im looking for a new pickup for the neck position of my les paul 100:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-Electric-Guitar-100246478-i1150098.gc
i play punk pop-ish stuff (fall out boy, paramore, all american rejects, etc.) and my problem with the stock pickup is that its too muddy
help is greatly appreciated
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
I was gonna say "Hey, I've got an LP-100 too! And I put a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and it sounds great!"

But since you play fall out boy I honestly think pickups are the least of your worries.
Last edited by irishstang_87 at Oct 21, 2008,
can we try 2 refrain from dissing my music?
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Quote by jsaatsaz
can we try 2 refrain from dissing my music?

Yeah, dude, I'm just giving you a hard time. The Pearly Gates in my LP-100 gives a way sharper tone than the stock pups, but I wouldn't recommend it for what you play. Try Seymour Duncan's website, there's a calculater that'll help you out. Actually, here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/tone-wizard/
can i put a SH-4 JB in the neck?
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Yeah, I was actually looking for one of those before I found the Pearly Gates. The SH-4's a great all around humbucker, from what i've heard.
between the SH-4 JB and the Sh-1 '59, which might better suit me?
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
k and one last question how did u get the switch ring off ur paul?
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
It's kinda glued on there, but after I took the switch nut off I just worked my finger underneath it and it came off. Just be careful if you do, so you don't scratch the finish. Afterwards I had to clean off the glue that was left on the body, but some water and a rag took care of it pretty quickly. You thinking about taking it off?
iv been thinking about it...
i like modding a guitar, it just makes it seems more like my own
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Yeah, that was kinda the point of modding mine. And I really like the way the -100 plays. Trust me, with some new pickups, it'll absolutely scream. I also put some gibson tuners on it, it's a pretty decent guitar now.
jsaatsaz, i know this is off topic, but I noticed you were going to buy a Line 6 Spider...now, i've been doing some research, and judging from the general opinion on UG, you might be better off with a Peavey Vypyr 75w at that price. Tons of effects, 11 different models (technically 22, but theres a clean/hi-gain option for each), and better tone and such.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
jsaatsaz, i know this is off topic, but I noticed you were going to buy a Line 6 Spider...now, i've been doing some research, and judging from the general opinion on UG, you might be better off with a Peavey Vypyr 75w at that price. Tons of effects, 11 different models (technically 22, but theres a clean/hi-gain option for each), and better tone and such.

Yeah, he's actually right, lower end Line 6's aren't really worth the money
Bro I see you're saving up for a Line 6...I would put your money towards a better amp then that instead of putting $90 or so on a pickup. A nice amp would definitely give you a better more noticeable tone, and btw Line 6's aren't that great for the money. Some would even say that they're terrible for the money.
Don't bother - the guitar's not worth upgrading and also you need a new amp...it must be really bad if you're looking at the Spider as an upgrade.

Pickups would be a complete waste of money, they're not going to improve your sound and if you're short of cash there compeltely unnecessary - you've got absolutely no way of knowing if a pickup is "muddy" if you're playing it through a shitbox amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Don't bother - the guitar's not worth upgrading and also you need a new amp...it must be really bad if you're looking at the Spider as an upgrade.

Pickups would be a complete waste of money, they're not going to improve your sound and if you're short of cash there compeltely unnecessary - you've got absolutely no way of knowing if a pickup is "muddy" if you're playing it through a shitbox amp.

This is true, but it's not quite fair to say the guitar isn't worth upgrading. After all, he can do a pup swap and take it right back out if he wants for another guitar in the future etc. (he won't be wasting money with that route like he would with a Spider amp). Otherwise, my personal favorite neck pup is the SD Seth Lover.
In the neck? You're nuts...

there's no point in replacing pickups, there's too many other things that need sorting out before a pickup swap becomes a viable upgrade.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
In the neck? You're nuts...

there's no point in replacing pickups, there's too many other things that need sorting out before a pickup swap becomes a viable upgrade.

i misread the TS, JB in the bridge, 59 in the neck?
yea, JB/59 or JB/Jazz will cover a lot of ground. one of the most versatile combinations. though i'd rather sell the les paul 100 and get a les paul standard or a MIM strat. but i understand the first guitar attachment. luckily for me my first electric guitar was a MIM strat.

also look at a vox valvetronix. a lot of UGers seem to like it a lot. An alternative is the roland cube. don't get the spider, it cannot take pedals at all and its only possible use is as a practice and only practice amp. most of its modes are pretty unusable imo. i've tried a 30 watt spider III, and my first amp (still have it), which is the roland cube-30, and it really outshines the spider.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Last edited by lithium26 at Oct 22, 2008,
Roland microcube is a great amp I just got it a couple months ago, don't get the spider.