ok so im in a band we got some chord sequences, and we would like to play a harmonized solo bit over the top

the little sequence is as follows, its is a moderlatey slow pace

e---------------------------------------- ( DROP D )
b--------------------------------- ---
g- 7777---------3333--5555---
d- 7777- 3333-3333- 5555--------- and so on
a- 5555- 3333-1111--3333-------
d----------3333-------------------

what i would like to know is how i work out what key this is in

then once i know the key i need a scale. once i have the scale i can harmonize perfectly fine

and if its major or minor will help i know a few scales but i need a help finding key and a okay scale

Cheers guys
Looks like F and it's ambiguous, meaning you could go either major or minor. I'm no expert, though, so let's see what others have to say.
It's in D minor the way you have it written out (assuming it just repeats that progression after that).

D E F G A Bb C
1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

D5 F5 Bb5 C5
I5 III5 VI5 VII5
*Washed up response from many other threads*

Look at the music and see what notes are sharp/flat.

Assign the song a major or minor key by using your understanding of the Circle of Fifths. (For example: If you have F# and C# in the piece instead of F natural and C natural, looking at the circle of fifths you can tell that that is either the key of D major or B minor)

Then you have to find the tonal center. (In my example of D major or B minor: You would see if the music wants to resolve on a D major chord or a B minor chord. You know it sounds resolved when it sounds complete or finished.)

Whatever note it wants to go to either X major or Y minor is the key. [In my example: If it wants to end on a D major chord, it's in D major (that's taking into account the sharp notes, NOT just the fact it wants to end on D major.)]

If you don't have an understanding of the Circle of Fifths, read this thread in which Casualty01 (Chris aka Cas) has an amazing post: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14696&highlight=circle+of+fifths
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥