hey guys,

I'm hoping you have some tips for me here,

tomorrow I might be jamming with a band that's looking for a new singer, the style is just generally 'rock' (RHCP, foo fighters, led zeppelin, etc.)

I have never 'jammed' with anyone really, i've just been rocking out by myself with my acoustic guitar in my room

If there was a set list, I'd practice those songs and I'd be a lot more comfortable...still quite nervous (haven't totally overcome the fear of singing in front of others)

but I asked how they usually jam, and they say it's usually originals and 'free jam'

...this is quite intimidating for me, but I know it'd be worth it

any ideas on how to handle this one?
i've never been in that situation, but i think what you should do is just relax and go with the flow, don't worry about whether you suck or not.
The best advice I can give would be to just go with the flow and see what happens. Thats what jamming is all about just playing, no restrictions. It can be intimidating the first time but remember just to have fun with it.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
I would be really uncomfortable showing up for an audition with nothing prepared - whether it was for guitar or vocals. The whole "just show up and jam and we'll see what happens" totally wouldn't work for me. I, personally, would want something more structured and disciplined. Otherwise, IMHO, it is a recipe for wasting vast amounts of time and wouldn't bother.

If you're anything like me, ask them to provide you with a list of songs they can play and ask if it is okay if you pick three of them to work on. Alternately, have them tell you which three. I like the first option better, as it allows you to pick stuff that will suit your voice, be in your range, and will allow your voice to shine best. Work on those three songs, and get them good. That way, when you show up to the audition, you have nothing to be nervous about. If you're good AND prepared, you (especially as a singer) can take the approach of YOU'RE the one auditioning THEM.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I would be really uncomfortable showing up for an audition with nothing prepared - whether it was for guitar or vocals. The whole "just show up and jam and we'll see what happens" totally wouldn't work for me. I, personally, would want something more structured and disciplined. Otherwise, IMHO, it is a recipe for wasting vast amounts of time and wouldn't bother.

If you're anything like me, ask them to provide you with a list of songs they can play and ask if it is okay if you pick three of them to work on. Alternately, have them tell you which three. I like the first option better, as it allows you to pick stuff that will suit your voice, be in your range, and will allow your voice to shine best. Work on those three songs, and get them good. That way, when you show up to the audition, you have nothing to be nervous about. If you're good AND prepared, you (especially as a singer) can take the approach of YOU'RE the one auditioning THEM.

CT

Read everything this guy says. And then do it.

I'm not kidding.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
thanks for the tips guys,

I emailed the guy back and put it all out there, along with a set list I'd like to warm up with...

gotta start somewhere right?

just cause I'm shy doesn't mean I can't sing or can't learn to be comfortable on stage, I just need a band to practice with and ease into the whole thing

I'll let you know how it goes
Quote by mybsaccownt
thanks for the tips guys,

I emailed the guy back and put it all out there, along with a set list I'd like to warm up with...

gotta start somewhere right?

just cause I'm shy doesn't mean I can't sing or can't learn to be comfortable on stage, I just need a band to practice with and ease into the whole thing

I'll let you know how it goes

good luck dude, and if you do get scared of singing in front of them, the key is to think or the randomest thing you can. For instance, i usually think about food whilst singing/guitar/drums.

It's all good
Quote by axemanchris

CT

that is sooooooo rock n roll, structured jam sessions and pre-prepared song lists

haha!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Quote by axemanchris

CT

"Vast amounts of time"? How is taking a chance one night vast amounts of time? Your a puss.
I mean, they call themselves a band. That means they should know some songs. If they don't they've been wasting time. Even if they just got together last week, they should have a few songs they learned for homework or something, no?

If their approach to rehearsals is like the audition where everyone just kinda shows up and does whatever comes to them, being in a band with them carrying on like that week after week is wasting vast amounts of time.

As far as it being rock and roll or not... Rock and Roll is like a Ferrarri. I mean looking beast on the surface, but a finely-tuned machine under the hood.

CT

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

If you practiced and learn how to play your instruments bass vocals guitar and can jam its far from a waste of time. Just because you cant improvise doesnt mean that when other people get together to jam its a waste of time. I love to go to play with friends and jam with nothing prepared its tons of fun and very good for practiceing playing my guitar and using new licks and skills ive learned in my private practice time. I hardly would call having fun jamming with other musicians a waste of time. Worked well for allman bros grateful dead little feat phish and many other bands.
Those bands are the very rare exceptions. Statistically, bands that take that approach to 'practicing' never ever get out of the basement. That's what I mean by wasting time.

If it is just for kicks, and the purpose is just to jam and have fun, then fine. If you hope to be a gigging band... learn songs.

CT

I think the free jam is cool because you can see how you relate to the other members in the most open setting. Good to see if a chemistry is there. Same chemistry that you will always have with them when writing songs... that usually start off as a free jam.

Good luck, relax and have fun.
Quote by jsantos
... when writing songs... that usually start off as a free jam.

While that is true a lot of the time, it is equally true a lot of the time that the songs are written by one or two band members and then brought to the band for finishing. Look through your favourite CDs and check out the songwriting credits. Probably 2/3 of the time, there will be no more than two names.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
While that is true a lot of the time, it is equally true a lot of the time that the songs are written by one or two band members and then brought to the band for finishing. Look through your favourite CDs and check out the songwriting credits. Probably 2/3 of the time, there will be no more than two names.

CT

Sure I understand. You never know when and how a great idea for a song will arise... sometimes in the middle of the night on an acoustic by yourself, or jamming with a drummer because you two were a little early at the practice space.

I think that when a person is trying out for a band, covers would always be a good thing to try.

In my case, I ask that the band to show me something that they are working on and I try to work with it and see what I can come up with.
Go with the flow and sing your heart out. There is no real pressure. Just relax and have fun.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by axemanchris
CT

Agreed. Jamming helps gel things that are brought to practice, and smooth out where sections should go if issues arise.....it should never be the solution to working things out, like axeman said, of solving all the issues of being in a band. People need to come in with a set plan of what will be done, or what a song can come from, or it WILL be a huge waste of time.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....