Last year I was looking for a job for like 10 months. I must have filled out upwards of 50 applications, no exaggeration. I FINALLY got one, but it was from a friend getting me in where he works so it kind of fell into my lap. It was good for the first few months but my hours dwindled and now I literally have no hours and I'm making nothing.

So now I'm back in the same exact position as before. I'm filling out applications everywhere, and as small as my town is, I'm just about out of places to apply. I don't get it. I dress well and shave and all that, I have some college under my belt, my availability is wide open, good references. So what do I do? I've all but given up on filling out applications.

tl;dr - I looked for a job for a freakin' year, finally got one, it tanked, and now I'm back where I started and it seems like I'm wasting my time with applications.
We're only strays.

EDIT: Just try and get some experience. Take a food handler's course or something of the like. Restaurants dig that shit.
Last edited by ShaunDiel at Oct 21, 2008,
this may be a good time to say "what do I WANT to do" instead of "what is available"

maybe? lol
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
its because they see your poppa johns avatar and cringe
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
Get some actual qualifications. Most employers aren't impressed by having 'some college under your belt'.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
*Insert joke about prostitution or rape here.*

Good luck finding another one.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
i know the feeling when your desperate for a job to come in, worst when the moneys running out and your desperately trying to find something. Ive got it easy living under my parents but it'll be shitty when im out in full time work making bugger all

Quote by Ichimaru
Get some actual qualifications. Most employers aren't impressed by having 'some college under your belt'.

this is a well debated topic, im at college right now and i hear lots from tutors and outside sources that in the area of work i want to go into a degree or higher is a necessity to make it a serious chance.
Last edited by richwatkinson at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by Ichimaru

Keep in mind I'm applying ANYWHERE. You're saying that every minimum wage and below worker in my town has a college degree?

And I know what I want to do, music. That's going pretty alright because I have a recording almost finished of a killer song. But I owe my friend for recording me now.
We're only strays.
Quote by richwatkinson
i know the feeling when your desperate for a job to come in, worst when the moneys running out and your desperately trying to find something. Ive got it easy living under my parents but it'll be shitty when im out in full time work making bugger all

I'm still with my parents as well but I do have payments. I'd almost prefer to not be with them though because it just makes me feel like a waste of space. I spend a lot of time doing nothing because around here I don't know what the hell I CAN do. When I have my song mastered and finished I'm going to be promoting that a lot, though.
We're only strays.
My brother is in pretty much the same position. Just keep trying, something WILL turn up.
Busk for small change. Spend small change. Repeat.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Same deal in Canada man, not sure where you're from, but the whole planet's economy is in the toilet, so good luck finding a job.

Finding a job anyway is like finding a needle in a haystack, now you have to find a silver pin in a pile of white pins.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” -Winston Churchill
you can't just fill out applications and expect them to call you. call the places you apply to and ask if theyve seen your application and just basically make it seem like you really want the job.
Quote by Old Vendetta\m/
you can't just fill out applications and expect them to call you. call the places you apply to and ask if theyve seen your application and just basically make it seem like you really want the job.

I do that, but I've done it less lately. All I've ever gotten is annoyed voices that tell me they're going through the apps, and that's it.

I know that the solution here is to find a job but after looking for one for a year, having a crappy one for a few months, and then being back to looking again DURING an economic recession, it seems pretty useless to try.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I do that, but I've done it less lately. All I've ever gotten is annoyed voices that tell me they're going through the apps, and that's it.

damn, that sucks dude. maybe go back in and ask in person? and also if you call around their busy hours they are most likely to be annoyed and put you off. good luck
I've been out since November. I worked for three days in January because nobody told me I was only temporary. I've been turned down for jobs that I have experience doing, I've been turned down for jobs I had previously been OFFERED. So, yeah, I think a lot of us can relate, but none of us have any idea what to do.
You're*
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Keep in mind I'm applying ANYWHERE. You're saying that every minimum wage and below worker in my town has a college degree?

I'm not saying that, but without it, you're just any other minimum wage worker. Anyone with even remotely better qualifications than you is going to get a job over you, so if you get some qualifications then employers will take more notice and choose you over them.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I've been in the same situation the last 5 months. Got me a trialday tomorrow that hopefully will give me a job. But I know your pain. Just keep looking. Or find yourself something to study to. To get a job now under this crisis can be quite hard.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Maybe I'll just go back to school. When I was going with a grant, I got money back so that would pay off my the rest of my car. It's just that I have no intention at all of getting a degree for anything because music is ALL I want to do.

That's another thing that adds so much frustration. For years all I've wanted to friggin do is record my music, but I've always been sidetracked. If I went to school again it'd just be the same thing. If I could get on at effing McDonald's my life would be great.

I guess this is more of a thread for me to vent. It is comforting to know others are in my position.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Maybe I'll just go back to school. When I was going with a grant, I got money back so that would pay off my the rest of my car. It's just that I have no intention at all of getting a degree for anything because music is ALL I want to do.

That's another thing that adds so much frustration. For years all I've wanted to friggin do is record my music, but I've always been sidetracked. If I went to school again it'd just be the same thing. If I could get on at effing McDonald's my life would be great.

I guess this is more of a thread for me to vent. It is comforting to know others are in my position.

So...what's stopping you from getting a degree in music? Or learn to produce.
You're*
Quote by Survivalism
So...what's stopping you from getting a degree in music? Or learn to produce.

Dude I'd probably already have a degree if there were anything like that around here. There is Community College and that's it. The closest school to learn anything that would be coherent with my real goals is an hour or more away.

And besides I have everything I need to record the songs, except money. My friend is charging $200 a song, which would be easy for me if I just had SOME sort of job. It's a good deal in general because he's using a very nice studio. It belongs to John Leavell, I dunno if anyone would recognize that name (probably not) but he played guitar for Uriah Heap.
We're only strays.
I'd say you're rather stupid to not educate yourself at all. Sure we all wanna ignore it and live off of music. But it's not viable and you can't really trust that to support you for the rest of your life.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Maybe you should start a guitar class. That will get you money and you can actually practice a bit for your aspiration of becoming a musician

Good Luck
Quote by Mutant Corn
Arellano's got a point.
Martyr's Prayer, I suggest you stop applying for jobs, sit back, and blame the economy for you being lazy.

It has worked for me.
You're doing something wrong. Do you always get interviews? If not, something is wrong with your application. If so you are doing something wrong in the interviews. Start figuring it out from there, have some buddies who like you enough to give mean criticism give you some mock interviews/applications--or just hand them copies of the ones you're filling out--and tell you what you're doing wrong.
don't worry something will turn up if you look hard enough.

i got fired 3 weeks ago and now i pawned my guitar, amp, digicam just to make rent.
i applied for a couple of jobs yesterday but nothing yet. just try to stay optimistic.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Busk for small change. Spend small change. Repeat.

This. Lmfao.
YUW YUW YUW!

So? Your xbox got ****ed? I have wet dreams about my dog. The world is in perfect balance.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Arellano's got a point.

My life is complete now.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Arellano's got a point.