2 8%
ProCo Rat 2
4 16%
Ibanez TubeScreamer
14 56%
Others
5 20%
Voters: 25.
So I'm in the market for a distortion pedal. I mostly play blues and classic rock, but sometimes I like to mess around with some hard rock, and possibly more metal in the future. But I dont really need something for a lot of metal, so just a good quality pedal would be nice.

So recommend me some.

I was thinking about Boss DS-2 but I've heard I should stay away from that.
So ProCo Rat 2, or Turbo Rat, but whats the difference?
Ibanez TubeScreamer?

or others?

thanks
well the BD-2 and the tubescreamer are both OD pedals and the Rat is a distortion. What amp do you have?
I suggest a new amp, but im sure you dont have the cash for that right now. So for a pedal, try a DOD 250 maybe or a ProCo Rat, altho idk if you can get a good blues tone out of that.
My teacher told me that Danelectro pedals are as good as boss and they have a very much affordable price...
^ depends on what danelectro series, the fabs are shit, above that it might get better
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Well you know what I mean, OD, distortion, those are just the ones I've come down to. Unless I'm missing something.

Anymore?
Everytime I try to use the byoc website, it doesnt work... but thats an idea for something fun to try.
So it looks to me like the tubescreamer is winning out.

But which one, I know theres like three different ones, all costing more. Obviously the best one costing the most. So is the TS9 a good one?
I started out back in 1979 with a Big Muff, a year latter traded it in on a Boss Distortion and then a few years latter (1983) got a Boss Heavy Metal pedal which I still use to today

1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
if you dont mind spending 200 get a tmiranda there f'in bomb.
its an actual preamp pedal with two 12xa7.
I've owned all of those, so here's my take.

I absolutely HATED my Rat 2. I thought it had awful tone and i played with my setting ( both amp and pedal ) I hear the original proco rats are awesome tho. o.O

The TS9 is a great OD pedal. I had fun with it. Ended up trading it in with a big muff and a reverb pedal to get my Stachurator, (I recommend this pedal to everyone I meet I like it so much. lol)

The ds-2 can produce a lot of different sounds, i never used the turbo setting, so you might want to consider the ds-1 its the same pedal without the turbo setting as far as i can tell. Solid pedal imo.
BRING BACK MY GRUNGE DAMMIT!
Seeing as you ignored the guy who asked before...

What amp are you using?

[EDIT]nvm, it's in your profile..and dear god, it's a Frontman

There's no point buying a Tubescreamer, you'd just be wasting a fair chunk of money on something that isn't going to do an awful lot in your situation.

Most cost effective pedal you could invest in is a Tech 21 Sansamp or a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde, with the Boss BD2 or the Rat a bit further behind due to the fact that they at least do enough to give you a workable distortion sound on the clean channel of an amp....but in general anything cheaper either isn't going to cover enough tones or simply won't do an awful lot. However the most cost effective thing to do is buy a halfway decent amp, the Frontman is pretty bad.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 22, 2008,
I'm in the market for an amp too. But who knows when that will be. I'm keeping all my options open.

and that frontman was a deal, for a good amp for a pretty much beginner. Its quality, not for gigging and stuff, but just for an all around practice amp.
They aren't quality - they're crap...poorly made and they don't sound particularly good. There's much better amps around for the same kind of money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com