as some of you may know, my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe committed suicide. (R.I.P.) so now im on the hunt for a more professional level amplifier, capable of that elusive "blackface" clean sound and able to be coaxed to do some many other tones well. i was (am) looking at the fender super reverb, Dr Z EZG 50, Dr Z Galaxie, Mesa Lonestar, and a few others. but today i went to guitar center just to try somethings out. they dont have much to choose from.

several amps were nice, but didnt really do anything for me. i noticed a mesa in the corner that i had never heard of, and assumed it was a high gain metal monster. i was talking to a salesman, asking if they ever have lonestars in. he suggested i try out this Mesa Heartbreaker, assuring me it was built for the tones im looking for.

I plugged in a strat and just started playing, while the salesman (the first salesman i ever met that was helpful) fiddled with the knobs and showed me all the settings. going through all the thousands and thousands of knobs, it ranged from sparkly clean fender tones, some very good sounding Dumble-esque tones, some Santana smooth gain, and up to a hard rock type of gain. and the second channel started off with a very mid-y warm clean, and can be easily pushed into a fairly british overdrive. for the first time in my life, i was blown away with an amp. Im still speechless. I think i might be returning there this weekend to buy it. My question is, as it looks like i will be unable to try out the Lonestar, (which seemed to be the right amp for me) should i go ahead and purchase the heartbreaker, or should i try and find something else and risk this now discontinued amp to be sold to another lucky person?
also, does anyone have any experience with this amp? thanks for reading my long post.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
dude, if you were "blown away" by it, get it. That is if your absolutely sure you love it though.
Dude, you answered your own question.

You fell in love, so now buy the damn amp!
good point guys, but what if its just lust, haha. or what if im blown away with the lonestar of a DR. Z. (which i probably wont get to try out.)
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
im afraid that it cant possibly be as good as i think. it seems to good to be true, i mean, i did the dumble sound, and he straight up fender sound, and a very good marshall sound, only smoother. i must at least try it out some more before i decide. i miss the thing already.
has anyone played the lonestar? are its cleans this orgasmic?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Oct 21, 2008,
If you get the Heartbreaker, I will have to find and kill you. Sorry, that is the chance you take
Quote by CJRocker
If you get the Heartbreaker, I will have to find and kill you. Sorry, that is the chance you take

haha, why is that? you can find me and play the amp if you want.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I liked the Lonestar I tried ; reminded me of a slightly warmer version of my DC on the cleans, but didn't have much balls. The Hearbreakers are supposed to be quite good, and if you were blown away by it, go for it.
Have you tried a Blue Angel?
Quote by imgooley
Have you tried a Blue Angel?

i havent tried it, because i havent seen one yet. however i looked it up when you mentioned it the other day. it seems right up my alley.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
haha, why is that? you can find me and play the amp if you want.

Way too far to go... I've always wanted one because they are supposed to sound damn good good, and Prince used them for awhile on some records and on tour IIRC back in the early/mid 90s before going to Orange more recently. Plus, got to be cheaper than the amp they are based on haha
Well for what its worth, it definitely does sound very good.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
bump?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Have you thought about buying the Heartbreaker, waiting for an opportunity to play through the Lonestar, see which one you like and if it's the Lonestar you could part fund that purchase by selling the Heartbreaker (which should still hold a respectable used price)?
actually, i havent thought of that. i will do that.
but last night i decided that i want to buy this amp. i have to call my parents later to see if i can get a loan. i hope so. im dying without an amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
looks like a cool amp. i looked it up on ebay and saw the specs. only turn off for me would be it is 100 watts. you may wanna look into getting an attenuator.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
looks like a cool amp. i looked it up on ebay and saw the specs. only turn off for me would be it is 100 watts. you may wanna look into getting an attenuator.

it has a switch to bring it down to 60. i was able to get the tones i wanted from it at less than stage volume.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
It seems that, due to some unexpected financial circumstances, and the fact that i dont have much money to begin with, i am unable to get the funds i need for a new amp. I guess im going to be S.O.L. for the rest of the calendar year. hopefully i will be able to borrow an amp for all the shows i have coming up. i really hate to see this amp go.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
There's one at the guitar store I frequent right now.

I didn't spend much time with it and I was playing it at low volumes but I thought it sounded pretty killer man.

If I was you, I would pull the trigger.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
believe me man, i am completely willing to pull the trigger and buy this amp, however there is nothing in the chamber of this gun, because im broke.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
believe me man, i am completely willing to pull the trigger and buy this amp, however there is nothing in the chamber of this gun, because im broke.

... Damn man.

It'll probably be gone within the week.

Didn't want to rain on your parade or anything.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I fear that it will be gone soon, but it has been there at least since this semester started a few months ago.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.