So i deleted my other thread where everyone thought i was talking about Gibson, not Epiphone.

Anyway I'm thinking of getting a new guitar but I'm kinda on a budget. I can get a Epi LP studio for $600.00 or a standerd for $750.00.

I can get about 10 percent off though. What's the real difference? Is it worth the extra $150?
yes....get the standard.
it's kind of stereotypical that most studio's (Epiphone and Gibson) are of up quality, build quality and sound.

this of course matters about your personal preference, but majority of people would take a standard over a studio...
so just play the two and decide
who in gods name is charging that much for an epiphone? especially for the studio. at MOST an epi les paul standard plus top should be about $550. if you get the plain top even less (around $450). whoever is trying to sell you that has their prices waaaaaay jacked up.
Quote by Ghold125
yes....get the standard.
it's kind of stereotypical that most studio's (Epiphone and Gibson) are of up quality, build quality and sound.

this of course matters about your personal preference, but majority of people would take a standard over a studio...
so just play the two and decide

I'm going to go and try them out but i just want to know if there are any real differences. If its only the pick-ups and wiring and stuff i can get new pick-ups and rewire but if the woods crap, the hardware's crap and overall build quality is crap I'l go with the standerd.

Quote by ADTR1390
who in gods name is charging that much for an epiphone? especially for the studio. at MOST an epi les paul standard plus top should be about $550. if you get the plain top even less (around $450). whoever is trying to sell you that has their prices waaaaaay jacked up.

Australia, mate. After price conversion from US to AUS dollers plus shipping, music stuff get a lot more expensive here.
if my memory serves me correctly, the epi studio is just mahogany. but the standard has a mahogany body with an alder top. alder is cheaper than maple. the standard plus just has a maple veneer over the alder top.

i would go no lower than the standard. some people tried shooing me from the standard even, saying go no lower than the custom. i have the standard plus, and im in love with it!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by chagmaier
if my memory serves me correctly, the epi studio is just mahogany. but the standard has a mahogany body with an alder top. alder is cheaper than maple. the standard plus just has a maple veneer over the alder top.
Three years ago that was right, but they 'fixed' the incorrect woods ages ago, so now they don't use alder in any of their Les Paul models.

Anyway, get a Standard. It's simply better quality in every single respect. Enough said.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Three years ago that was right, but they 'fixed' the incorrect woods ages ago, so now they don't use alder in any of their Les Paul models.

Anyway, get a Standard. It's simply better quality in every single respect. Enough said.

What wood do they use for the standard?
mahogany with a maple top
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by Mazzakazza
That's an expensive Epi :/

But go for the standard, better build quality.

OK thanks for your help guys. By the way its expensive because its australia where a valveking costs a testicle. Everything is expensive here.
Quote by lithium26
mahogany with a maple top

so, my 08 LP has a real maple top? is there a way to verify this with the serial number?
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Final !mpact

Australia, mate. After price conversion from US to AUS dollers plus shipping, music stuff get a lot more expensive here.

ahh, my bad man. but i'd still get the standard. unless you play a studio you really like. ive played both extensively and i prefer the standard over it almost 99% of the time (at least in my experiences).
The basic difference between the Epi Studio and Standard is nothing more than finish. The Studio and Standard are made out of the same materials (mahogany body and neck and rosewood FB.
The big difference is finish. The Standard comes with bigger choice of finishes , trapazoid inlays on the FB as compared to dots on the Studio and the Standard comes with binding on the neck and body. There is a slight weight difference between the two also.
If the Guitars are set up properly they should play the same.
go to www.johnhguitar.com and look for rockongoodpeople and get some better informed opinions.
Quote by chagmaier
so, my 08 LP has a real maple top? is there a way to verify this with the serial number?
If it was made in the last two years (maybe three) then it'll have a proper maple top.

Epi have really upped their game in the last couple of years. All the proper woods, decent electronics (pickups aside), some of the best hardware on the market (bizarrely, their stopbars and their tuners are better than the ones used on Gibson Standards. No, I have no idea why Gibson would allow this either).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.