well i have tough choice either a Warwick or a Rickenbacker
From Warwick - Corvette $$ and from Rickenbacker - Model 4003
I already played on the Warwick and its great but i could never find a Rickenbacker plz let me know which one is better or other around 2,000 thanks
Quote by imdeth
There was a big spider (Spinarak) on my wall so I rolled up a newspaper and shouted "swift!" and killed it. It was super effective.
Two totally different beasts, both great in their on ways aswell. You will have a very hard time finding a Rickenbacker unless you get a used one. Theres actually a two year waiting list for new ones. Me personally would get the Ricky if I could ever find one. Warwicks were just never my thing.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by Sinister Jim
well i have tough choice either a Warwick or a Rickenbacker
From Warwick - Corvette $$ and from Rickenbacker - Model 4003
I already played on the Warwick and its great but i could never find a Rickenbacker plz let me know which one is better or other around 2,000 thanks

i just took a look at your profile, and it seems you have alot of metal in your musical repetoire - so if your bent on either a 'wick or a 'rick, it would probably have to be the warwick. Rickenbackers are GREAT basses, if you have the right taste for it. But it doesnt handle drop tunings (other than D standard) very well because of its scale length. Higher gauged strings and a good amp, and you can make it sound decent, but i think metal tunings kinda ruin the rick tone.

Id also consider looking into something different - right now im looking at the Fender Marcus Miller jazz bass, and alot of people here have spoken highly of it, and the bassists from Opeth and Megadeth use them.

But it would help more if i knew what kind of music you play =D
Ricks are SLIGHTLY shorter than 34" which isn't a big difference for E standard, but once you get into C the tension likely gets kinda poor. The Rick I played didn't blow my mind, but that's not to say that it wasn't good. Though I will say (along with many others) that Warwicks with single coils tend to sound better. I can say the neck humbucker on the $$ isn't good soloed.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
i just took a look at your profile, and it seems you have alot of metal in your musical repetoire - so if your bent on either a 'wick or a 'rick, it would probably have to be the warwick. Rickenbackers are GREAT basses, if you have the right taste for it. But it doesnt handle drop tunings (other than D standard) very well because of its scale length. Higher gauged strings and a good amp, and you can make it sound decent, but i think metal tunings kinda ruin the rick tone.

Id also consider looking into something different - right now im looking at the Fender Marcus Miller jazz bass, and alot of people here have spoken highly of it, and the bassists from Opeth and Megadeth use them.

But it would help more if i knew what kind of music you play =D

I play metal and im learning some jazz and blues
Quote by imdeth
There was a big spider (Spinarak) on my wall so I rolled up a newspaper and shouted "swift!" and killed it. It was super effective.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Ricks are SLIGHTLY shorter than 34" which isn't a big difference for E standard, but once you get into C the tension likely gets kinda poor. The Rick I played didn't blow my mind, but that's not to say that it wasn't good. Though I will say (along with many others) that Warwicks with single coils tend to sound better. I can say the neck humbucker on the $$ isn't good soloed.

I would tend to agree with this statement (as the owner of a Corvette $$). However, that is not at all to say that the bass is not capable of some amazing tones. The Bridge humbucker sounds great soloed, but blending with the neck can create some great (growly) metal and rock tones. Trust me when I say that this bass is very versatile. I have owned mine for several months now and I am still constantly playing around with the electronics to find new tones. I play almost every genre of music from death metal to funk to smooth jazz and this bass has never failed me. Even in passive (as my $$ is much of the time) the bass is certainly not a one trick pony. With the various blend settings and the ability to select from 3 separate coil settings for each pick-up you can create a sound that will fit with almost any style.

BeastEdit: TS, I personally would always go with the Warwick, but I'm a bit biased. I just know that I would never trade my $$ for a Ric (and I love Rics).
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
ive never tried a ric and im interested in them, the only store in my city taht has them has to have them ordered, and me pay first before looking at it. it kinda sucks but is it worth buying one without even playing it?
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
The neck pickup sounded exactly like the bridge pickup did, sounded exactly as a humbucker under the bridge, on the back of the guitar, on the headstock, and in my pocket.

Anyway, you simply cannot buy an axe like that by just asking us. They have 2 totally distinct and inescapable tones. They play like night and day. You need to pick the one you like better, and the one you think is the best axe you've played. If you are lukewarm about either, get something else.

And the Streamer $$ is around the same price level as the Ric 4003, not the Corvette $$. The Corvette $$ NT maybe.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The neck pickup sounded exactly like the bridge pickup did, sounded exactly as a humbucker under the bridge, on the back of the guitar, on the headstock, and in my pocket.

Anyway, you simply cannot buy an axe like that by just asking us. They have 2 totally distinct and inescapable tones. They play like night and day. You need to pick the one you like better, and the one you think is the best axe you've played. If you are lukewarm about either, get something else.

And the Streamer $$ is around the same price level as the Ric 4003, not the Corvette $$. The Corvette $$ NT maybe.

Yes, I know they are the same pickup, but you have to agree that soloing the bridge on a $$ produces a markedly different tone than soloing the neck pickup

Also, the Streamer $$ is actually considerably more expensive than a Ric. A new Ric retails for about $2100 whereas the Streamer $$ retails for $2999. And, whereas you could easily buy a used Ric for somewhere around $1000, I have only ever seen one used Streamer $$ for sale, and it sold for a little less than $2000.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Quote by Caustic
I am currently trying to think of something similar about the two basses you have stated.

Different designs, neck shapes, pickup styles, electronics, body woods, brand. In fact, bar the fact they are both basses, there is no real similarity.

If you enjoyed one Warwick, try as many as you can. I prefer the standard to the $$ models, despite being cheaper. The single coils have a far more natural growl in my ears.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you haven't played a Rickenbacker and won't be able to play one before you buy this bass, rule it out of the equation. To spend that kind of money pretty much blind on a marmite bass like a Ric would be stupid.

EDIT: Ben, looks like we both have marmite on the mind .
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
If you haven't played a Rickenbacker and won't be able to play one before you buy this bass, rule it out of the equation. To spend that kind of money pretty much blind on a marmite bass like a Ric would be stupid.

EDIT: Ben, looks like we both have marmite on the mind .

I f*cking hate marmite But aye, it is folly to buy a bass unseen. All these people saying "buy a Spector", for example... I tried an NS4 yesterday at £2200 and really didn't think it deserved the price tag. So, proof that one should always try before the buying. Or risk being flogged by the depraved souls guarding the gates of Hell (or the doors of my housemates when on their time of the month).
I have the rare luck to actually be able to try Rics. I've played both the 4001 and 4003 models. You either love or hate them period. I'd love to have a Ric but for the type of music I play its a bit too distinct and boutique a sound to justify that kind of outlay of cash.

The other thing to remember its that beyond the marmite factor, the head stock is a bit unique in the back and sticks out, esp. on the 4001 in a way that some find a bit awkward for thumb placement on the lower frets. I wouldn't buy one blind, nor any bass for that matter.
Quote by Beast_Within
Yes, I know they are the same pickup, but you have to agree that soloing the bridge on a $$ produces a markedly different tone than soloing the neck pickup

Nononono, I meant (and am pretty sure typed) that they SOUNDED the same. I was shocked at how similar the sound was. It was as if the panning knob only went from 50% neck to 50% bridge.

And the Streamer $$ really costs that much? I had it pegged at around $2200 for some reason. Maybe I was thinking of the Corvette NT.

I also have played a Ric 4003. I thought it was a solid instrument, but made no immediate connection with it like I did with some instruments. It wasn't heavy, it wasn't thick, and it didn't feel as 'there' as I expected.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Nononono, I meant (and am pretty sure typed) that they SOUNDED the same. I was shocked at how similar the sound was. It was as if the panning knob only went from 50% neck to 50% bridge.

And the Streamer $$ really costs that much? I had it pegged at around $2200 for some reason. Maybe I was thinking of the Corvette NT.

I also have played a Ric 4003. I thought it was a solid instrument, but made no immediate connection with it like I did with some instruments. It wasn't heavy, it wasn't thick, and it didn't feel as 'there' as I expected.

Huh? I'm not even sure what we are arguing about anymore, so **** it

As for the Streamer $$, it turns out you're almost right. After some careful internet searching, I have found several new $$'s for between $2300 and $2600. And as for the Corvette $$ NT, average retail is over $3,200
Quote by Caustic
Quote by Beast_Within
Huh? I'm not even sure what we are arguing about anymore, so **** it

As for the Streamer $$, it turns out you're almost right. After some careful internet searching, I have found several new $$'s for between $2300 and $2600. And as for the Corvette $$ NT, average retail is over $3,200

Really? Holy hell... and this is after seeing a 1993 Thumb NT sell on eBay for $1750...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Really? Holy hell... and this is after seeing a 1993 Thumb NT sell on eBay for $1750...

I was watching that same bass. Damn my lack of $1750

Also, I doubt that a used Corvette $$ NT would go for anywhere near $3200, I just never see any on the used market. In fact, about the only Warwicks that I commonly see on Ebay/Craigslist/Classifieds are the Corvette Std, Corvette $$, Thumb BO/NT, Streamer St I, and Fortress. Maybe a Corvette Jazzman or a Dolphin Pro every once and a while, but not often. With Warwicks, it all comes down to patience. I bought all of mine (just picked up my third ) used at very good prices, but I looked for months before finding each of them.
Quote by Caustic
Quote by corrda00
Cliff played ricks. So i say rick.

He played an Aria most of the time. And the ric he played was so modified it doesn't count. Hell, it had a mudbucker in the neck, a Gibson mudbucker.
Quote by watchingmefall
He played an Aria most of the time. And the ric he played was so modified it doesn't count. Hell, it had a mudbucker in the neck, a Gibson mudbucker.

But it's Cliff!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
But it's Cliff!

oh dear fitzy, quit fanboying. we know how much you adore Cliff already...

if it was me, easily the Warwick. active, nicer neck finish, not as cool looking but ya know, if you put something shiny on your strap and use vivid facial expressions, nobody is gonna even care. also, as I haven't played a Ric and doubt I will anytime soon, suggest you follow suit if you've played said Warwick and like it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom