I'm pretty new to the whole pedals side of things which is pretty shameful really, so I need some advice

I need a wah pedal... The wah i really want it the Ibanez WH-10 but they're out of production and pretty hard to come by, so I can live without it.
I was looking at the Vox 847 wah pedal. It seems pretty good and I can get it for relatively cheap, but I was just wondering if it's any good and is there anything better I can get for my money?
(I like the classic wah sound, like Hendrix and Zappa, anything like that would be cool) I'm also looking for something that won#t break the bank (ie. under £80)

I also want a distortion/overdrive pedal that will work well with the wah. I've looked on guitarampkeyboard.com and they seem to have a lot of Behringer overdrives for about £25, surely these can't be any good?

Obviously I'll check your suggsetions out before buying them. Any help is appreciated.

what kind of distortion are you looking for
the vox wah is good
also whats your current amp?
bad horsie 2 wah is switchless. i bought one because of that and it's awesome. it also has contour option. as for distortion. i like my landmine ld-1!!!! check out both of those, you can't go wrong.
Quote by Ghold125
what kind of distortion are you looking for
the vox wah is good
also whats your current amp?

I'm unsure to be honest, something that will go well with the Vox if I get it to do some Hendrix, Zappa, Frusciante sort of tones etc. I'm not gonna play huge amounts of hard rock/metal with it...

Quote by sowhat360
bad horsie 2 wah is switchless. i bought one because of that and it's awesome. it also has contour option. as for distortion. i like my landmine ld-1!!!! check out both of those, you can't go wrong.

alright cheers man I'll check it out.

Thanks to you too ^

edit: oh and a laney vc30 is my amp. however I'm using a marshall 15 for a while, whilst my amp is with my brother
ehx metal muff and you cant go wrong with dunlop wah's
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
Quote by jolleymuse
ehx metal muff and you cant go wrong with dunlop wah's

Not a fan of the Cry Baby's if I'm honest. I can play one but I just want something more. Thanks for the advice on the muff I'll have a look.

edit: I'm looking for the cheap option, really. I'll get the Vox probably, but what do you think about this for a cheap, TEMPORARY solution? http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-vd-1/68549

editedit: Actually I don't like that Too sort of Classic-rockish for what I'm looking for... any suggsetions baring that in mind?
Last edited by wiggyisgreat at Oct 21, 2008,
ProCo turbo Ratt & a dunlop wah,

The dunlop slash wah has distortion build in, but ive heard good things about Morley wahs, maybe theyre worth a look?
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Get a Vox V847 or a Dunlop Crybaby and mod it.

For Hendrix, Zappa, Frusciante and Classic Rock, you might wanna look into some sort of fuzz. My Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz does Hendrix and Zappa well, but you might wanna get a Muff.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Ohh and the behringer pedals are good for the money
Abit naff, but for £20 theyre good value if your on a really really tight budget :P
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
the V847 is awesome imo, i'd say go for it.
as distortion it rly depends on what kind of sound you want. just avoid the behringers though, they're not worth it.
if you wanna go hendrix etc. maybe try one of the blues pedals / a fuzz pedal
look at the digitech pedals on there, they're way way better and only a few quid more expensive
edit: What makes you say behringers aren't worth it? Probably a very stupid question, I know they're cheap but for the price it seems worth it to me. This video makes me quite like the sound of that pedal... not bad for £29 imo...

I think I'm pretty set on the Vox guys so thanks Although it doesn't seem to have a great range from treble to bass but I'm just nit picking.

edit: Digitech? What makes you say they're better? I believe you, though.
Quote by wiggyisgreat
edit: What makes you say behringers aren't worth it? Probably a very stupid question, I know they're cheap but for the price it seems worth it to me. This video makes me quite like the sound of that pedal... not bad for £29 imo...

I think I'm pretty set on the Vox guys so thanks Although it doesn't seem to have a great range from treble to bass but I'm just nit picking.

edit: Digitech? What makes you say they're better? I believe you, though.

i'd mod the vox wah, it'll cost you next to nothing and it'll sound like a 150-200 dollar wah, for much less.

and DON'T GE THE BEHRINGER DISTORTIONS.

thanks, and yes, i have tried them and hated them.

a digitech bad monkey will be MUCH MUCH MUCH better, for around the same price
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
they sound alot better and they're better quality, they're built like tanks lol
Quote by danyellenik
i'd mod the vox wah, it'll cost you next to nothing and it'll sound like a 150-200 dollar wah, for much less.

and DON'T GE THE BEHRINGER DISTORTIONS.

thanks, and yes, i have tried them and hated them.

a digitech bad monkey will be MUCH MUCH MUCH better, for around the same price

Mmm alright I'll try that. Do you reckon my local guitar shop would mod it for me?

Alright I'll have a look at the bad monkey. Apaprently the Behringer tube distortion works "particularly well" with tube amps. Would my temporary marshall sound like shit through it?

edit: bad monkey sounds like a much better deal
Tubes don't really make a difference in pedals as much as they do in amps. Something to do with the voltages being too low, or something.

You'll get ripped off getting someone else to mod your wah.

Bad Monkeys are your friend.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Alright thanks I reckon I'm gonna get the bad monkey, then. Seems to suit me well.

How would one mod the pedal? Don't worry if you can't be arsed, I'll just deal with it later.
How would one mod the pedal? Don't worry if you can't be arsed, I'll just deal with it later.

i'm interested too lol
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Alright thanks I reckon I'm gonna get the bad monkey, then. Seems to suit me well.

It depends on what mods you'd do to it. If you wanted to change component values to change the sound of the pedal, you'd desolder the components you wanted to change, then resolder other components in with different values.

You could also mod the inductor by desoldering it and resoldering something like a Fasel or a Whipple inductor.

You could also do a true bypass and output buffer mod to it.

I modded my Crybaby, it's win now.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
It depends on what mods you'd do to it. If you wanted to change component values to change the sound of the pedal, you'd desolder the components you wanted to change, then resolder other components in with different values.

You could also mod the inductor by desoldering it and resoldering something like a Fasel or a Whipple inductor.

You could also do a true bypass and output buffer mod to it.

I modded my Crybaby, it's win now.

That just sounds far too scary. Thanks anyway I'll look into it.

do any of you know how the Vox wah would handle a bad monkey?
do any of you know how the Vox wah would handle a bad monkey?

I've got a digitech screaming blues pedal with the vox wah and its great, the bad monkey wont be much different. Plus you usually put the wah before the distortion so its rly how the distortion handles the wah.
I'd use the Bad Monkey to boost your amp's drive channel.

And Rob_b_543, you could place the wah wherever you want. Hendrix has his wah before, and I think Zappa and Frusciante have them after.

You'd probably need to do an output buffer mod to the Vox, it's not good with gain.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
I'd use the Bad Monkey to boost your amp's drive channel.

And Rob_b_543, you could place the wah wherever you want. Hendrix has his wah before, and I think Zappa and Frusciante have them after.

You'd probably need to do an output buffer mod to the Vox, it's not good with gain.

Mmm that's what I thought... it won't sound terrible though, will it? I'll look into modding.
Quote by rhcp_freak

okay yeh you're right, im just over-generalising lol . but IMO the V847 sounds rly bad if its not at the start of the line up, dont know if thats true of other wah's.

whats that mod cause i have noticed that the vox can sort of get lost at high gain, and i want to do something about it.
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Mmm that's what I thought... it won't sound terrible though, will it? I'll look into modding.

its alright but its not as defined as when its clean / low gain, it can get sort of muddy.
i would like to mod mine though if there's dsomething tht can make it better....
Quote by Rob_b_543
okay yeh you're right, im just over-generalising lol . but IMO the V847 sounds rly bad if its not at the start of the line up, dont know if thats true of other wah's.

whats that mod cause i have noticed that the vox can sort of get lost at high gain, and i want to do something about it.

I suppose. My modded 'baby sounds alright after distortion.

I'm not actually so sure about what the actual output buffer mod is. I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in the wah modding thread.

Quote by wiggyisgreat

Well, I doubt it'd sound very good.

Get it, then decide whether you wanna mod it or not depending on what it sounds like.

So yeah, use the Monkey to boost your Drive channel, it's what it's best used for. If you wanna standalone distortion, I'd get a fuzz.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Oct 21, 2008,