One of my biggest influences as a guitar player is John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I play ALOT of their songs, and I have a question regarding one chord he uses. I know he uses it in Under the Bridge and Scar Tissue, and probably others as well. I know he uses it based on watching videos to see where he's playing on the neck and then using my ears to figure out the chord. It's played, in both cases, like so:

0 0 X
X 0 0
0 0 X
X 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 0

(Sorry if there's a tab notation that I'm not using)

I really just want to know what it's called, thanks.
Last edited by Andrew07 at Oct 21, 2008,
It's a diminished 7th chord. I'll tab out something so you can quote my post and see how to use code.

e-3--
B-2--
G-3--
D-2--
A---
E---

That would be an E diminished 7th chord, often written Eo7.
That's not the chord. In the case of Scar Tissue it's this:

E-5--
B-3--
G-5--
D-3--
A---
E---
That's an F6 chord because it is F C D A from lowest to highest strings.
12 fret fury
You're right. That chord fingering is very close to that diminished chord, hence my confusion. Let's take a look at the correct chord:

Notes from low to high: F C D A. You would normally assume that the lowest note determines the chord, but that itsn't the case here. You could consider it F6, but 6 chords aren't such strong chords in the sense that the root doesn't really sound like the root. Since the song is in the key of Dm, this chord sounds much more like some kind of Dm chord; the bolded notes form the Dm triad. With the root assumed to be D, and the Dm triad evident, you now look at the remaining note, C. C is the m7 of D, so the chord is an inversion of Dm7. My guess is that Flea is playing some kind of D-rooted riff under the chord to really emphasize that it's Dm7.

The chord could also be called F6, but 6 chords are weak in my opinion and the root doesn't really sound like the note to which the chord wants to resolve. That's why I would call it a Dm7 inversion rather than F6, and the fact that the song is in Dm.
6 chords are basically a IVmaj9, which is probably why they don't sound stable. If you play F6 differently,
E--1--
B--3--
G--2--
D--3--
A--3--
E--1--

It also resembles a Bbmaj7 or Bbmaj9 chord
E--1--
B--3--
G--2--
D--3--
A--1--
E--x--

Among other chords, I imagine, but this is just the most prominent chord I notice.