So as of last weekend I have jam sessions with a new band 3 times a week, 2 of which are are after work. But I live on the opposite end of the city from both my work and the place where we jam. So in the time it takes me to leave work, go home, change clothes, pack up my gear, and drive to the jam there is no way to make it in time (even if I didn't ahve to deal with rush hour traffic it'd be tough). Currently I only have one guitar and one working amp and I don't have money for anything more at present time. I would say just leave my gear there, but I can't do that right now since I'll have nothing to practice at home with.

Anyway, now my question. Until I can afford more gear I either have to keep going back and forth from work to home to jam and hope they don't get pissed that I'm always late, or I bring my gear with me to work and go straight to the jams afterward. However, pretty soon winter will be here and it will be cold as hell outside. I would NEVER leave my guitar out in my car in the cold, but what about the amp? I can probably bring my guitar into work with me and stash it in a closet for the day, but my huge, heavy ass amp can't be so accomodated. So, how safe/unsafe is it to keep the amp in the trunk of a car out in the winter cold? My guess is that it's a really, really bad idea. But I'm not 100% on that. What if I were to wrap it in blankets?

I don't know. If things don't work out with this band then I don't really have to worry about it for much longer. But if I stick with it, it'll take me a while to save up for at least an extra amp so I can just leave one there and keep one at home. But until I do, I really need a better option than driving back and forth across the city just to load up gear and inevitably show up late for the jams. I know there probably is no solution, but where would we be without hope?
take the guitar to work with you and stash it in the closet like you said but leave the amp at your jam house. you dont need an amp to practice. sure it helps and all but you can manage without it.
unless you lived in Antarctica i wouldn't really worry about it.

Edit: but if you really wanted to you could wrap them in a blanket.
Well, when you bring the cold amp inside condensation will probably form on it, which is bad. Your best bet is to leave the amp at the band place and practice at home acoustically or lug the amp from home to practice. If you look hard on CL you could probably find a microcube or a da5 for like 50 bucks.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by alexjulia
take the guitar to work with you and stash it in the closet like you said but leave the amp at your jam house. you dont need an amp to practice. sure it helps and all but you can manage without it.

Hmm... that totally doesn't seem like common sense
If it's a solid state amp I wouldn't worry about it. If its a tube amp I would reconsider. I'm sure moisture on the tubes from the cold then going directly into a jam session will do damage.
Washburn WI-64
Jackson DK2
Randall RM100C
Digitech RP200A
Digitech DF-7
Digitech Phase Shifter
Boss OS-2
Boss Bf-2
^^Umm, yeah it does, guitars can be played without amps.

I wouldn't recommend doing it with any amp, SS or tube. If condensation forms on the chassis it'll fry the amp, no matter how it's powered.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Just bring it inside at work. There has to be some safe place to stash it. Even construction sites have trailers.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^^^^Agreed on cold/condensation being a problem for any kind of amp. Also agreed that you don't need an amp to practice on your own. In fact I think it can only be good for you and your technique, IMO.

That being said.....have you tried asking the rest of the band if they could move practice back a half hour? It seems like your schedule is hectic enough as it is, and with concerns over gear damage, I would hope they'd be accomadating about practice. (I know my band would in this situation.)
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Well, in my case I do need the amp for practice. I have to learn a bunch of songs that the band wrote before I joined. I'm listening to rough demos and trying to play along to learn the songs. Kind of hard to do this without distortion (at least for me). Not to mention that all teh songs are in B standard, which is even harder to make out when you're "unplugged". If I were just practicing songs I already new then I probably wouldn't need the amp.

Anyway, I think I'm just gonna try to finance a decent (and preferably used) head from this local music store and then rent out a cab from them too and just leave them at the jam. This way I can keep my hulking combo at home and not break the bank (I hope) with a straight up new amp purchase.
I assume you have a distortion pedal of some sort?

Carry that around with you, plug in headphones at home to practice with, and take it from work to practice.

Assuming its like my distortion/effects pedal
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Well, when you bring the cold amp inside condensation will probably form on it, which is bad. Your best bet is to leave the amp at the band place and practice at home acoustically or lug the amp from home to practice. If you look hard on CL you could probably find a microcube or a da5 for like 50 bucks.

The thing about that though... in winter there is like 0% humidity inside because of the heating. But I agree, small practice amp for home, big amp for practice.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
leave the amp at the jam space and spend like 100 bucks on a Cube, a Vypr or (dare i?) a Spider III for you to jam along with at home.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
leave the amp at the jam space and spend like 100 bucks on a Cube, a Vypr or (dare i?) a Spider III for you to jam along with at home.

+1, and +1 for all who have said leave it at the jam space.

It'll make life easier on you, and if you ever want to practice at night, then you can use those. 'Cause I seriously doubt you'll want to use whatever massive combo you have....

That's why I stole my friend's Danelectro battery amp
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Deep*Kick
I assume you have a distortion pedal of some sort?

Why the hell would I have a distortion pedal when I have such a wicked badass amp that inherently has killer distortion?

Quote by stratman_13
+1, and +1 for all who have said leave it at the jam space.

It'll make life easier on you, and if you ever want to practice at night, then you can use those. 'Cause I seriously doubt you'll want to use whatever massive combo you have....

You quite obviously don't know me very well. The louder the better! Haha!

And it's not just at night when I play anyway. Mostly the early evenings and weekends when I can play it loud. Either way though, I think a new amp is the solution I'm leaning towards now. Now if I can just solve my cash flow problem...
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Oct 22, 2008,
i`m lucky enuff that my house is the jam space, but i leave my Marshall in the garage.. (probly should bring it in soon) and i have a Marshall MG10KK to practice on in my house, ya i like it loud too, but thats what band is for i don`t need a huge amp to practice on in my living room.
I dont know what amp you have. You can still buy a cheap effects pedal for practicing, if you have headphones. Cheaper than getting your tubes of fuse or whatever replaced when your parts shrink in the cold, then expand when played.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
My band jams in a barn and one guitarist leaves both his 50 watt marshall tube amps out there and the other guitarist leaves his mesa dual recto out there and I leave my peavey vb-2 out there(225 watt tube amp). it's heated when we play and left cold 6days a week. no problems yet. except a blown fuse. Also all our PA equipment(Equalizers power amp...everything. stays out there. If you're worried about moisture cover it with a canvas or plastic cover and then heat the room before taking it off. it won't block all moisture but will help considerably.

EDIT: the marshalls have been out there for somethin like 4 years except for gigs. no problems at all.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu