert to any other files (mp3, wave, ect.)

Thanks for your responses.

Most interfaces will have two inputs for mics and two for instruments but depending on the software program you may not be able to use all of the inputs at the same time. Newer interfaces clear this point up by using TRS/XLR jacks clearly showing only one or the other can be used at once.

IMO, Firewire is more stable than USB and installs easier. The PreSonus FP10 would be great with a good computer if you wanted to record a live band. You can find them for $350 these days.

edit also be aware that the toneoprts are 1.1 USB devices so you will get some latency out of them. firewire and USB2.0 are both good when it comes down to connection speed but latency also comes from running a slow computer so be sure you have something reliable on stage...
Personally I would just go with a rack mount multi FX unit if you plan to do live gigs...
computers do tend to act up at the wrong times...

My TV teacher crashed his laptop 3 times yesterday trying to edit a video to show us in class and eventually we had to move onto one of the new desktops in the edit bay.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 22, 2008,
I have an Inspire GT, and there is no noticable latency. I had a Lexicon Omega USB back in the day and that thing was a latentcy *****. Firewire is much better.