I'm looking for a new bass amp, but I'm quite inexperienced with them so I was wondering if the members of UG could help with guidance on which brand and models. My budget will be around $1000 CAN.

I play with an Fender American Precission bass. My main musical influences include punk/hardcore bands such as Minor Threat, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Fugazi but they also branch off into other styles ranging from Megadeth to The Cure to The Weakerthans.

I'm looking for an amp that can be quite versatile but overall with a rich and agressive tone. Like I said I'm new with bass amps so any corrections, advice and reccomendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
mesa, trace elliot
there's a sticky somewhere....
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by Nashrakh
Ashdown ABM.

Either the old EVO II series or the new EVO III series , which is about $300 CAN over your budget range...

but then he'll need another ~$500-700 for a cab to handle it.... just to keep in mind.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
I'm not sure if you are looking strictly for a head and cabinet deal or combo or are just open to either. For some really good combos check these two out.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/rsseries/rs212.aspx

http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/rsseries/rs410.aspx

The 2x12 will give you a more punchier tone due to the 12 inch speakers. I can vouche(sp?) for the 2x12 nemesis as I own it aswell. It's a solid combo, 320 watts and very versitile. It also has an extension combo input if you decided later to add another cabinet to it. The site there says $1200 but it will be definetly be cheaper in stores. I found mine for $800.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Alright, I know a fair bit about hardcore bassists so here's what I have to say.

Klaus Flouride of the Dead Kennedys (if you don't listen to them, you should. Great stuff musically and bass-wise) I read somewhere uses Gallien-Krueger amps nowadays. The dude from Fugazi used a GK RB-800, so GK should be on your list of amps to try out. I'll also put in a good word for Carvin as mine has a really versatile sound and you can get a hardcore sound out of it, if you raise the drive control and EQ right. Plus, if you go Carvin, you can get almost a whole stack for your budget. You should also try out a Peavey VB-2. Its a tube bass head, its probably a little more expensive than you would like to spend ($800) but the sound is ****ing amazing and would work really well for hardcore. For cabinets, 10s are what most bassists use, sometimes on top of a 15 for more bottom end. But I think 12s might work well for the genre. Take a look at them.

Oh, if you want to get an SVT, go for it, but I have never really enjoyed one I've played. But the bass player from my big local hardcore band uses one, and his sound is really nice. But then again, he IS using a 70s SVT.
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
but then he'll need another ~$500-700 for a cab to handle it.... just to keep in mind.

Hmm

Every time I read "bass amp", I think of the head alone... Sorry.