Does anybody know of a good amp for dorm life?

We're talking about something thats
1) cheap
2)compact
3) small enough for practice
4) but big enough to jam with
5) of course it has to sound nice too!

Just thought it would be interesting since most of us are highschool or college age.

(also I am probably gonna sell my avt half stack and am looking for suggestions on a new amp and what to look for)

DISCUSS!!!
well i'm a senior this year in highschool, and for college i think i am going to get an orange Tiny Terror head and a 1 speaker cab. this is mainly because it is small enough for a dorm room to be stored, and able to be hooked up to a 4x10 cab for gigs. for a dorm room though, i doubt i'm going to be playing through an amp much, they are loud enough to be heard in the next room or 2 no matter how softly played.

i'm thinking headphones most of the time sadly.

there's some headphone amps for like 40 bucks that you just plug in and it's all set... i might try one of those.. sadly again
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Tiny Terror for sure. But to be totally honest, I've played stacks and stuff like that in dorms. My one friend has a mesa dual rec, orange something or other, and another head in his little room. Then again, I go to a music school where it's kind of accepted that we play guitar a LOT. But seriously, get headphones for after quiet hours, and whatever you want for before then.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
So far I have used a Peavey 15W Rage I think but it is broken, the 2 channels became one and now it works like a tube amp with distortion...weird

The guy down the hall from me is using a Vox valvetronix, idk how many watts though, I should ask him.

I was thinking about one of those though maybe
Finding an amp that's small enough for (cranked) dorm practice but big enough for jams is near impossible, if you're using a drummer. But I like my roommates Champion 600 for what I play.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
line 6 ? um maybe u want like a ten-thirty watt
MY GEAR

dean metalman bass
epiphone sg
squier infinity series telecaster
fender 15 watt bass amp
boss ds 1 distortion pedal
dean 6 string cutaway acoustic
zakk wylde signature crybaby
line 6's are horrible. don't go with that.

and as for the person who said Tiny Terror Combo, i figure why not just get the head, that way you can change out cabs for playing gigs and stuff

if you are just looking for a practice amp, get some cheap solid state 30 watt amp for like 300 bucks
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
egnater rebel 20--- just new

comes with 1 watt-20 watt knob---- no worries--- also for practicing you really don't need cranked poewr tube saturation just make do with a "inferior" tone --- set master volume to like 0.1 and hit it with a pedal. it should be quiet enough me thinks
Id reccomend B-52.

I have the AT-112 60 watt all tube combo and im probably taking it with me
you guys really like those tubes, I was definately thinking solid state would be a better choice because it can take more of a beating and is generally cheaper

Not to mention more versitility at the lower volumes.
Quote by mr. cool
you guys really like those tubes, I was definately thinking solid state would be a better choice because it can take more of a beating and is generally cheaper

Not to mention more versitility at the lower volumes.

What I linked was SS. Tubes are no good for low volumes IMO.
Peavy Vyper, maybe the 60w tube cause you can hook in up to a cab for gigs...i think!
____________My Gear:___________

Bad SX starter kit Guitar
Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250
Bugera 333xl 212 Fund $0/$880

Finally got myspace, go check it out ---> www.myspace.com/ianbearmusic
To the person who said Line6 are horrible: DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND GET OFF THE BANDWAGON! The Spider range admittedly suck ass but to tar the whole brand just because of one piece of kit? Madness. The Flextones are great practice/jamming amps with good cleans too. I take it you haven't played one? Or a Vetta II? Or a HD147?

To the thread starter: yeah SS will certainly allow for low volumes but it's all a bit of a compromise. You could look at the Killer Ant by Blackheart (1W) or maybe a Zvex nano......

Good luck anyway and good luck in your studies!
Crate v series dude! Get the 18watt version, its a nice size. IDK about hooking it to a cab though, might want to check out the back to see if it has an extension

EDIT:woot! 8ohm speaker extension.

YEAH BIG PICTURE!!!!!!

Last edited by sesstreets at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by 667
MicroCube.

Tried that myself as an apartment amp...worst amp ever, and not even worthy as a small SS... the old 80s SS Fender amps are infinitely better.
I'm surprised with how loud you can be in our dorms. No matter how loud you are playing guitar, someone is yelling at call of duty 4 louder.

IMO, size is more important than volume and still then you learn how to make more room. I've considered making our room have bunkbeds for more activity space for more activities.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Budget?
And what kind of music do you play?
I'm Crystal Lake so hey there local UG'er!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Acquiescence
egnater rebel 20--- just new

comes with 1 watt-20 watt knob---- no worries--- also for practicing you really don't need cranked poewr tube saturation just make do with a "inferior" tone --- set master volume to like 0.1 and hit it with a pedal. it should be quiet enough me thinks

the "master volume" on the egnater dosent really do much it just adds a bit more juice to the preamp if you ask me, it does sound sweet in low levels tough.
i wouldnt get a tube amp for bedroom practice unless it was like 5 watts, even then its alot of power.

Quote by pak1351
Super champ xd is what I went with for this very situation, and a 300 usd budget

+100
this would be perfect for bedroom levels, very sweet amp, beats out spiders, valvetronix, or roland.