So... I'm wanting to put a Killswitch on my guitar. But, I would rather not drill on my guitar right now, and my budget is kinda small. So any requests on an easy, cheap killswitch?

Anything helps, thanks.
what guitar do you have ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Just get an SPST momentary switch, they cost a dollar at the most. Then just take out the tone pot (Its hardly used), and attach the wires that way using a soldering wire. Its pretty cheap.
Quote by Baby Joel
Just get an SPST momentary switch, they cost a dollar at the most. Then just take out the tone pot (Its hardly used), and attach the wires that way using a soldering wire. Its pretty cheap.

Yeah they're real cheap. They sell the ones Buckethead uses on ebay for like 15 when the same exact ones are like 2 from Radioshack. Just solder wires from the switch to the input jack and put in where a tone knob should go.
Quote by Seef
Yeah they're real cheap. They sell the ones Buckethead uses on ebay for like 15 when the same exact ones are like 2 from Radioshack. Just solder wires from the switch to the input jack and put in where a tone knob should go.

It's not that easy. I tried that before, horrible hum and it didn't really do the job well. Usually you can only find the push to close switches. When you have a killswitch you have to push to close the circuit to the input jack ground wire.

You ground the signal, not break it. However you can still use the tone pot.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's not that easy. I tried that before, horrible hum and it didn't really do the job well. Usually you can only find the push to close switches. When you have a killswitch you have to push to close the circuit to the input jack ground wire.

You ground the signal, not break it. However you can still use the tone pot.

This, I just drilled a hole in my guitar and added one. one spoke from the switch to the hot end of your volume knob and one spoke to the ground on your volume know. The signal will follow the path of least resistance, so when you push the switch in, it will close to that ground and go there instead of to the amp. 4 Solders and you're done. Should definitely be able to replace the tone knob (assuming you don't use it). I do use mine, so I drilled.
I removed the tone knob, just connected those wires and removed the cap. I added the killswitch to the hole that was left there.

The guitar will work fine without a tone knob, quite a few aren't even built with them.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I removed the tone knob, just connected those wires and removed the cap. I added the killswitch to the hole that was left there.

The guitar will work fine without a tone knob, quite a few aren't even built with them.

sorry to jack this thread for a sec but would taking out a tone knob allow more treble through or the same amount as when the knob is on 10 ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
sorry to jack this thread for a sec but would taking out a tone knob allow more treble through or the same amount as when the knob is on 10 ?

It would actually be more like cutting the treble up to like 11 or 12.

The tone knob adjusts how much signal goes through the capacitor, no matter what you can't turn a knob down so much to the point where nothing passes through, unless it physically breaks the circuit. A tone knob on 10 is letting about 80-95% signal to the output without passing through while the other 5-20% runs through the cap.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by MESAexplorer

Thanks bro, I'm doing this tonight, I was gonna do it last night, but i got the wrong switch.. I got the opposite, push the button and the sound turns on.. it sucked.