Does cracking knuckles affect you later in life? Everyone keeps telling me that if I crack my knuckles too much i'll get arthritis and such when im older. And that would suck for guitar playing, obviously. So has anyone heard about it?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
no! this is just a stupid old wives tale.

scientific studies say that it is just a way for joints to release the gas that pents up inside of them, and that releasing the gas does no harm. this also creates the popping sound.

anyway, every bone in your body is replenished (regrown, as in its a whole new bone) every 5 to 10 years, so if it did hurt, you would have new bones in 5-10 years so... yah.

PS nice avatar
Do NOT look behind you.
C-man, thats what I had heard, too. So yay!
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Yeah, it's a wives tail, most commonly associated with Rhumatoid Arthritis; where you joints swell up HUGE and causes a lot of pain. Really sad occurance though.

I pop my fingers so they won't be so stiff when I'm playing.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
And if you keep making that face when you do pinch harmonics, it'll freeze that way forever.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
im so pleased to hear its an old wives tale cos my mum and dad always say i wont be able to play guitar when im like 40
No.
Just found out. The click is not caused by bones hitting against each other. You have a liquid that lubricates the joints with CO2 dissolved in. Sometimes you get a CO2 bubble (which allows you to click your knuckles). The sound is caused by the liquid hitting into itself from when the CO2 bubble escaped.
Quote by OmgLolwut
No.
Just found out. The click is not caused by bones hitting against each other. You have a liquid that lubricates the joints with CO2 dissolved in. Sometimes you get a CO2 bubble (which allows you to click your knuckles). The sound is caused by the liquid hitting into itself from when the CO2 bubble escaped.

i thought it was nitrogen, like the squeky pop test in school
Last edited by user_name>_> at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by GitfiddleNinjer
It's a release of Nitrogen if I remember my physiology right.

NITROGEN thats the word i was thinking of...... ill chandge what i said now lol
It just releases the air/gas in between your joints, which is actually good to do.
Quote by user_name>_>
i thought it was nitrogen, like the squeky pop test in school

lol,
yeah my science teacher said it didn't do any harm
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
there is no substantial proof that cracking your knuckles will do anything to cause arthritis..

however, there is some evidence that it MAY lead to reduced grip strength, but even that is still in the hypothesis stage anyway.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
there is no substantial proof that cracking your knuckles will do anything to cause arthritis..

however, there is some evidence that it MAY lead to reduced grip strength, but even that is still in the hypothesis stage anyway

This is true. Does nothing to arthritis, but can weaken your grip strength.
i crack my knuckles quite frequently too and i was always told that if i kept cracking them i was going to get arthritis in my hands.

i actually did a research project on Arthritis in school, and one thing i found was that there is absolutely no scientific evidence to support the assumption cracking your knuckles will lead to Arthritis in your fingers in the future. in other words cracking your knuckles doesnt and wont cause arthritis in your fingers, its just a myth. so crack away lol.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
Quote by Vulcan
And if you keep making that face when you do pinch harmonics, it'll freeze that way forever.

I lol'd
I asked my chiropractor about this. He told me it doesn't hurt you in anyway. Its just like adjusting your back.