Page 1 of 2
so i've been wanting to find some Dark classical music to listen to and i have no idea were to start so im open to any suggestions, thou i would appericate it if it were on itunes

thanks and, sorry if in the wrong forum
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Igor Stravinski

Firebird Suite or the Rite of Spring. It's fuucked up

Two of the best songs ever.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Last edited by hyroglyph!c at Oct 21, 2008,
The Classic era is pretty dark.....Try:

One Winged Angel (Can't spell the composer's name but you'll get the right one with the name)
Symphony#5 in C Minor - Beethoven
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - Bach
Unfinished Symphony - Schubert
Rite of Spring - Stravinsky

That should give you a good start and that spans a good portion of time.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by hyroglyph!c
Igor Stravinski

The Planet Suite or the Rite of Spring. It's fuucked up

Two of the best songs ever.

Yeah, although I think Stravinski would be considered Neoclassical, I have to agree.

Check out Rite of Spring. It was the most controversial piece in history, at the time. The astonished audience members actually went crazy, throwing chairs and getting up on stage.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by BladeSlinger
One Winged Angel (Can't spell the composer's name but you'll get the right one with the name)

...Nobuo Uematsu?

Tocatto and Fugue in D Minor (Bach) is pretty damn "dark," I guess.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Classical music sucks.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
bach
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Quote by goest
Oh...you're good...

It sucks almost as much as TS's question.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by BladeSlinger

One Winged Angel would be Nubuo Uematsu.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by Xiaoxi
Classical music sucks.

I'm assuming you reached that decision logically and have perfectly good reasons to back it up? no. oh. i'm sorry.
A is A

Quote by CrackAddict2000
I find it quite astonishing how you managed to post this if the site is just a man with a beard.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Classical music sucks.

Well, hey, man, that's just like... your opinion, man.
Quote by gourd42
I'm assuming you reached that decision logically and have perfectly good reasons to back it up? no. oh. i'm sorry.

I said it. That's the only reason that matters.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by gourd42

Oh ye of little knowledge, do not further embarrass yourselves.
Quote by goest
Oh ye of little knowledge, do not further embarrass yourselves.

Naw. Couch knows what's up.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Flying Couch
Dude...

Welp, now I'm confused...

EDIT: Nevermind...
Quote by BladeSlinger

thanks man this is basically what i was looking for but keep em coming
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Xiaoxi
I said it. That's the only reason that matters.

So why does classical music suck?
A is A

Quote by CrackAddict2000
I find it quite astonishing how you managed to post this if the site is just a man with a beard.
Okay, serious answer time:

TS, it's good and all, but don't be a passive listener. Classical music is more than just about tone poetry and mood. Actively learn its culture and conventions. Same could be said for every genre of music, but it's even more important for classical because its subtlety and painstaking nuances are missed by the listeners too often.

Quote by gourd42

Because someone's sarcasm detector is broken.

By the way, if you're so intent on defending classical music, get to know it first. Anyone with basic knowledge would've called shenanigans after seeing my obnoxious love of fugues in my sig.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Okay, serious answer time:

TS, it's good and all, but don't be a passive listener. Classical music is more than just about tone poetry and mood. Actively learn its culture and conventions. Same could be said for every genre of music, but it's even more important for classical because its subtlety and painstaking nuances are missed by the listeners too often.

I hate you. You had me there for a second.
A is A

Quote by CrackAddict2000
Quote by gourd42

You have not taken my advice, it appears...
Quote by gourd42

Call a repairman, your sarcasm detector is broken.
Quote by gourd42
I hate you. You had me there for a second.

Correction, I had you for 4 minutes. And boy, it was a good 4 minutes.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Correction, I had you for 4 minutes. And boy, it was a good 4 minutes.

I didn't read your sig.

sorry.

And i hoped you enjoyed those four lovely minutes.
A is A

Quote by CrackAddict2000
God, I F*CKING hate when people only want dark classical music. To me, that's when families eat at a Mexican restaurant and their kids get a cheeseburger from the kids menu. I'm not saying it's childish, and yeah, the cheeseburger is probably good, but there's so much more.

Anyways, this is a dark and ridiculously difficult piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSPDmQtWPak
Quote by gourd42

And i hoped you enjoyed those four lovely minutes.

So. Delicious.

Quote by The Madcap
God, I F*CKING hate when people only want dark classical music. To me, that's when families eat at a Mexican restaurant and their kids get a cheeseburger from the kids menu. I'm not saying it's childish, and yeah, the cheeseburger is probably good, but there's so much more.

The only person who undermastands me. <3

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Just curious, Xiaoxi. Since you're a big Bach fan, what do you think of the more modern composers like Prokofiev or Sorabji.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82iMCEfGOCU&feature=related

That's Sorabji. I'll be honest, I really hate Sorabji sometimes, but Prokofiev is good.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
How come whenever people want classical music they want dark/epic classical music?

Because they're dilettantes.

Quote by The Madcap
Just curious, Xiaoxi. Since you're a big Bach fan, what do you think of the more modern composers like Prokofiev or Sorabji.

I already know your distaste for Sorabji. I don't like him either.

I have a very polarized outlook on the classical spectrum right now. To me, it's polyphonic (mainly Bach...screw the others) versus monophonic. I'm just entranced by Bach's mastery of polyphony. It's so elaborate and interwoven yet intriguing and musical, like fine crafted mechanics. I deduce everything else to just chords and melodies from classical and onward. They can be great, and they focus on other aspects of the music, but I'm just sold to Bach's machine-like music.

I like Prokofiev though. He had some great harmonic ideas.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by The Madcap

Anyways, this is a dark and ridiculously difficult piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSPDmQtWPak

Why? I love dark music and I think a symphony sounds amazing when playing dark themed music. The bouncy, happy stuff annoys me. I'm a Baroque fan though, Vivaldi's mah man. I'm a fan of piano pieces and string quartets too...Farewell to Rome is very nice.

Gustav Holst - Mars (Bringer of war) is pretty darn epic.
Sibelius - Concerto in D Minor
Fanny Mendelssohn - Farewell to Rome

If you get a taste for more of this type of music, try branching out to other styles. I prefer dark music but I enjoy happy sounding stuff sometimes. It's all about keeping your ears open.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2