Page 1 of 2
i have a friend who was really into nirvana in 7th grade (back then i wasn't really into music at all) and now in senior year he's into grindcore and black metal and stuff like that.... the thing is (at the moment) i like nirvana....so in 5 years will be all cookie monster too? i hope not... but it seems like one's musical tastes just go from softer to harder
Yes, nirvana is gateway drug to bad music.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
You might. If you don't like that music, then you probably wont though.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
No. I started to listen to GN'R, Sabbath etc. Went to Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer. Now I listen to Johnny Thunders, Bob Dylan, The Doors, Blondie and Kris Kristofferson.

Stop generalise.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I went from likein softer rock before listenin to metal, 5 yrs ago i hated it but now i cant get enough
it depends completely on the person. over the course of 5 years i went from green day to dream theater, you may go from nirvana to bb king... or you may just stick with nirvana, who knows?
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by Fresh'tillDeath
I went from likein softer rock before listenin to metal, 5 yrs ago i hated it but now i cant get enough

My condolences.
My tastes got a bit lighter as I got older, I consider much of the heavy stuff I used to listen to as rubbish now really. My tastes have also diversified greatly.
...Bleep Bloop...
It's not the same for everyone. It happened to me, in elementary I listened to ACDC, Zep, and a bunch of other classic rock bands m mom listened to... Then in middle school I got into more death metal stuff... In high school my tastes actually got a bit softer... It varies from person to person.
music really works a lot like drugs. you start with softer music until your tolerance goes up and you move on to harder and harder music.

then again, just like drugs, there's people that never move on to harder music.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
My tastes have got heavier. Black Metal, Death Metal, Metalcore are stuff I listen to quite a lot now. I still love the stuff I used to listen to though. My tastes don't change, they merely expand.
i find i haven't really changed musical tastes, i've just expanded on what it is I like.

It started with Wolfmother, then zep, metallica, the beatles, bob dylan, guns n' roses, i still listen to all of them though
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Quote by vartanspartan
music really works a lot like drugs. you start with softer music until your tolerance goes up and you move on to harder and harder music.

No it's not. Don't even try.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Except that's all wrong. Dumbass.

stfu

edit: lol it was just a generalization. but i guess also as you mature u start to move away from heavy music.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you say you hope not?
If you end up liking it you're not gonna say 'I wish I never got into this'.
Never be ashamed of what you like, why should you be?
I like Nirvana gets old after a while, after you mature as a musician and a listener.
Because I was really into Nirvana in 7th and 8th grade- now I'm a junior in high school and I listen to bands like Dream Theater, Trivium, and Coheed and Cambria.
I think it's more of a realization that all of Nirvana's stuff sounds the same. Hahahaha.
Quote by vartanspartan
stfu

Why? It's not even right what you are saying. It varies from person to person. If you deny that you really are stupid. It's not some kind of golden rule that everyone moves on to harder stuff.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Why? It's not even right what you are saying. It varies from person to person. If you deny that you really are stupid. It's not some kind of golden rule that everyone moves on to harder stuff.

ok ok .. i added afterwards that i was just making a generalization.
Quote by Trowzaa
ive always loved nirvana, never changed, but nirvana has introduced me to old old blues guys (leadbelly, etc.) and some lesser known punk bands that are cool
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
I went through the exact same transition (nirvana in 7th grade, hard progressive black and death by 12th). what's wrong with it, embrace it!!!!
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Well all through High School I listened to hard rock, eventually metal and most of its sub genres (without including industrial, wasn't huge on it)
Now it's University, and I still listen to the same thing

I must be the most terrible person ever.

Stop generalizing dude, I listen to more metal than the average guy, and it's not a bad thing. I still respect and listen to other music, hell, the GRP Big Band has quite a few plays on my playlist, same with Ray Lamontagne and John Pattitucci. It's not as though when you start listening to heavy music, it immediately shuts all doors to other styles of music... It's your own choice dude
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Oh Jesus Christ, stfu and stoping trying to start a fight in a forum. You're still going to be the retarded one in the end.

Everyone's music moves in different directions, depends on what they're exposed to and what they started with.
listen to led zeppelin they even tried raggea (or however the **** its spelled) u can never get bored
i started off liking country when i was like 4, went on to the shitty bands like blink 182 at around 12, and i got into metal when i was around 15. I'm 17 now and im listening to heavy metal, death metal, etc...
Well, I started with Black Sabbath went to Cradle Of Filth, Ever Dark, As Blood Runs Black etc...

Now, Im starting to get into country styled music, blue and Alternative
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Oh Jesus Christ, stfu and stoping trying to start a fight in a forum. You're still going to be the retarded one in the end.

Everyone's music moves in different directions, depends on what they're exposed to and what they started with.

And that's not what I am trying to say?
my taste definately progressed into 'harder' music for a while not that i abandoned all the soft stuff i listened to, but the majority of it was heavier music. then i began to embrace softer music once again, such as pop
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
And that's not what I am trying to say?

That is what you're trying to say, and you're pretty much right. But your trying to take a stance as if you're right and everyone else is stupid. We're making a generalization, obviously there's exceptions.
Quote by Trowzaa
I dunno, I think I'm still in the middle of a progression to heavier music. At the moment I only like my growls/screams when they're with clean vocals (i.e. Into Eternity, Killswitch Engage etc.) or when they're just amazing (i.e. Opeth).

But I haven't moved on. I don't swap bands. I'll go through different phases of music I like, but I'll still go back and listen to bands that I used to listen to ages ago. I very rarely go off bands.
Quote by vartanspartan
That is what you're trying to say, and you're pretty much right. But your trying to take a stance as if you're right and everyone else is stupid. We're making a generalization, obviously there's exceptions.

Yeah well I didn't see that you wrote that you made a generalization though. Sorry for that.
Started out with Green Day. Went to Megadeth, Slayer, Shadows Fall, etc. I still listen to Megadeth, Slayer, and Shadows Fall, but my tastes have broadened to more death metal.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Quote by Trefellin
I started with Sabbath and ended with Darkthrone.

Pretty much this. Except I still listen to the softer stuff. And I've even gone softer (classical mostly, and post-rock).
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by metalcore123
it's a fact:

Soft music = Homosexual music.
Cookie monster music = Manly.

You choose.

so ur saying that ALL led zeppelin fans are gay then? and cream fans? jeff beck? uve got more gays then straghts actually like 10 to 1, anyways, most of the time a metal singer is singing he looks like he trying to eat the mic like ur moms **** so
well i started out as a bit of a blues hound ... then i went to college, got into metal, jazz and now ill pretty much listen to anything so long as it's interesting.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Page 1 of 2