I've only had my Bass since Sunday night, and am currently horrible. Can anyone suggest any easy song to start off with, something to work towards, but nothing too complicated? I currently can't even play the first bass line of Dani California, just so you know how weak my skills are right now...

Edit: I don't even have my amp yet. It should get here sometime this week.
Last edited by herby190 at Oct 21, 2008,
nirvana has a lot of catchy easy bass lines. come as you are is the most famous. smells like teen spirit, polly, lithium. it goes on.
Well do you listen to Blink 182?
All their bass stuff is pretty easy.
Also, try "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes. It's hella-catchy, and hella-easy too.
Good luck
Quote by jimivancobain
nirvana has a lot of catchy easy bass lines. come as you are is the most famous. smells like teen spirit, polly, lithium. it goes on.

I'm suprised I didn't think of that. That's a good idea, thanks!
Last edited by herby190 at Oct 21, 2008,
try This Is The Place by the Red Hot CHili Peppers.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I'll check out a few of the suggestions, but I'm mainly just looking for ones I have a copy of, so I know how it should sound. I have most of Nirvana's songs, so that looks like a good idea. Thanks for the help everybody!
Firstly make sure you know the 'mechanics' of playing your bass, how to fret the strings properly and how to pluck the strings with your fingers while your thumb anchored on the pick-up.

Then learn Happy Birthday

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc/happy_birthday_to_you_btab.htm

and no, I'm not kidding, its a great first song to learn, easy, fun, involves skipping a string and will introduce you to playing your bass.

Start easy like that and you'll be Flea, Cliff Burton and Victor Wooten all rolled in one before ya know it.
In the bass forum, there is a huge thread on songs. Check it out, the list for easy is pretty extensive and crosses a lot of genres.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540804
Thanks for the list. I disagree with a couple of the skill levels, but it's pretty useful still.
Quote by bombsquadjunky
Well do you listen to Blink 182?
All their bass stuff is pretty easy.
Also, try "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes. It's hella-catchy, and hella-easy too.
Good luck

yea seven nation army is EASY and really fun!!!
blink 182 is mostly easy!!! but mark does make some absslines hard to paly, man overboard isnt the easiest thing in the world. ohh none of the tabs on here are right for it, they're to slow, listen to the song and you'll hear mark hitting the 10th fret constantly while doing the main tune on 12 10 9
but yeah, blinks the best thing to do
and bowling for soup!!! so easy!! the first song i learnt was 1985
try some greenday, longview is a hard song, but things liek maria and warning arnt! and they're fun!
well good luck!!!