This is prob a stupid Q but i noticed that all Gibsons have bent headstocks.Why is this?Does it make it easier to hold down a chord?Or is it just a feature of Gibsons?
All guitars tend to have it but some guitars have a sharper degree(angle) than others. It's to provide adequate tension so as not to allow the neck to warp.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
^^ Helps add some sustain as well.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
Not only gibsons have a back angle of the headstock. Steelstring acoustics, classical guitars also have it. In some way all guitars have the strings angeld back behind the nut. The idea is to get enough string tension on the nut. If the angle is very shallow the strings will ratle in the nut. Even Fender type guitars have the strings angled back behind the nut. The headstock behind the nut is much lower then the fingerboard. They use those small string retainers to keep the strings down.
It is to get the required angle of the strings over the nut to get a firm contact. Some firms put an angle on the headstock. Some use string trees, like fender.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gerardk
This is prob a stupid Q but i noticed that all Gibsons have bent headstocks.Why is this?Does it make it easier to hold down a chord?Or is it just a feature of Gibsons?

The main reason is for better sustain, as far as I'm concerned.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
The main reason is for better sustain, as far as I'm concerned.

See my earlier answer. It is just a suprisingly cheap way to get the strings over the nut at the correct angle.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1