So for the talent show at school a bunch of my friends and I decided we'd play something. We got a girl that can really sing. She can really belt it, and I think it'd be perfect if we played something bluesy. Any idea of a song where I could have some fun on the guitar and she'd really be able to let loose on the vocals?
Quote by Jrsnyder881
I like Stone the Crow by Down it has a bluesy feel to it :p

phil anselmo has a vagina?!
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Try maybe an Aretha Franklin tune. Not blues, but sort of a bluesy style.

If not, maybe Susan Tedeschi?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Koko Taylor, Bonnie Ratt. SRV's old band, The Cobra's. Honestly, any blues song will do. Doesn't have to be a female vocalist that a sang the original. If she has the blues, then she'll do fine.
Last edited by Iceman 420 at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by Iceman 420
Koko Taylor, Bonnie Ratt. SRV's old band, The Cobra's. Honestly, any blues song will do. Doesn't have to be a female vocalist that a sang the original. If she's the blues, then she'll do fine.

TRUUUUUUUUUUUE
Nobody's mentioned Susan Tedeschi yet? She's got some talent.

edit - nevermind.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
A song I always enjoyed a female singer on is "Mustang Sally" more of a R n B tune, but should be pretty fitting for what you're looking for
I seem to remember Grace Potter & The Nocturnals having some bluesy songs, but more country/acoustic based.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Sing whatever, play in a different key if she needs you to. If she's a good singer, it'll be good.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
BB King has some jams with a woman that can really sing.
Also check Black Velvet. Quite bluesy.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Bonnie Raitt is the obvious choice. Queen of the slide. But you may want to turn to the 20s-30s to look for the great female blues singers.
Quote by urik

Also check Black Velvet. Quite bluesy.

+1 also check out Debbie Davies
Something by Janis Joplin?
Gear:

Gibson SG Standard.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 Half stack.
Cry Baby Wah pedal.
Nina Simone - Feelin' Good

Nina Simone - I Put A Spell On You

Duster Bennett - Times Like These (Duster's girlfriend [later wife] helps on vocals) - slow and dark number! It's on youtube if you've not got his albums....
Quote by Angus~Young
Something by Janis Joplin?

ball & chain
try some Debbie Davies good stuff Itunes has a bunch of her stuff
Susan Tedeschi. Ana Popovich. Both are hot, both have the blues.
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
i was watchin this DVD that had old footage of all the blues greats: muddy waters, howlin wolf, etc...and there was this girl that sang with John Lee Hooker...at least i think it was him, idk cant remember, but anyway it sounded REAL! soulful.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
As already stated, Janis Joplin is a great pick. A very good singer in my opinion. Do something a long the lines of Summertime(what blues singer didn't do this song?), Peice of my Heart or Cry. All very good songs that are kinda what you are looking for.
Quote by Dchild042
Susan Tedeschi

Yup, came here to recommend her. Saw her on Conan recently and she tore it up.
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
Try Helen Humes. Here's a great video with her, T-Bone Walker, Terry & McGhee, Willie Dixon, Memphis Slim, and Jump Jackson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXywhqP1ho seriously awesome lineup.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Last edited by aetherspear at Feb 16, 2009,
Melissa Ethridge or Tracy Chapman maybe? Also if you have time to make arrange it properly some Heart songs have a lot of blues roots.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Last edited by telemonster at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by michaelscofield
Yup, came here to recommend her. Saw her on Conan recently and she tore it up.

That was a great performance