Okay ... a little background story; I have been playing guitar for about 3 years and if I say so myself I'm pretty kick ass (don't mock my big ego, I like it big!) but now that I've got interested in starting bands (I wanna be in a funk/grunge/punk kinda band) I've noticed we only have one bassist in my school (who is a complete emo who listens to music that he thinks is alternative rock (Muse? Red hot chili peppers?) is emo stuff lie Bring Me The Horizon). So, I listened to him playing his bass in my GCSE class on Monday and noticed he will only play root notes, I asked why he doesnt make his bass lines more interesting and he simpley replied "because i don't want to and don't ever plan to learn or write anything like that!"... which I thought was fain enough... So, I since Sunday I have been borrowing my friends unused £50 ($80) Precision copy which fuzzes and causes feedback all of the time to learn on, and I got to say, I thoroughly enjoy it! ...

So, to the main bit; I have about £300 ($550-$600) to buy a decent bass and a nice bass amp to play it on... preferably loud enough to hear my bass enough over drums, guitars and vocals aswell as being able to play small gigs in my school hall and at the local bars and stuff ... so suggestions UGers!

By the way, influences; The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, Ramones, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Sex Pistols, Pearl Jam and stuff like that ... funk, grunge and punk basically...

Thanks
Look into FenderJazz basses, they're great for funky stuff, but can go low enough for a dirty sound.

edit: might be a slight bit expensive for your range though, actually.
Last edited by King Baby Duck at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by King Baby Duck
Look into FenderJazz basses, they're great for funky stuff, but can go low enough for a dirty sound.

edit: might be a slight bit expensive for your range though, actually.

i was thinking of jazz, like a squier, but i seriously cant stand the look of jazz basses.
I say get a good Ibanez, like the SR300(189 GBP) and a Laney RB-3 amp(138 GBP). Both together are a little over 300 GBP, but itll be worth it IMO. And as long as you have a PA, 65w should be loud enough for rehersals and such.
I think the best thing to do is go to some music stores, pawn shops, whatever, play different basses and amps, see what feels and sounds right to you. Once you round it down to a couple, do some research on features, reviews, etc, and talk to some other bass players.

That being said, there are a few good brands you should definitely keep an eye out for: Ibanez, Fender, and Schecter make good basses, look for Acoustic, Ampeg, or Crate for amps. Still consider things outside those brands, though.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Basses: I would look at some Squier's,especially the vintage modifieds.

Amps: I would look Ashdown or Acoustic.
go to your guitar store, talk to a sales rep, and have him recommend some good starter models, don't default to fender (nothing against fender). Whichever one feels good in your arms, get it. That's how I got my first bass, and it is great.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk