Page 1 of 2
So I went into guitar center after work today, and found a beautiful used fender standard strat for $400. It played absolutely great, looked good, etc, but the pickguard was scratched to hell, the pickups showed obvious signs of wear, etc. Like I said, it was listed at 400 with a gig bag. So I showed the salesman the scratches and dings and what not, and asked him if he could come down any on the price, and that i didn't want the gig bag either. He came back and offered me $30 less, which i guess was reasonable, but when I said I'd give him $350 for it, he absolutely wouldn't budge. He also claimed that it was a new guitar, and worth every penny, when it obviously wasn't. Is it normal for gc to stick to prices like that? Everyone I know can talk a salesman down, I couldn't even get it for $20 less than he asked. Was he just taking advantage of me, or what?
Depends on what price they bought the guitar for. They must make a profit on the sale.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
There's some new zero-tolerance policy they have where they absolutely will not budge on pricing... apparently they were losing too much money off of it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
There's some new zero-tolerance policy they have where they absolutely will not budge on pricing... apparently they were losing too much money off of it.

Yeah, it was just weird that he wouldn't give me any leeway. I didn't buy it, because I had to stick to a $350 budget, which sucks. It was a great guitar, just not worth the price he was asking.
might not have been used, they get beat to hell at GC when 12 year olds play them and aren't careful
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
might not have been used, they get beat to hell at GC when 12 year olds play them and aren't careful

True. But that doesn't change the condition the guitar was in. And, I picked it off the used section, which was weird.
You should've asked if you could've gotten it sans gig bag.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
I think the price he gave you was pretty decent, especially for a scratched pickguard and some slightly worn pickups...30 bucks off is still 30 bucks.
Quote by Jango22
You should've asked if you could've gotten it sans gig bag.

I did. That was the thirty bucks he knocked off.

^Also, I completely agree, but the money he knocked off was for the gig bag, he wouldn't take any off for the wear on the guitar
Oh. Taken it to a diff salesman?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
Oh. Taken it to a diff salesman?

I wonder if that would've worked, if they really have a zero tolerance policy now
About finding it in the used section, I'm sure some kid picked it up, played it, and set it down on the closest stand, which was probably in the used section.

And while I do agree with you, it probably WAS new - The Gibson wall at my local GC is beat to shit, all of them are worn and disgusting and It's sad how people treat them. Obviously the more expensive ones aren't so bad, but it's still extremely noticable.
Quote by Slash42x
About finding it in the used section, I'm sure some kid picked it up, played it, and set it down on the closest stand, which was probably in the used section.

And while I do agree with you, it probably WAS new - The Gibson wall at my local GC is beat to shit, all of them are worn and disgusting and It's sad how people treat them. Obviously the more expensive ones aren't so bad, but it's still extremely noticable.

Yeah, I'm definitely not arguing that it was new, but condition wise, it was on par with the others that were used. And yeah, it is pretty sad how kids treat those guitars, they have no idea what they're doing to them.
Honestly, if they're not willing to help you out don't help them out. Buy from a different store.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Your Best Buy sells guitars? Jealous...
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I'd take $350 in cash in there and show it to him and say its all you have, and see what he'll do.
Got my mojo workin' but it just don't work on you.
I wouldn't buy anything from there. Sounds like they let their guitars get trashed instore and expect you to pay standard prices as though they had never been unboxed, stuff that.
Quote by mugrila
I'd take $350 in cash in there and show it to him and say its all you have, and see what he'll do.

Good advice, but i pretty much did that. Told him all I could spend was $350, and he said, well, sorry. I just wonder if he was taking advantage of me for looking kinda young. I don't know why I defend GC so much anymore, when I asked them for help buying my first guitar (I wanted an LP-100), the salesman sold me one full of defects, it had the wrong pots, dinged hardware, etc, for full price. /rant
well considering you could buy the exact pickguard for around $20, i'd have to say its fair
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
well considering you could buy the exact pickguard for around $20, i'd have to say its fair

Since he was trying to sell me the guitar for full price at $370 (400 included the bag), then yeah, I think my offer was pretty reasonable
Quote by irishstang_87
Good advice, but i pretty much did that. Told him all I could spend was $350, and he said, well, sorry. I just wonder if he was taking advantage of me for looking kinda young. I don't know why I defend GC so much anymore, when I asked them for help buying my first guitar (I wanted an LP-100), the salesman sold me one full of defects, it had the wrong pots, dinged hardware, etc, for full price. /rant

Ahh, too bad. There will always be a better deal out there though. Don't worry.
Got my mojo workin' but it just don't work on you.
if i'm not mistaken isn't 400 the standard price for a NEW standard fender strat?. btw you can score a standard strat for alot less on craigslist and ebay
look around im assuming it was a mim strat so you could easily find one for 320 new at a smaller store and get them to throw in a free setup
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
look around im assuming it was a mim strat so you could easily find one for 320 new at a smaller store and get them to throw in a free setup

I'm definitely gonna try. Honestly, it played much better than an LP Standard that I played that was going for a hundred more. Are MIM's pretty good for the money?

^What's the difference between the MIJ and the MIM?
Quote by irishstang_87
^What's the difference between the MIJ and the MIM?

better quality building and slight part upgrades
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by irishstang_87
So I went into guitar center after work today, and found a beautiful used fender standard strat for $400. It played absolutely great, looked good, etc, but the pickguard was scratched to hell, the pickups showed obvious signs of wear, etc. Like I said, it was listed at 400 with a gig bag. So I showed the salesman the scratches and dings and what not, and asked him if he could come down any on the price, and that i didn't want the gig bag either. He came back and offered me $30 less, which i guess was reasonable, but when I said I'd give him $350 for it, he absolutely wouldn't budge. He also claimed that it was a new guitar, and worth every penny, when it obviously wasn't. Is it normal for gc to stick to prices like that? Everyone I know can talk a salesman down, I couldn't even get it for $20 less than he asked. Was he just taking advantage of me, or what?

then he would be taking off $50.

If I was him I wouldn't do it too.
Quote by Graveworm
then he would be taking off $50.

If I was him I wouldn't do it too.

The $30 he took off was for the gig bag i didn't want included
One was made in Japan by Japanese people one was made in Mexico by Mexicans.

Japan are well-known for the high-quality guitar production. In fact as the story goes,

"After a trial period, the USA team decided to pay the Japanese team a visit and see how things were going. Upon completion of their trip, Dan lamented: “Everybody came up to inspect them and the guys almost cried, because the Japanese product was so good - it was what we had been having a hell of a time trying to do.""
Quote by alternitivebass
better quality building and slight part upgrades

the japanese strats are on bar with the americans. my 1985 57 reissued japanese strat is the best strat i ever lay my hands on. in fact i cannot tell the difference between her and the american 57 vos
And I have a 1994 MIJ 57 re-issue! Totally agree, shes a beautiful guitar.
Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna check a few shops around here, but I'll prob end up getting one off ebay
Quote by irishstang_87
Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna check a few shops around here, but I'll prob end up getting one off ebay

Which will mean dropping several hundred dollars/pounds/rubees/goats on a guitar you've never even had in your hands let alone played.

Rather you than me.
I assumed that the Strat I bought on ebay would play and sound like a Strat, and it did.
that's retarded if he said it was new and it was as you said it was. i wouldn't buy it just for that reason. haha.
Quote by Free
Which will mean dropping several hundred dollars/pounds/rubees/goats on a guitar you've never even had in your hands let alone played.

Rather you than me.

How do i transfer goats to my paypal account?
Quote by Free

Rather you than me.

i went blind buy with all my stuff so far. and i'm quite happy that i saved hundreds if not thousands of dollar in doing so. and your right. in the end of the day it will be him having a good guitar for an awesome price rather than you.
Page 1 of 2