I am a junior in high school. In a year from now, I gotta be doing applications for colleges. Right now I have maintained a 3.7 GPA at my private Jesuit high school so I am a relatively hard worker and might be up for a scholarship or something. I have thought about going into law. The reason being, if you have a law degree you can pretty much do anything you want considering law school is one of the highest forms of education. I was thinking of maybe going to law school to specialize in Music Law but quite frankly, I don't know if law is going to be exciting enough. On one hand, I want to have money and live comfortably and be able to afford to have fun, but on the other hand, I want to do something that I really love. Music + law might be the perfect combination but I dont know. Maybe I could start a huge recording studio, but I dont know how financially stable that it is. Does anyone have any incite on this?

Also, I need to start really looking at colleges. I want to go to some place that is fun (Colorado, Boston, etc.). I will only go to college once so I want it to be awesome! I am not there to party, but I will say that I will definitely party sometimes. I will go to my counselor tomorrow to check out some colleges but does anyone recommend any?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Well, if it weren't for your Missouri backing, I'd tell you to come be friends with me at KU...
I go to St. John's in Queens, it is respected as a law school. Also, they will throw money at you. THEY contacted ME to offer me $20,000/year. I'm basically going there for free.

It is a catholic school but it does not have an overbearing catholic or religious feel. It's very diverse, lots of people of different faiths or not faith, feels like any other regular college. You do have to take a few theology classes as core classes though.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
boston college law school is one of the best might be hard to get into but a future is guaranteed with a law degree from there, of course theres harvard law which is in boston but i dont think thats what you want, as for your future go to a college with a solid department in both music and law and when you get there you could sample each with courses from those departments and later decide what you really want to do
Hamline in Minnesota FTW.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by Schneiderman
I go to St. John's in Queens, it is respected as a law school. Also, they will throw money at you. THEY contacted ME to offer me $20,000/year. I'm basically going there for free.

It is a catholic school but it does not have an overbearing catholic or religious feel. It's very diverse, lots of people of different faiths or not faith, feels like any other regular college. You do have to take a few theology classes as core classes though.

I r Catholic..
and this is interesting to me.
at the end of the day you want to be doing something you love. i'd rather get a job that pays 30 000$ a year that i absolutely love than a job that pays 175 000$ that I'm miserable at. think about it this way. when you wake up every morning for the rest of your life you want to be excited for the day, excited for work because you love it. choose somethign you love to do and everything else will fall into place, don't go into something just for money.
Quote by garrett5
I r Catholic..
and this is interesting to me.

If you have questions you can PM me and I'll do my best to answer them, I won't get to it until tomorrow night though.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
well this might give you some perspective. I'm studying engineering, I'm a junior in college. I really really hate school right now. My courses are pretty difficult and I'm just not motivated. Anyway, heres my point. I'm going to stick with it because I know I can do it, whether I like it or not, and an engineering degree is generally pretty well respected. Don't get me wrong, I do like engineering, but I'm just really tired of school. I figure by getting my degree I will be able to make a good salary which will fuel my other interests, such as music, and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm saying that there's a good chance you won't LOVE your job once you get out of school, which is alright, because work should only be a part of your life. Definitely pick something that you can stand doing. Like I said before, I like engineering, and I picked it because I think in the long run I will be pretty successful in that industry, but also because I know it's not feasible to try and open a recording studio or be in a band or whatever.
Come to McGill, better school than most American ones you'd be trying for (except for a couple Ivy Leaguers and whatnot) at a fraction of the tuition (I'm talking 4-5 times less here) The campus is downtown, a couple minutes from anything you'd want, and Montreal is the city with the most restaurants in North America (not bad considering that we're a quarter the size of New York) so you're assured fine cuisine.

And McGill is uber english so the language issue really isn't a problem, it actually has a lot of history and controversy about it being so english. I plan on going there once I'm done cegep, I'm going into biology but they have a very reputable law school. I think the main advantage is that you'll have virtually no student loans to pay off compared to american universities, and the college is better than most of em.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
TS, try University of Washington. I'm pretty sure you'd love Seattle....hell everyone loves Seattle. You could probably get in.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by Les Paul57
at the end of the day you want to be doing something you love. i'd rather get a job that pays 30 000$ a year that i absolutely love than a job that pays 175 000$ that I'm miserable at. think about it this way. when you wake up every morning for the rest of your life you want to be excited for the day, excited for work because you love it. choose somethign you love to do and everything else will fall into place, don't go into something just for money.

That sounds good, but would you really do it? I'm not sure I would; I would never take a job where I would be miserable but I see it as more of a compromise. I mean you have to think about what your goals are outside of work, if you want to have a family one day (most people will have a family sooner or later) would it be better to live of $30,000 or $70,000. I don't mean this in a materialistic way, even though it may sound that way.
Screw college. Go squat for a week and then you'll feel like a king even without a college education.
I feel like the floor of a taxi cab.