Ok so the midterm is on Thursday afternoon and Im just looking for some of your opinions on how i should go about answering this... There are quite a few parts so please help me to the best of your ability. Thanks In Advance.

"Discuss how things like news media, elections, political parties, interest groups, and public opinion help or hinder the promise and performance of the constitution."

Now i wasn't sure whether or not to put this in the political thread so i would appreciate if we could keep the flaming to a minimum.

My Professor wants us to give an example of how each thing listed above helps or hinders the performance of the constitution which is why it is going to be quite lengthy.
Member #48 of the Weezer Fan club

Gear.
Epiphone LP Classic Quilt Top (w/ SD SH-4 in bridge)
Crate XT 120R
Line 6 PODXT Live
Squier Strat
Dean Markley Blue Steel Strings (light)
Do you have to choose a side; help or hinder, or are you supposed to provide support for both?

News Media- Controls what is reported, how much attention it will receive, and to a degree, how it will be perceived. Example: Article on MSNBC.com vs. articles on foxnews.com. MSNBC may say that Obama is flexible on a topic, while Fox would probably call him wishy washy, or undecided, because the networks lean democrat and republican respectively.

Political parties- It's important to remember their two objectives; get a member of their party elected, then pass legislation. The main difference between political parties and interests groups is that political parties actually run, while interest groups support a candidate. Political parties at first where considered a hinderance on government, but are now seen in a more positive light. They encourage straight ticket voting.

Interest Groups- Can be seen are good or bad. Good- further a specific cause. Bad- further that cause to the point that it may be bad for the general public.

Edit: I didn't see the last part of the question. All though maybe this will contain useful information. PM if you want more details.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
You could harp on the first ammendment in relation to the 'media' part of your mid-term. Essentially television, newspapers, and even billboard advertisements have help define whats right and wrong to be discussed or viewed. This steps all over the constitution. Our forefathers recognized that times would change, along with whats acceptable. That is why they did not define the parameters of what is acceptable and what is not.

Furthermore, recent anit-war protest, although peaceable, where broken up with force, even though the constitution has protected their right to peaceably assemble regardless of the message.

Political parties, such as our republican party, have affected our right to choose. The greatest example of that is our current debates and measures concerning abortion. They want to remove that right, leaving the general populus without the freddom to choose. Furthermore, Bush removed our right to investigate stemcell research. If you were to have an abortion and you made the conscious choice to donate your fetus to stemcell research, that should be your choice.

Democrats have also taken the side of special interest group to maintain the environment and banned off-shore drilling. Although a bit more noble, our political rights were affected by those special interest groups. Constitutionally your land is yours to do with what you please.

Lastly, public opinion affected our last election in 2004. After a slander campaign was launched untruthfully discounting John Kerry's military service his poll position was compremised and his campaign faltered becuase the public opinion was that he was lying about his service. I didn't like him as a candidate personally, but no man should have to drive a boat up and down vietnamese rivers being shot at to rescue his companions, only to be told he was full of shit later.

Thats a start. You could elaborate on what you agree with, you could easily milk 5 pages out of it.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Last edited by gizmodious at Oct 21, 2008,
Thanks a lot fellas... Much Appreciated... This midterm is a little different than type of exam ive ever had before, its basically just that essay and pick 7 out of 10 words to identify and define... Pretty much sounds like a piece of cake, but its going to be tough to remember a lot of the information i have gathered along with some of the info you guys have provided.
Member #48 of the Weezer Fan club

Gear.
Epiphone LP Classic Quilt Top (w/ SD SH-4 in bridge)
Crate XT 120R
Line 6 PODXT Live
Squier Strat
Dean Markley Blue Steel Strings (light)