I need to play acoustic and electric guitar in a band, but I spent all my money on bass equipment for another band, and want to minimize my equipment. I have a Line 6 pod x3 live that has amp/cab modeling, so I don't even need a real electric amp. Thought about using my GK 1001RB bass head then going into my own single PA speaker, like a 1x12 with a horn for stage noise, just as a monitor... any problem in doing that?
Quote by Knurlheim
Combo Amp or Cab?

I have the GK 1001RB head. I want to make the frequency response as flat as possible, then feed my Line 6 pod x3 it into it, powering something like a single Peavey PV115 and play both acoustic guitar and electric guitar through it. Basically I want to use it as a power amp.
Ok so your just using the GK head as a wattage type thing? keep in mind bass amps are (Wonder why) bassier and you may have to turn the treble up and low down.
Sorry i dont really understand. You have a 1001 head and you dont want to run it through cab. Also were will you run your actual sound. Will the moniter be able to handle the wattage. Cant you just plug an acoustic into your amp. I really dont get why you cant just run your amp as an amp. And imo opinion those amp immitators never sound half as good as the real thing.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Sorry i dont really understand. You have a 1001 head and you dont want to run it through cab. Also were will you run your actual sound. Will the moniter be able to handle the wattage. Cant you just plug an acoustic into your amp. I really dont get why you cant just run your amp as an amp. And imo opinion those amp immitators never sound half as good as the real thing.

Sure, I do want to run my amp as an amp. I figured that running normal acoustic and electric 6-string through my bass cab wouldn't sound good though, plus it's a monster. I have no idea what normal electric guitar amp and effects I would want, the line 6 sounds fine to me. I don't want to buy any more stuff than I have to. I have yet to find a single electric amp that doesn't do modeling that I just love the sound of other than an Epiphone Valve Junior, and it's pretty small, only 5 watts. Most others just sound dry and harsh and obnoxious to me.

Anyway, right now I am running everything through my Crate 125 watt acoustic amp with two 8's. It sounds ok but it's not quite loud or low enough when the whole band fires up. I want more power and bigger speakers. They don't make acoustic amps any bigger though, I'd have to use a power amp and PA speaker to get a similar setup with bigger balls.

So, that's why I'm asking... I already have this big-ass bass amp that has all kinds of clean power, so why should I buy another amp? If I run it into 8 ohms, it's 480 watts rms. The PA speaker I mentioned takes 400 watts rms and has a 15" woofer and big horn, should be plenty for stage sound, plus I can run both my electric and acoustic through it. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a specific reason why this is a dumb idea other than it's not a typical setup.
Last edited by corndogggy at Oct 21, 2008,
Ok that starts to make sense. Bass cabs will just make a guitar bassier i.e. blues. The cab will be fine. Personnally i think it is a stupid idea i would just you amp. And just use it.ehhhh im sort of confused with the whole thing. I ll leave it to you and others. Hope it all goes well.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
What bass cab do you currently have with your head? Sure a 15inch might be too boomy and farty for good guitar tone, but you can probably do alright if you already have a 2*10 or 4*10.

Whatever you already have, give it a try with some equing and see if you can get a good sound out of it. I play guitar through my bass rig pretty often (my amp sounds a lot like a bassman) and even with a 15 and 2*10 it sounds pretty good.

If you don't want to use your existing cabs at all and just want a monitor, I'd be super careful about the wattage being used. Make sure the monitor can handle the output your amp is cranking out and everything should be fine.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by fatgoogle
Personnally i think it is a stupid idea i would just you amp.

Use my amp? Which one? Are you saying use my bass cab? The only amps I own is my 125 watt acoustic combo amp, and my GK 1001RB head, which goes to a custom 4x12 cab. I'm trying to use my GK amp. I just think it's probably dumb to play acoustic guitar through my monster bass cab, but I'll sure try it tonight. I kind of need to downsize though, that thing is huge, and I only have a little car now.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
What bass cab do you currently have with your head?

A custom built neo 4x12 nearly identical to Gallien Krueger's.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
If you don't want to use your existing cabs at all and just want a monitor, I'd be super careful about the wattage being used. Make sure the monitor can handle the output your amp is cranking out and everything should be fine.

That's basically all I'm needing... a big-ass monitor for stage noise. Our current PA doesn't have any more power though so I'd have to buy an amp, I'm just seeing if I can reuse some equipment. I'll definitely have to try it with my bass cab though, that will be interesting.
Quote by corndogggy
A custom built neo 4x12 nearly identical to Gallien Krueger's.

The clarity and range you'll get out of those, actually would probably work well for exactly what you're talking about. It might look ridiculous to play the acoustic through that, but at least give it a try and see how it sounds.
i dont know about others, but i generally run my acoustics onstage into my trace elliot 500-7 head, and from there into my trace elliot 2x10 cab (has a horn)
i just take out some of the lows, add a touch of highs, and turn the horn level up.
for electric, i just use the thing at the same settings i use for my bass. gives my tone serious balls, even with the treble turned up all the way on my od pedal (although that thing might be broken, so that might have something to do with it)

and please, for the love of god, dont double post. takes up space and, i'm pretty sure, bandwidth. pretty annoying, too. instead of 1 post with a huge block of text, some people i've seen on here actually break it up into like, 4 posts.
i've doubled only once, i think. i've had many temptations since, but have resisted
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Last edited by kumamilesbear at Oct 21, 2008,
I just realized that I have a smaller Ampeg HE-410 with a horn over at a friend's house that I haven't played in a couple months. It sounds more realistic and bright, and it's nowhere near as big of a pain in the ass to move as my custom 4x12, plus it's 8 ohms which will calm down the output of my head. Good chance that it will work out great since you guys have played through bass cabs with 10's with not-so-bad results.
sounds good to me. just remember, its still gonna have balls to the sound, and for acoustic, you're gonna want to eq it a bit.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Without readin the OP, Im going to say that yes, bass amps can be used as PA. Just make sure the wattages are matching up. But I would recommend agaisnt it cause itll sound like shit!
Quote by kumamilesbear
just remember, its still gonna have balls to the sound

I'm kind of wanting more balls though. We play stuff like "sweet sacrifice" where its drop tuned and these two 8's just won't move the kind of air I want to move.
In case anybody was wondering, I got it sounding good, sounds significantly better than my acoustic amp. Had to turn the bass and low midrange only about 1/4 of the way up, high mids in the middle, treble maybe at 1 o'clock. Presence and contour is about 1/3 of the way up each. I've got the amp going into my Ampeg 4x10. The sound is fuller and much less directional. When I strum next to it, it blends in with my acoustic sound, I can't really tell the difference.