I have recently become infatuated with guitar solos and decided I would love to try and take up the guitar. I have looked around at different guitar sites and tried to get some information on what guitars are good for beginners. I'm not sure if different guitars play different types of rock, but if they do, I would like to play classic rock, specifically some David Gilmour. Ive heard that that the standard les paul guitar is pretty good for beginners and Ive also looked at some fender strats. Im not looking to spend too much, but i wanna make sure i get a decent guitar that is good for playing classic rock type music and is also good for beginners. Thanks for the help!
A strat or an Epi les paul would do you good as a beginner. The LP is about 500 and the strat is around 400 though. So you might look for a Squier or a lower end epiphone instead.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I'd recommend looking at one of the strats used on Craigslist or eBay or something. I've seen Mexican strats go as low as $150 used if your fine with a couple dings.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Epiphone LP Special II. Just make sure you play the one you're going to buy, I've played some that were brilliant for the price, and some that I couldn't stand. All in all, though, it's a great beginner guitar. Also, try your local Craigslist Music Inst. section, you can find some good deals there. Best to take someone who knows guitar with you when you buy whatever you do, though.
Well, I like strats, so I'll say the first. I also dislike the Special II, so again, the first.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Whatever you do DO NOT buy the 99 dollar squier. You will regret it within 2 months or less. Save up a little and buy a crate v series 5 watt tube amp and a mexican fat strat (humbucker with 2 single pickups)

also read everything in these forums to basically get an idea of what is and isn't good.

ALSO ALSO stay away from anything made by line 6, behringer (not bugera, they are good) and the marshall mg series.